CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun for 12 year old son
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've got a little bit of a challenge here. I'm looking for a gun that won't break the bank that he can learn to shoot skeet and sporting clays with. He is athelitic but small for his age. I'm thinking and autoloader with a synthetic stock maybe? The other complicator is that he's a lefty. It's not the end of the world if he has to see the shells eject in front of him. I'm more concerned about weight and recoil. It's hard to have fun when you can barely lift the gun and it slams you each time you fire. I can control some of that on the ammo end with the loads but it's still a concern. Ideas??

Post subject: re: Shotgun for 12 year old son
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:28 pm 
Field Grade

I would look into a remington 1100 in 20 guage. I believe they are about $500. They will last for years and are a good shooting gun.
Enjoy,
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I bought my son a Beretta 303 20 gauge for $375

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:12 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I am going to agree with the Beretta 303 that JLPTH recommended. It is a great shotgun as are the Beretta 3901 youth model 20 gauge and the youth model 20 ga Browning Gold. You should be able to pickup a nice used one.

One reality is that this is going to be a first shotgun and not the last or only shotgun if you do things right.

If you have a good friend or distant relative who can mentor the boy as he starts to shoot it will speed his progress. Our instructor group all learned this with our own kids. The middle and younger kids all learned faster when we traded the responsibility to another knowledgeable parent in the group. If you can get the kid to a 4H shooting sports program, you should consider it.

It is an exciting time, Dad! They grow up fast.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:20 am 
Crown Grade

Is this going to be your son's first gun? If so you might want to stay away from an autoloader and stick with a pump gun. I hear the Remington 870 Youth is a pretty good 20 gauge and won't break the bank either.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:43 am 
Presentation Grade

Very hard to beat a used 1100 lefty... if you can find one! I've been watching locally for well over a year and have not found a nice one yet. Cut the stock if you want, or pick up a youth stock for it until he grows out of it. I'd do my very best to find a left handed gun though. Fit is better, and it's easier to keep both eyes open. That shell shooting across the face may cause an involuntary eye closure, or even a flinch.

My son is 10 (but large for his age) and is comfortably shooting 12 ga now. He's been goose hunting with my guns this season. LOP is a bit much for him, but he's doing alright with it.

I'd definitely go with a gas autoloader if you go 12 ga, in order to minimize recoil. 20 ga gas autoloader has very little recoil at all. My son shoots 5 boxes in a day through his 20 without a flinch.

- PJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:48 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the ideas guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:04 am 
Utility Grade

Another gun to consider: Mossburg 500 youth model, 20 ga pump. weighs about 5.25 lbs- among the lightest I saw in my search. Has a black synthetic stock that has the ability to remove a section of the stock that shortens it by about one inch or so. Just the thing for my 11 year old son who is on the smaller side. In a couple of years will add back the stock piece that is designed for removal (which then makes it a full junior size stock, not adult). Later, you can buy a full size adult stock and longer barrel and use this gun as he grows. I think a $50 coupon towards an adult stock came with it. He should get a few good years out of this before I get his first over under. He loves the black look and the vent rib. Hit some good birds as I just got him out for the first time these past few weeks. A great start. Paid $225 instead of the normal $289 as it was on sale, plus had additional discount coupons for Dick's Sporting in NJ. model 54210 http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... n=products

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Parents looking for shotguns for their children face a number of challenges, especially when the kids are small.

The first is the weight of the gun. Smaller kids need to be able to lift and swing the gun to targets without too much strain. Light weight guns are available but lighter guns kick more.

Then there is the length of the stock. Guns with stocks that are too long make them difficult to swing accurately. Given a field gum with a rising comb, they also make it difficult for the child to place his or her cheek on the comb at a level that allows looking along the rib without the action getting in the way.

The height of the comb relative to the gun's rib is critical. The comb height MUST allow the child to look along the rib (or just slightly down-onto it) with the cheek making firm contact with the comb.

The grip can also be problematic when it it too large as is often the case. If the gun was designed for an adult, a smaller youth shooter will not be able to pull back on the trigger. Rather, they will have to slide their trigger-hand up and forward on the grip and will have to pull up on the trigger. This will make timing shots more difficult because the hand will not always be in the same position from shot to shot.

The final problems with youth shooters involve the gun mount, stance and body posture they use. They are likely to be incorrect. Putting most of the weight on their back foot to compensate for a heavy gun will cause an increase in felt recoil, most likely to the face.

