CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedersen 1500 parts?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

whats still floating around out there? I am considering purchasing a pedersen 1500 trap gun (have one I'm waiting for pictures of), and would like to lay in a supply of parts if there are any out there to be had (or a list of parts that'll interchange with current mfg parts).

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

Post subject: re: Pedersen 1500 parts?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

um well, maybe firing pins might cross over to something but since aramberri is out of bizz for a long while like mid 80's, the pickens are real slim. i know of 1 extra 1500 that is in so/so shape, i would suggest if you find one in your area to buy for parts if your interested in peds. i havent had anything fail in my 1500 yet. my 2500 for arm lug solder joint broke off, but action wise she has been perfect.

thank you soldiers for freedom, thank you god for everything else. nmca#2071, batf ccr, nra member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do you have any contact info on the so-so 1500?

Do you think theres enough 1500s out there that if I had some parts run (coil springs, firing pins) i'd be able to sell enough to make it worthwhile (not looking to make a profit, just enough to cover the setup cost, ect). Brownells has a kit of 8 generic flat springs, maybe something they have will work or could be fit as a mainspring.

I've read elsewhere that some perazzi parts may interchange, which it looks like the mainsprings could, but i'm being told now it can't be done. Guess i'll have to have the gun in hand before i can compare parts to anything that might be a close interchange.

I've also emailed AyA. From what i've read, they bought out Aramberri. The AyA MD-2 is a dead ringer for the 1500, so if parts are out there for the md-2, maybe they'll work on the 1500.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

the perrazi might work out, havent tried to match...havent needed to. the so/so gun no offence im holding on to for me. the guy just doesnt want to work with the price. yet. pedersens are if you havent found out yet, a labor of love. most look down on them or... never heard of them. i would buy spare parts. maybe some others. i think you are looking at a very niche market though.

thank you soldiers for freedom, thank you god for everything else. nmca#2071, batf ccr, nra member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Looks like my deal is going to go through.

Pedersen 1500 w/ 32" barrels. Original configuration, proported barrels. Deal also includes a 2nd pedersen gun (same gun as the 1st) with damaged barrels (lower barrel was damaged @ some point, then cut back @ the forend to create an over-single barrel, then the owner removed the rib to play with point of impact so that barrel is probably a lost cause, maybe I can sell it to someone who wants a project barrel, would probably still be workable as a top single if a rib was installed, or i might try making something of it), other than that it should be in the same condition as the 1st gun. Spare parts include @ least 2 spare firing pins, 3 spare mainsprings, a spare hammer, a spare L & R ejector, and some other misc springs which may or may not belong to the pedersen (i'm guessing the other hammer and mainspring is still in the damaged guns action and that the bottom barrel firing assembly (hammer, spring, and ejector trip rod) were all removed to make the gun default to top barrel 1st firing, i hope they are as more spare parts would be even better, but its not a dealbreaker if they aren't). Neither gun has a recoil pad on the stock, not a huge issue as the factory one would probably be petrified by now anyways. I'll protect the price for now incase I want to do any wheeling and dealing on either gun or parts at a later date, but suffice it to say it is a good deal.

Now for the parts search. I emailed AyA, and was put in contact with their repair man here in the US. I read somewhere that AyA bought out Aramberri @ some point, and the MD-2 that AyA currently produces is, cosmetically @ least, a dead ringer copy of the 1500. I'm hoping it is similar internally as well. I emailed the gentleman one of the action pictures that was posted on here, hopefully he can tell me if the similarity goes any further than cosmetic. I just saw pics of firing pins from an early perazzi, and they match some spares that come with this gun, so either i'm getting a free set of perazzi pins that I can sell seperately, or perazzi pins and pedersen pins will interchange.

Does anyone out there have a parts breakdown, or any literature for the 1500 available? i've just about exhausted all the information I can find on the internet, just wondering if there is anything else out there to be found.

I asked if I would be allowed a 3 day inspection of the guns when I receive them (I think this is pretty much standard, its what I offer when I sell a used gun), is there anything I should look for or closely inspect?

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

well would like to know how much you got her for... i understand your protection though. to answer your q's the usual areas, wood metal stock joint, for-arm lug especially. everything ive been able to uncover is on the board here more or less. never ran into any old breakdowns or paperwork. pls let us know about the aya rep and what he says. glad you made the purchase into the pedersen brotherhood. hope its a great gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm looking forward to closing the deal on the gun, and getting it in to play with (the time b/w when you close the deal on a gun, and when it arrives is the SLOWEST you could ever imagine LOL). Fingers crossed, I hope it lives up to its reputation as the Poor Mans Perazzi. I figure worst case scenario, its probably alot better quality than any other over/under that you could buy now-adays for what the pedersen's sell for, and judging by the customer service some of the import gun mfgs provide, repairs would probably exhibit the same degree of difficulty LOL

Maybe we should start a Pedersen Collectors Club, i think we'd have a membership of about 6 LOL.

