CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skeet vs Cyl choke?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just bought my first O/U this weekend, Yildiz SPZ ME in 12 gauge, and plan on using it for Skeet and Sporting Clays. It didn't come with a "skeet" choke. I have Cyl, Imp Cyl, Mod, Imp Mod and Full. I know that for starters I'll be using the Imp Cyl in the bottom and Cyl in the top (I shoot the bottom barrel first and going away shots are easier for me). I'm planning on getting a couple of the Briley extended chokes and was wondering if it would be better to get Skeet chokes or Cyl. I understand that I still need to do my part to break the clays but I'd like to at least have the right equipment.

Oh and for the record I've been shooting a pump for the last couple of months that has a Mod choked barrel on it, although I don't know if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: re: Skeet vs Cyl choke?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:25 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Junkers 88,

Just order Skeet chokes, which will have a nominal .005 thousands of restriction. At least 75 to 80 percent of Skeeters use these chokes. A few use Cyl. and many top shooters use tighter chokes than Skeet, but for all around Skeet shooting, Skeet choke is without doubt the best.

In comparison, your Cyl. chokes have .000 restriction and the Imp. Cyl. chokes have .010 restriction.

DLM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:56 am 
Crown Grade

You and DLM are both right. :D The cyl/imp cyl combo should work very well, but if you are fairly serious, skeet choke is the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

According to O'Connor and other writers in the 40's Cylinder chokes were not desirable as they tended to have "blown" or "doughnut" patterns due to the wads . It was found that a small amount of choke improved the patterns, thus the term "improved cylinder". Early skeet shooters wanted the widest possible pattern, thus the spreader choke in the Cutts Compensator. Not wanting blown patterns, fixed choke skeet guns were given the minimum constriction possible that would result in quality patterns, thus wide but even patterns. With the advent of the plastic wads, blown patterns in cylinder chokes are the thing of the past. In 12 or 20 ga guns there is no reason to use any thing tighter than cylinder chokes.

BTW, in the early 50's there was one prominent gunsmith that introduced a special choke design that had a series of slight constrictions and then a slight bell shaped muzzle. The ripples were designed to "catch the wads" and the bell shaped muzzle was to spread the shot. Don't know if it worked or not.

259xx

Post subject: Re: re: Skeet vs Cyl choke?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ke4yyd wrote:
BTW, in the early 50's there was one prominent gunsmith that introduced a special choke design that had a series of slight constrictions and then a slight bell shaped muzzle. The ripples were designed to "catch the wads" and the bell shaped muzzle was to spread the shot. Don't know if it worked or not.

That's sort of the principle behind the Tula chokes, which fall somewhere between the idea you've noted and the cutts compensator. In the case of my K-80, it's a negative constriction...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

IMHO, shoot the C/IC for skeet for about 4-5 months then if you decide that you want to get serious about skeet buy a set of skeet chokes.
If you going to shoot skeet just for fun and keeping your bird shooting skills sharp then there is no reason to spend any more money what you got will work fine. :D

Post subject: Re: re: Skeet vs Cyl choke?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:07 am 

Buckshot Bob wrote:
IMHO, shoot the C/IC for skeet for about 4-5 months then if you decide that you want to get serious about skeet buy a set of skeet chokes.
If you going to shoot skeet just for fun and keeping your bird shooting skills sharp then there is no reason to spend any more money what you got will work fine. :D

...and then go LM/IM.... :D

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:26 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

ke4yyd-David,

Your opinion is one that I've heard before. However I'm not convinced at all.

I have tried going from my Skeet chokes to Briley Cyl. chokes and the results are always the same. Oversize patterns and very sparce density. Instead of the solid breaks I get with Skeet chokes, the Cyl chokes yield chippy to poor breaks with only an occasional solid break.

This has been my experience with two different guns and the .005 Skeet chokes produce far better patterns in both.

Your statement may have some merit in theory, but in practice, it has proved otherwise for me, as well as others I am aware of.

DLM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DLM, What works for one may not work for others. I am not convinced of your opinion either. :) :)

As said before, 25 chips beats 24 smokes. :) :)

259xx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:05 pm 
Limited Edition

One test does not make for a definitive study but... A few months ago I tested all the choke tubes in a 30" 12 ga Beretta 682 Sporting that I'd bought. Set up at 22 yds for the open CT's and 40 for those I'd use for trap or longer sporting.

At 22 yds the CYL gave me a pattern larger than the 30" cardboard squares I used as pattern boards. With 7/8 oz loads there were several "holes" a tgt could slip through. I tried both 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads and the 1 1/8 DID add density to the pattern. BUT I don't use any more than 1 oz for skeet anyway.

Adding the SKEET tubes dropped pattern size to about 24" in diam and the density was far tighter. And thats with the 7/8 oz loads.

I have to agree with DLM I'd rather have a bit of density and place my patterns on a target than go CYL and have such a thin pattern.

For skeet I'd suggest a pair of SKT tubes.

FN in MT

BMWMOA #69950
NSSA #173287

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

You've gotten good advice as to why you should buy skeet chokes. I've never known anyone to use cylinder chokes that was very serious about shooting clay targets. Chips don't do much for the confidence level and that's about all your going to get with a cylinder choke especially on any of the outgoing targets. Go ahead and try or put something on paper and I'll bet you'll get the same results that FN and DL Marcum have stated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I say figure out what load your going to be shooting first. If your shooting 1 1/8, 1 oz or 7/8 ounce most of the time. Might want to think about a couple of IC chokes for everything. They will go farther on the sporting clays and still wotk fine w/ skeet especially if your shooting a mod choke now. I own a yildiz along with some others, wouldn't want to buy more than a couple of chokes for a 400.00 gun. Nothing against a inexpensive shotgun but I like to keep them that way. I like the extended chokes as much for barrel end protection, replacing a 50.00 choke is much less expensive than fixing a barrel.