CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Springfield Model 67F
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought a 67F from a friend over the weekend. I bought it for a good price, but have been told by some that the 67 has a history of being a POS. :?:

Whats the scoop? This is going to be a beater gun for my sons to use. Its not going to be my go-to gun.
Thanks

Post subject: re: Springfield Model 67F
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's not a bad design. The early ones worked well.

What makes some Model 67's the worst modern repeating shotguns is that near the end, about twenty years ago or so, Savage let quality control of everything, parts, fit, finish, assembly, just everything, get so bad that a majority of those last guns wouldn't even function. I had a buddy buy one at Wal Mart in the middle 80's, and he took it back, time and time again, trying to find one that would work, and finally got his money back. I've seen others that were just utter junk.

I do own a Savage Model 30, which is a dressed up version of your gun, that was made about 1960. It's a queen. Great quality, fit, finish, and function.

If your gun works at all, it should keep right on working.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I have one I inherited from my father in law. It was made in the late 1970s and is a POS and had only been fired a couple of times before he died (hence no sentimentality about it). As I wouldn't get much for it, I keep it as a back up gun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a 67H. It was my very first firearm that didn't use air as the propellant. My dad got it for me when I was 12 for my birthday. I hunted with it for about 12 years as my only shotgun and it has been fine. All the scratches and dings I put on it are memories not flaws, at least to me. If I ever have to sell every thing I own it will be one of the last things to go. I did have to replace the little screw and ring on the right side of the receiver (retainer screw?) when it vibrated out while bouncing it around on an ATV, but that is the only thing I have ever had to have done.

NSCA #604835
Click here to see my home club
Click here to see my favorite place to shoot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dad bought me a 67 when I graduated high school in 67. He paid 35.00 which was a lot of money then for a steel foundry worker.
It's not beautiful and sometimes the shells would hang up but I have held on to her for sentimental reasons. It is in like new shape. I killed a lot of game with it including a 160 class whitetail using slugs. IT was all I had to use.
She sits in the gun case now, again for sentimental reasons.