CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage 775... Alloy receiver?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

I posted this on the "Browning Lovers" forum, as this is an A-5 copy, but have had no response as yet.
Is the Savage 775 an alloy receiver? (I did not have a magnet with me.)
Saw one of these at a shop today and it looked like it would be a a "real hunter" as it also had a Savage branded Cutts/ Polychoke on the end of the barrel. The gun has honest wear and the screw slots are clean... $200.00 before dealing too hard. The magazine cap looked to be the wrong one as it did not have the forearm snug to the receiver. Can these be found (I'm being lazy here) at Numrich or somewhere like that?

Added info: I looked on Numrich and they have the appropriate magazine end cap. :)

Post subject: re: Savage 775... Alloy receiver?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:46 pm 
Crown Grade

I remember seeing one of the Savage "A5's", half a lifetime ago, it had an aluminum alloy receiver.

Too long ago to remember the model designation :oops:

But..."The American Shotgun" by David F. Butler comes to the rescue, page 139, the Savage 775 Lightweight had an aluminum alloy receiver.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Claydust,

I think I may pass as I have heard of some problems with those receivers. It was on the rack screaming "HUNT ME" and i just wondered.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:09 pm 

I have a 775, and yes it is an alloy receiver.
Very dependable as it uses the Browning pated recoil action.
Barrels interchange with the 720 and the Rem 11.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:07 am 
Diamond Grade

If you can, try to to get a short "test period" when you buy a Savage 775.

One that I owned worked fine, the second one would fail to feed the second shell about 1/3 of the time. No local gunsmith woud even try to fix it, as parts are dificult to obtain.

They usually sell for $100 to $200, depending on condition. The action is similar to the Remington 11-48 and Model 11.

JERRY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:20 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the replies guys. I did a search of the site before posting and saw a few members mention about the alloy receivers cracking. Where are the wear issues... or are they the typical areas of all of the long recoil models? This was either side of 95% with nothing looking abused. I did not mark serial numbers because I wanted to check for the end cap before getting too involved.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:53 am 
Crown Grade

:D Hi, about 30 yrs ago I had a 775AC (Adjustable Choke) and I really liked it, no problems with failure to feed, eject and was very reliable - I sold it. This was one of those guns I regret I did. In some ways it's a moot point as I'm a SxS man all the way. But, for a nice lightweight auto - they are hard to beat IMHO - I'd snap it up.

Good Luck!!

Greg

Post subject: Re: Savage 775... Alloy receiver?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Are the Remington receivers interchangable with the Savage/Stevens models?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've owned an aluminum Savage long recoil gun, but I forget the model number. Mine was in almost pristine shape, and I paid something under $200 for it. It has several faults. First, it's a copy of a Remington Model 11, which was and remains nothing but an Auto Five for poor folks. Second, the ones with aluminum receivers are made from the same wonderful metal that provides us all with cheap beer cans and lightweight travel trailers, and if you shoot any gun enough that has an aluminum receiver you should not bitch, whine, or complain when it cracks,,,,and go out and either get another one or replace it with a genuine Auto Five or Model 11 with a steel receiver that will shoot for hundreds of thousands of shots and last over a century.

But on the good side. They are cheap. Until they crack a receiver they are a nice handling, lightweight shotgun. They may not crack the receiver while you own it, if you don't shoot it very much. But unless your Dad or Grandfather was a tight a$$ and wouldn't pony up for a an Auto Five, so that now you must keep it as an heirloom, the idea is to pay $150 to get in and then get out at $150 the next chance you get.:)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

You're so full of it sx1 you're about to overfill. The auto 5 was made with aluminum receivers too, so you can forget that tired "only steel is good" argument. If you shoot a long recoil gun with the wrong friction settings the will break the steel parts two. Funny how they will do that even with the fiber bushing in model 11s. Funny how so many people manage to shoot al48s without breaking them.
As for the model 11 being "for poor people"...once again clueless.

Those savages are direct copies of model 11s, so if the price is good put a new recoil spring and friction price on and hunt it! Parts are easy to get.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The D grade was for captains of industry. The common ones were for the poor folks, and we might as well face it.

I understand they made an Auto Five with an aluminum receiver. But I've never seen one for sale in a little gun shop.

Aluminum is a wonderful metal for making car wheels. They are attractive, lightweight, and they don't rust. But aluminum is bad for making guns out of. Guns should be made of chrome moly steel and walnut.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:24 am 
Tournament Grade

I've had my 775A with C Lect Choke in 16 gauge for about 10 yrs now and have never once had any problem whatsoever from it. Thats her on the left....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yet Beretta has made more aluminum recieveted auto loaders than anyone also combined, and dominate the clays scene..yet they never wear out and rarely crack. I wonder how that works.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:02 pm 
Crown Grade

I have owned the Savage autos. My 775A had an aluminum receiver, and my 755A had a steel receiver. It really doesn't matter, except for weight and balance differences, because you will not wear them out hunting. Ever. {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:05 am 
Utility Grade

My grandfather, father, and I have all hunted with the same 775A. I have it in the woods almost weekly and have shot many trap with it. It is hands down my favorite shotgun in the cabinet. I haven't found another shotgun that shoots exactly like it. For the money it is the best shotgun to own. It will not disappoint.