CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg M590A1 heat shield install fact vs myth
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, my first post so I know my words prob don't mean spit but I'm writing this for ANYONE who as asked the quetion:

Will the Mossberg heat shield fit my heavy walled barrel 590A1?

The answer is yes, it fits perfectly. I have a model 51660, this is just a bead sight model and the shield slides into place very easily. No scratching, no banging, no nothing. There is no difference at all between installing this on a 590, or a M590A1. The A1 barrel is a smaller inside diameter towards the end of the bore, thus making it thicker. This is why it also, will hold a tighter pattern than the standard 590. That in itself is something to think about.

The main reason I am writing this is because I looked hi and low for a clear answer, but mostly found text book answers that did not sound real life. I hope this will help someone avoid the time wasted looking for this answer.

Edit:
And yes, it looks BAD-ASS on a M590-A1!!! May not be functional, just intimidating. Like a P40 Fighting Tiger? Hmmm? Anyone? yup

Post subject: re: Mossberg M590A1 heat shield install fact vs myth
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

The 590A1 does have a heavy wall barrel and is larger in diameter than other standard Mossberg barrels. Both start out about the same diameter from the receiver but the standard barrel wall thickness tapers more towards the muzzle. The bore diameter stays the same until it gets to the muzzle where it depends on what choke the shotgun has. The bores of 12-gauge guns can vary anywhere from .720 to .740 inches among various manufacturers. The Mossberg heat shields will fit the 590A1 but it will have to be modified to fit.

Sounds like your 590 has a standard barrel on it and is not a 590A1. It should say 590A1 on the side of the receiver.

The 590A1 comes with cylinder bore choke.

Read this so you understand about bore diameter and choke constriction and why some shotguns pattern different with the same choke. It is good read for all.

Right choke for your shotgun Link:
http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tips_strateg ... un_062304/

GC

Last edited by MAX100 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: re: Mossberg M590A1 heat shield install fact vs myth
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

MAX100 wrote:
Sounds like your 590 has a standard barrel on it and is not a 590A1. It should say 590A1 on the side of the receiver.

He said he has a 51660, which is a M590A1 model, so he probably does have a heavy barrel, albeit with a bead sight rather than GR.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Austin12Gauge wrote:
MAX100 wrote:

He said he has a 51660, which is a M590A1 model, so he probably does have a heavy barrel, albeit with a bead sight rather than GR.

Yep, you are correct. It is a good 'ol M590A1, and there is no mistaken the thickness of this barrel. It does say so on the left side of the reciever also. The Mossberg heat shield does not have to be modified in any way to fit this barrel. Just put it on last night, not even a hint of a tight squeeze.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:07 pm 
Utility Grade

MAX100 wrote:
Read this so you understand about bore diameter and choke constriction and why some shotguns pattern different with the same choke. It is good read for all.

Right choke for your shotgun Link:
http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tips_strateg ... un_062304/

GC

Thanks for the link, it's always good to review the basics. It did not, however, explain to me how to load the darn thing. J/K :lol:

Post subject: Re: Mossberg M590A1 heat shield install fact vs myth
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Jermflux wrote:
The A1 barrel is a smaller inside diameter towards the end of the bore, thus making it thicker. This is why it also, will hold a tighter pattern than the standard 590.

You wrote this above which is not right. That is the reason I suggested you read the link. The bore diameter is the same on the standard 590. The wall thickness is different. They are both cylinder bore. Some shotguns of the same make and model and the same bore diameter and choke constriction will pattern different with the same ammo. It's all in the link.

GC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry MAX100, I did not mean to sound disrespectful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the info on the heat shield. I am sure many on here will find it useful. Mossberg tells everyone that they won't fit that shotgun.

GC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes, that had me very hesitant at first. I threw the dice and ordered one anyways expecting to have to do all kinds of crazy things to make it fit. Such was not the case thankfully. Even the provided screews were plenty long enough. I used vise grips insted of a c-clamp also (i cheated).

I just mic'ed my barrel:
.722" id muzzel
.950"OD muzzel
.950"od where front heat shield mounts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

That is a heavy barrel. The Mossberg standard barrel OD at the muzzle is about 0.860".

GC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:41 pm 
Field Grade

Jermflux, et al...
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I need some help.

After reading Jermflux's post, I ordered up the heatshield to go on my 590.

After 3 hours of consternation, bending and stretching metal with a vice, a few scrapes on the barrel... it's half a$$ mounted.
I'm pissed.

It don't fit like Jermflux suggested... at all. The barrel seems like it's too wide.

I have a though. I believe the 590 A1 ONLY comes with the heavy barrel on model 51663 (which is what I have). It's the only model that says "hvy brl" on the Mossberg site, and this would explain why Jermflux was able to mount the heatshield with easy, and why I'm having such trouble.

That said, any other thoughts on why this thing don't fit...?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:53 am 
Diamond Grade

kennedyusmc wrote:
I believe the 590 A1 ONLY comes with the heavy barrel on model 51663 (which is what I have). It's the only model that says "hvy brl" on the Mossberg site, and this would explain why Jermflux was able to mount the heatshield with easy, and why I'm having such trouble.

Sorry, kennedy, but I don't think that is correct. The 51xxx series model numbers are the heavy walled barrel version of the 590 and the the 50xxx series are the regular barrel 590s. Just because the current offering on the website only lists the 51663 that doesn't mean there aren't other 51xxx heavy wall barreled M590A1s out there, which there are. If you read this thread it was confirmend by both the model number and actually measuring the barrel.

That said I am unsure what the problem is with your installation is. I do know there are some heat shields out there that are specifically for the heavy barrel, but I also know others here have successfully installed regular heat shields. Mayby they will read this and post. Try searching as I recall someong posting, M24 I think, very specific step by step instructions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:49 am 
Tournament Grade

Maybe it's the barrel length that's causing the difference.

For example, the heat shield will fit the 20" barrel, but not the 18" barrel due to where the barrel tapers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... highlight=

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:08 am 
Diamond Grade

m24shooter wrote:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=124982&highlight=

It was M24! And from almost a year ago, no less! Maybe I don't have CRS (Can't Remember S**t) Disease after all. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I went ahead and bumped it because I've gotten three questions on that this week.

http://www.weaponevolution.com