Kids are also likely to mount the gun too low on their shoulders or out on their shoulder joint to compensate for a stock that is too long. That will promote raising their heads during swings and cause shots to go high. It can also lead to what is known as cheek slap when the gun rises during recoil and the comb impacts the cheek when it is slightly above the comb.

A further compensation for stocks that are too long is shooting with the body edge-on to targets - like a rifle shooter. It is a decent compensation but hampers swings in the direction opposite of the side of the gun mount.

I agree with those above who wrote that the right first gun is important. Not only will felt recoil be reduced but when a gun fits the size and shape of the youth, he or she will improve much more quickly and be subjected to considerably less felt recoil, i.e. kick.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:14 pm 
Crown Grade

A 3901 TARGET RL Beretta might also fit your/his needs. Lists around $1000 US. Has some built in flexibility to suit a changing body.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just started my 10 year old daughter shooting with a 1100 sporting 28ga.with5/8 oz loads and she loves it.I just picked up an 1100 LT20 that she doesn't know about for when she gets a little stronger and more comfortable with shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

Have you tested his eye dominance? Just because he is left-handed doesn't mean he will be left eye dominant. I am right-handed, but I am left eye dominant. As a kid I got a BB gun, but couldn't hit a thing. My uncle who shot competitively tested me and determined I was left eye dominant. I switched at age 10 and it made all the difference in the world.
Maybe you will get lucky and he will be right eye dominant and the switch will be easier at his age and not shooting left-handed.

EMaki

http://www.sportvue.com/support/dominance.php
Quote:
Follow the procedure below to determine your dominant eye, then choose the proper Visor Mounting Clip. If you are right eye dominant, choose the Visor Mounting Clip-Right Eye.

First, pick a point 8-12 feet away to look at with both eyes open, using any corrective lenses that you would normally use.

Then hold your thumb at arms length and align your thumb with that point.

Now close your right eye only...If your thumb appears to “move” to the right, then you are right-eye dominant. If your thumb appears to stay put, then you are left eye dominant. To confirm left eye dominance, close your left eye only. Your thumb should appear to “move” to the left.

Approximately 70% of the population is right-eye dominant, however another 15% are equally dominant in both eyes and can use a right-eye display. Eye dominance is not necessarily associated with left or right handedness.

Post subject: Re: re: Shotgun for 12 year old son
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Clay13Buster wrote:
I would look into a remington 1100 in 20 guage. I believe they are about $500. They will last for years and are a good shooting gun.
Enjoy,
Ron

+1

I would definitely get him started with a .20 ga.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:27 am 
Utility Grade

Enjoy,
Ron

Post subject: Re: Shotgun for 12 year old son
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mmapags wrote:
It's hard to have fun when you can barely lift the gun and it slams you each time you fire.

I realize this is an old thread that's been dredged up, but my best suggestion to you would be to wait. Wait until he's big enough to heft the gun properly without strain. Wait until he's heavy enough to absorb some of that recoil without getting his teeth rattled. I know you want to be a proud papa and bring him with you to the range... why not start with a .22?

You won't have to ask these sorts of questions when he's big enough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:55 am 
Field Grade

My son is 11 and left-handed. The BPS Micro is really the only way to go because of the bottom ejection and top tang safety.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:56 pm 
Crown Grade

My pick would be a 28 gauge.Light recoil with a good pattern.A combination thats hard to beat.Also available in the Browning BPS.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Another thing to think about is barrel length. A long barrel will give the impression of too heavy. A friend of mine took his 9 year old to a lot of stores and had him try different youth guns. His son is also a might small and with pumps and autos, his left arm was almost completely extended which will not support the gun well. He ended up getting a Stoeger 20 ga. youth O/U with the 24" barrel and that kid is murder on doves and ducks with it. It's the right size all the way around for a 4' something kid and doesn't beat him because it fits. It's also great because it is only 2 shots and no mechanical stuff for young minds to worry about.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:46 pm 
Utility Grade

[quote="jlptexashunter"]I bought my son a Beretta 303 20 gauge for $375[/quote] haha yup read the signature, I have ran 14000 shells through it and no problems except the pins spring broke. I believe it's the best semi auto ever made =)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

leroyha wrote:
....He ended up getting a Stoeger 20 ga. youth O/U with the 24" barrel and that kid is murder on doves and ducks with it. It's the right size all the way around for a 4' something kid and doesn't beat him because it fits. It's also great because it is only 2 shots and no mechanical stuff for young minds to worry about.

Thanks...I never looked at Stoeger before. Thy have some nice guns, good variety and great prices. I may get that O/U for the wife or the side by side, in the 12/20 combo....great deal.