CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens .410 bolt action Model 59B
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Does anyone know about these guns? I recently inherited one that is in pretty rough shape. It still fires and the action is very smooth but the finish and stock are bad. I have been able to at least keep it in working order over the years but now that I own it I want to refinish it.

First, it was originally blued but it has all come off and it is down to the steel. Can I have it stripped to reveal the bright natural color of the steel? Is this something that I can do myself?(being pretty handy) or is it something only a gunsmith can do?

Second, at some point in the last couple years the bead got knocked off and the base is still threaded in flush with the barrel. Is there any hope of removing/replacing it?

Third, Where is the best place to find a replacement stock unfinished?

Ryan

Post subject: re: Stevens .410 bolt action Model 59B
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Your best bet is to strip the metal yourself. Then have a gunsmith dip it for you, or cold blue. You won't destroy the value of your gun, because it has none, except to you. Check ebay for stocks, but refinishing that will be easier than the metal.
If it is not cracked refinish it.
Numrich may also have stocks, or buy another gun just for the stock if you find one.
The bead is an easy replacement. Getting the old part out will be your biggest headache.