CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charles Daly Youth 20ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Owners report -

Although I recommended against this gun for a freind, I was intrigued by the price - $325 for an auto in a youth model was too good to pass up. So I bought one.

It came in a plain box with 3 chokes - IC/Mod/Full and a choke wrench. The magazine limit bar was installed already. The instruction manual was pretty good, and covered the essentials. It was a little vague on maintenance, but hte dissassembly instructions were sufficient to dismantel and clean the gun.

On receipt, I completely dismanteled the gun, cleaning it completely. I was impressed by the design - nothing was complex, and in fact it was elegant in its' simplicity. Dissassembly was easy - pull the barrel, remove the cocking lever, and push out a pin to drop the trigger group. The action (trigger) was simple and it was easy to see why it was inexpensive - there weren't many parts, and the complexity was low. Barel was a nice fit, and the piston uses a steel ring, eliminating the 1100 type action issue with O-rings. Nice touch.

Workmanship was better than I expected - partly because so many parts were casting - hard to screw them up. Whole trigger group was in fact one casting with holes for various pins. Quite simple. Finishing was lacking in unseen areas - there were still boring marks in the piston sleeve, althought he honing was evident. Ditto for the receiver. Stampingds were nicely deburred, and they seemed hardy enough for the work at hand.

After cleaning, the action was smooth and confident. I oiled it with Remoil, and greased the two contacts points in the trigger group that would experience high loading and wear.

Shooting:
Temp was 2°, and the gun allowed to soak at that temperature.
Sheels were Diana 20 skeet loads.
One round of skeet was shot (for the above reason), and the gun cycled perfectly eveyr time. Loading was easy, but the sheel guide tened to hang my gloved finger at the end of insertion into the magazine. Small issue.

Conclusion:
Heck of a deal. Only time will tell of the reliability after repeated use. However, the club I have loaned it to will not clean it properly, so I expect an excellent test of performance under 'normal' use. The gun is light, so recoil is evident - however, it is a small price to pay for a youth gun. I was surprised at how much recoil I felt, although that could be attributable to the short stock not fitting me at all.

I would have no problem buying another.

I will also post an update in March after the gun has seen sufficient use to determine performance in the field.

Post subject: re: Charles Daly Youth 20ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have read better reviews of the 20 gauge than the 12. Some of the guys in the hunting club use CDs and their experience with 20s is that they are more reliable.

Keep us posted!

Social security and Medicare are running out of money, I am told. The welfare programs are not. I wonder why?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:21 am 
Presentation Grade

Over 5,000 rounds through my son's CD, it's working great! Only problem has been with some shells that are bulged at the crimp. Shell problem - not a gun problem.

- PJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Follow up from earlier post.

IC Choke measured more like Cyl when I checked it at the club - actually that was what I wanted, so I was happy. However, since it was maked IC it should have been IC. I have not checke dthe others, but I will formally mic them in a week or two.

We have now shot about 500 rounds through it, and it has been pretty flawless. One failure to eject on my reloads, but they are so light i was impressed, becuase they don't cycle anything else. Kick is more than you think - the gun is really light, but none of the kids objected. In fact, they all liked its' size, weight, and fit.

At this point in evaluation, I'd have to say pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:55 pm 
Utility Grade

theyre nice guns...i gave a report on it in a seperate post

Last edited by lil_freak_66 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:56 pm 
Utility Grade

i own a charles daly youth 20,only its a pump.

i had 3 shell ejection problems....all from the same shell on 3 seperate hunting days.

so that was a shell problem also...one time that same shell didnt want to exit the magazine....but again shell problem.

ive put 1000 rounds of different bullets through it,

as for recoil....it has alot of recoil for a 20 ga.

literally i did a comparison.

the charles daly field hunter youth pump 20

had more recoil than

my remington 870 wingmaster pump 16

which suprised me.

but thats it,it doenst handle super fast ejecting....course as fast as i am not many guns can eject more than a shell or 2 before i close it back in there....so thats human and/or bullet error.

oh umm federal premium slugs dont always chamber quite right...local gunshop said its sutm to do with the ribbing on the plastic part of the round being too sufficient

but yes,very easy to assemble and dis assemble....take off the mag cap remove the barrel and pull off the pump and firing mechanism....trigger assembly falls out after knocking out 2 pins....with proper tools (which are only needed for the trigger assembly ) it can be taken apart to what i mentioned above in under a minute...w/o going overly fast.

oh umm its a rather common problem with cd 20 ga. youths...especially pumps....

but when working on the gun...if the trigger is pulled when the firing mechanism isnt attached,the cocking hammer goes and comes out of place,if you have strong flexible fingers and a moderate tolerance of pain just push it toward the buttstock of the gun,or take out the trigger assembly and push it back.
takes all of 30 seconds either way.

and the pumps are 220.00 new gun only

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Follow up report on the Daly Youth Auto I started this with - sort of a progress report.

Probably 1,000 rounds through it with no cleaning, and ...... Surprise - it started failing to cycle. 1 minutes with a spray can of gun scrub followed by a shot of Remoil and - cycled perfectly! Easy take down and very simple spray/ wipe/ spray. (this was intentionally a quick and dirty cleaning - again an attempt to determine the robustness of the design).

All reports from the 6-7 kids who have shot it are positive. While I can say the kick is significant, it MUST be born in mind that the synthetic stock and light construction assure there is minimal shelter from recoil in the weight of the shotgun. Kind of like the Win 101. However - the kids couldn't care less. I was the one whining!

Fit
It seemed to fit the average kid ranging in age from 10 to 15, allowing for the difference in body sizes, it was pretty good.

