CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ported barrels on an O/U worth it?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:10 pm 
Field Grade

The O/U that I'm looking at is not ported.Does porting really make a difference?Can I get it done reliably after I buy it?Any idea of cost?

Gun will mostly be used for SC's.

Rob

Post subject: re: ported barrels on an O/U worth it?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have 2 clays guns. One is ported the other is not. I shot the ported gun more than the other one. For Sporting Clays I think the porting helps hold the barrels down for the second shot. I think the jury is out on reducing the recoil or pattern control. I would not spend money to have ports installed, but I probably would buy the gun with ports if given the choice of two guns that fit properly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rob,

Porting is not worth the cash outlay. If you have an O/U with 30" barrels or longer there will be no noticeable reduction in muzzle flip. If the forcing cones are short (as with a Browning 245) lengthening them would be a better investment to reduce recoil.

JJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have ported and non ported guns. I have never realized or noticed any benefit from the porting.
On the other hand I don't have many negatives short of the irritation around cleaning the porting, which seems to snag everything and look dirty even when it isn't.
I've also heard some complain that other shooters don't like to shoot around ported guns because of a louder report. I personally haven't noticed that nor have I heard it mentioned at my club or anyone I shoot with. It might be a hunting issue though and I don't hunt with any ported guns.

RVN 67,68 & 69

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've got a K-80 that has over 200 porting holes drilled in it (!!). The report is louder than anything else on the field... without a doubt.

Aside from that, I don't have a consideration for it one way or the other. As far as cleaning, the pipe cleaners that have the little brass wires sticking out of them work great and are very quick.

Post subject: Re: ported barrels on an O/U worth it?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rob Eades wrote:
The O/U that I'm looking at is not ported.Does porting really make a difference?Can I get it done reliably after I buy it?Any idea of cost?
Rob

The answers to your questions are NO and YES and
NO MATTER WHAT IT COSTS,IT ISN´T WORTH IT :wink:
Best regards.
Mannsi.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with those recommending to avoid guns with ported barrels. Before I knew anything about stock fitting, I had a 101 ported in an attempt to reduce barrel rise that was driving the comb into my cheek. Porting did nothing to correct the problem.

What was even worse was trying to train fleas with solvent saturated fuzz super glued to their bodies to crawl back and forth through the porting holes to clean them.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 am 
Presentation Grade

The Information Parade continues - Nope, Yup, Way Too Much. Shoot Safe - SidelockSxS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:48 am 
Crown Grade

A Sporting clays gun without porting! :w

:lol: I don't know I really like the porting. Does it help? I have no hard evidence. Gun came that way and it works for me. When you shoot with ported barrels the amout of movement of the surroundings like leaves on near by trees is impressive. The amount of gasses it bleeds off has to be somewhat benifical imo. Draw backs to some is noise is louder ( mostly for the ones off to the side of you) and some complain about cleaning them. Almost every gun you see on the field has porting. I have not asked, "what? or huh?" anymore than normal because of them nor do I find them to be a PITA to clean. Would I have a non ported gun ported? Maybe, maybe not? I have had pistols ported with great success. I might have a shotgun done to if it wasn't, but I don't know. I do know I wanted porting and porting is what I got.

Last edited by 01lariat on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not worth it and won't buy one with ported barrels.

“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” —Samuel Adams

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just an opinion of course.

Mauldin, Cherry, McGuires and MANY, MANY other top guys have porting. Do you think if it really sucked or didn't work they would have porting????

My point is whether it actually works or not the top guys in the clay game use it and most likely whether it works or not it is out of their mind and probably they are thinking if it only works 1% better than that is good for them to have as much of an edge as possible.

As far as noice. Last time I checked in the stand you are really not supposed to be next to the shooter. It is not polite or maybe even a rule not to be in a persons peripheral vision when shooting and add the fact that most sporting guns are SUPER long from 30inches all the way up to 34 inches.

I can see not using porting in a blind because shooters are using shorter barrels and are right on top of each other in a blind so IF there is any advantage to muzzle jump it probably doesn't outway the noise factor with the big geese or waterfowl loads.

I think for clays, YES. I think for hunting NO but it would not keep me from buying a gun becuase it has porting. For example the Benelli Cordoba is a SWEET hunting gun. It is the hunting version of their clay gun. Just because it has porting would not make me NOT buy it if I like the gun.

As far as cleaning, ARE YOU KIDDING ME about cleaning ports. It is a piece of cake and the dudes that say it isn't are either blind or don't own a tooth brush or a bore brush. Common! That is a cop out when people say that. If people were so upset at how bad it is to clean porting then why do they shoot Gas guns. They take longer than a Inertia gun????

If simple is better then everyone would either shoot pumps, O/U's or Benelli's.

CR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ported hunting guns have caused me to wear hearing protection, ALL the time now, but shooting clays you wear it anyways, so to me it doesn't really matter.

As far as it helping, not sure ,but it looks cool :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:30 pm 
Crown Grade

My "D" class completely unscientific opinion is "fine".

If the gun you're buying has ports, fine. If the gun you're buying doesn't have ports, fine.

I wouldn't spend the money to have a gun ported.

Want less recoil? Shoot shells with less muzzle velocity.

brad g.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:41 pm 
Field Grade

My dogs very much prefer that I shoot over them with a non-ported gun. I also don't care for the trouble of cleaning a ported barrel and would never buy one.

Post subject: Re: ported barrels on an O/U worth it?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rob Eades wrote:

Gun will mostly be used for SC's.

Rob

Yes porting makes a BIG difference. Makes the gun much louder and time consuming to clean.

Barrel porting has to be the biggest farce introduced into the shotgun sport. I have never noticed any less rise in my barrel shooting ported or unported barrels...

Clean the barrel, clean the porting..clean the crap from the porting out of the barrel (which shoves some of it back into the ports)..clean the ports again...rinse and repeat.

I purchased a Field Cynergy just because Browning only offered the Sporting Models with ported barrels. I have ported barrels on another shotgun I own that is currently tucked away in the safe, because of the reasons posted above.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 pm 

I have a two-barrel Perazzi set. FWIW, I'm planning on sending the heavy barrel off to get ported soon. I don't care about the cleaning issue (because it's just not that much of an issue for me--I don't need a spit polish finish in and out on my gun to be happy that I'm adequately maintaining it), and the reduction in muzzle jump is IMO beneficial.

Basically, it's a personal choice. And like everything else, we've all got our own opinions....

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm with the group that says buy the gun for the gun and don't sweat whether it's ported or not. I've only one ported gun, a Benelli SuperSport, and I really like it for clay games. Re cleaning the ports, I use a toothbrush with a little CLP product and some compressed air. It takes about two minutes. Porting, for me, is nothing to get excited about either way.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I clean my ports ever time I pull the trigger.

braddkidjr wrote: ......#1 Take responsibility for your performance. (blaming your choke for being to tight, your squad-mate for talking too loud, or the trapper for pulling too slow isn't getting you anywhere...

Post subject: Re: re: ported barrels on an O/U worth it?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Snowbound wrote:
I clean my ports ever time I pull the trigger.

+1