Ease of use
Everyone who received a 5 minute how-to operated the gun easily. Loading shells was a snap, and loading 2 shells was easier than the 1100. Seemed the hardest thing top remeber was how to hold the bolt open using the little thing on the left side. We changed to indicate the pointing the barrel down range and pulling the trigger will also work and everyone seemed to pickup on that.

Loading the second shell for more experienced shooters proved easy, and I did not notice the tendency to grab the inserting finger I've had on Benneli's.

Ammo
It ate every commercially available shell we fed it. Properly loaded reloads also worked just dandy. Unfortunately, we only had one really cold day, and no kids showed up (surprise) so cold weather shooting remains untested.

Shootability
Several of our younger shooters are pretty good, and I turned them loose to see how they scored. They felt the gun point pretty good (comments like yeah cool - it broke are the basis of the observation). New shooters were started out at low-7, and moved as they got comfortable. In no case was the gun a problem. The smaller stock helped.

Most kids seemed to pick up a little faster because of the fit. However, one small girl had a recoil issue and flinched badly.

Conclusion thus far
Yeah - this is a decent deal, and I'd do it in a flash for my kid.

One another note, a pump is a bit nicer, and less sensitive to ammo. I personally load light 20 ga, which did not cycle the auto consistently (but they did have less recoil).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:12 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm glad the Daly is working out for you.

They are not the best guns ever made, however, they aren't the price of a decent used car either :D

I have 12ga Field Hunter in LH. I think it's a great gun 8)

It has cycled everything from light target shells, to 'rabbit/squirrel, and dove hunting loads, to 3" slugs....and has never had a problem with cold weather shooting.

BTW, don't tell the Charles Daly bashers on here that the gun fits, fires, and works OK....it goes against everything they believe :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You know, we have to be rational and respect new data points. As a group we are pretty darn conservative (me too - I only shoot SxS hunting for example, wear Filson exclusinvely, etc.), and we should always evaluate and be prepared to change our positions in light of new information. My reason for writing this was there mixed feedback on the CD guns - I felt they needed a chance.

Don't get me wrong - an 1100 or 11-87 is still a better gun - quality, fit, finish, etc are superior. But let's face it - some people simple can't afford a new 11-87, and the CD offers what I believe after this evaluation is a reasonable alternative.

Sure - for the price it is almost disposable, but so are razors and I remeber when they cost a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My friend purchased a Charles Daly 20ga youth semi-auto last year for his son. The shotgun handles incredibly well and has been a solid shooter so far for the money. KBI/Charles Daly stands behind the lifetime warranty from what some friends at a local gun shop have experienced.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:18 pm 
Field Grade

It is a great gun for the dollars. The only thing they need to do to it is remove that damn white Charles Daly name on the frame. He existed during the Civil War. No one today knows who he is nor cares. The nice thing about KBI is that you can buy spare barrels right over the internet from them. Also, the gun uses Remchokes! I was wondering though if the bore is chromed lined?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:41 pm 
Limited Edition

5 yr. old CD 20ga plastic semi. Thousands of rounds, no issues,
Bought on sale at walmart for 275.00>
It has been in snow, saltwater blinds, sporting events, annd works> Best part, uses inexpensive remington chokes, service is unelievable. do not tell the snobs, the price will go up>
Just ordered same gun in 28ga.
art

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

My oldest son (16) has the Maxi-pump 12 ga. it handles everything from 2 3/4-3 1/2in. mag. he loves it! I had to send it back and it was repaired totally free. free shipping from Fedex! and they had to replace a few prings so that it would shot all shells. Customer service calls were answered and took care of fast and right! and I am going to get my 2 younger sons a CD 20 ga. auto this year if I can pull it off! lol and I would love to get one in 12 ga. for myself someday. the combo! with a rifled slug barrel with rifle sights. I think it is a good gun and also a Lifetime repair warrenty!!!!!! and great customer service as well!!!

Post subject: Re: re: Charles Daly Youth 20ga
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:54 pm 
Limited Edition

slrassoc wrote:
It is a great gun for the dollars. The only thing they need to do to it is remove that damn white Charles Daly name on the frame. He existed during the Civil War. No one today knows who he is nor cares.

Yes, for the money spent, it is a good gun. I really like my 12ga. LH Field Hunter semi-auto!!

However, Eliphalet Remington died more than a few years ago, as did Jon Browning. Should Remington and Browning be removed from the receivers of those guns too?

Good or bad, people know when you say 'it's a Charles Daly' that you are talking about a gun, the same with 'it's a Remington', or 'it's a Browning' etc,.........do you think the same would hold true if you said 'it's a KBI'?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

At one time, Charles Daly stood for real quality and mid-range priced guns. I hope this continues to be the case with the Turkish and other guns currently made under the CD name.

I tried to buy a CD this morning from my local dealer. He didn't have one and was reluctant to get involved. I inquired about the Mossberg AS-20. Again, he was reluctant to do the order. So when I get a chance to do so, I am going to GM or Dick's and see if they have them.

I have heard good things about the 20 gauge CD semi from the guys in my club. They swear by them. The 12 gauge wore it's welcome out and it seems the 20 gauge is their choice.

We don't need more laws; we need more common sense!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:32 am 
Limited Edition

We've been really pleased with the CD's youth auto loader. I found it to be a little stiff, not cycling about 1 in 10 of the light loads we were feeding it. After about 5 good cleanings and 1,000 or so rounds it has loosened up considerably and will cycle anything. This is normal with auto loaders no matter what the cost.

I have heard from friends (2) that their choke tube broke off in the barrel of the 12 gauge. I went ahead and replaced the chokes with something a little more reliable just in case. I don't want to have to buy a whole new barrel.

If you're looking at buying one, check out the prices at Wal-Mart. Most don't have them in stock, but will order it for around 350$. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2685481