As soon as the gun arrives, and time allows, i'll begin to attempt to source parts as best as I can (assuming there isn't a miracle and the AyA is a perfect match for the 1500) so I can help out all the Pedersenites out there (coil springs shouldn't be too hard to find or have made if need be, and a good friend of mine has a couple perazzis so I could be able to get my hands on some perazzi mainsprings to play with so I don't have to buy some and eat the cost if they don't work).

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

nice, i hope you like it. its kinda funny though. ive searched for ped's for a long time and up too about a month ago i could tell you where most of them were for sale if they were on the internet or not but they seem to be poping up everywhere, well everywhere meaning the 6 guns that have changed hands that i know of in the last month. the natnl mossberg collectors association is a pedersen sorta group but not specific exclusivly to the brand. yes i think the 6 or maybe 7 members we would have would be the perfect number for a skeet shoot!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

AyA faxed me a breakdown for the MD-2 and it uses coil mainsprings. If anyone wants copies pm a mailing address and I can send them. AyA may still be able to help us, even if I had to ship my gun to Spain from time to time. Whoever is in contact with the US rep please keep us updated. I've had my 1500 for 4-5 years and put well over 10,000 rounds through it. I had Wrights in Pinckeyville, IL put in choke tubes, extended chokes really highlight the lines of these guns. If I were doing it again I'd get the dark finish instead of stainless. I used a belt sander to take the comb of the stock down about 3/16" which really helped POI. I read somewhere that Pedersen's had "European stocks" which were in vogue in the 70's for shooting rising targets and are designed to shoot high.

Wrights replaced a firing pin, ejector and mainspring, I believe using Perazzi parts for the first two and a custom made mainspring. Wrights also welded the lugs and tightened up the action. When I broke the stirrup on the hammer this fall Wrights didn't return my phone calls. I sent the gun to Coles over a month ago thinking the action was manuf. by Beretta. Coles fixed it anyway, I assume with a hand made stirrup and replaced the other mainspring.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Oh, the trap models shoot high alright. On my 1500, at 13 yds the POI is about 10" above POA. At 34 yds, the center of the pattern is about 24" high! I did see the lower half of the pattern on the pattern board though ... :shock:

"I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog"-Bob Lee Swagger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

wouldnt that be about right for trap though?? im not a trap guy so i need an education in this mark.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Way too high! A pattern is typically defined by the percentage of shots in a 30" circle, right? So, if the center of your pattern is 15" high then the bottom of that circle would just touch your point of aim. We'd call that a 100/0 gun, since 100% of the pattern is above the POA.

Now think about a gun with the center of the pattern 9" above the POA. That would be a 80/20 gun since 80% of the pattern ( 24/30=0.8 ) is above the POA. If the center of the pattern was 6" above the POA, that would be a 70/30 gun ( 21/30=0.7 ) since 70% of the pattern is above the POA.

Most field guns are 50/50, in other words flat shooting. Trap guns vary, but it seems most people like something between 60/40 and 80/20 to allow for the rising targets.

Now remember that a pattern centered 15" above POA was 100%? Well a gun with a pattern centered 20" or so above the POA leave precious few pellets down around the target, especially if it's a full choke pattern.

Now a gun like that might be great if you're quick on the bird out of the house, when it's rising quick and the difference between POA and the pattern center is closer. But the average trap bird is hit at 34 yards, or so they say. And my numbers above refer to the pattern at 34 yards.

Hope this doesn't further muddy the waters Jake. :D

Oh, and remember when I say it's an XX/XX gun I mean its an XX/XX gun FOR ME. Give it to another shooter, whose needs may be different when it comes to gun fit, and the numbers may change drastically!

I just ran the number based on the 3/16" jeffrenk said he had taken off his comb. If I did the same to mine it would be a 90/10 gun for me.

"I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog"-Bob Lee Swagger

Last edited by Black Rifle on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

wow you would have to butcher the stock to get her down. wonder why its so high. have you had any offers yet?? you had to go and sell it right when i need to buy tires and a water pump timing belt. just put tires on the wifes car too. ahh wonder if she would fit me.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jeff- Thanks for the info. Glad to see there are smiths out there that can/will work on the pedersen guns. If you don't mind me asking, what did wrights charge you for the spring pin and ejector, and cole the hammer stirrup and other spring?

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

The mainspring from Wrights, with some tinkering on the ejector trip rods and return shipping was right around $150-. The ejector was buried in the bill with tightening the action, my memory says around $75-.

The gun is on its way back from Coles at this moment. A little over $300- for the mainspring, stirrup and return shipping.

I had sent the gun to Giacomo in NY last fall, hoping for Perazzi compatibility. They looked at it and said no go, but gave me the names of two gunsmiths that they thought would help. Naturally I can't find the piece of paper I scribbled this information on, but I would think a call to Giacomo would get it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I emailed wrights, and they don't want to work on the pedersens anymore. Reply from Wrights, "No I'm sorry but we do not work on them, parts are impossable to get. "

Luckily, the deal I found comes with a parts gun and some extra key parts, so i'll end up with 4 spare mainsprings, 2 spare ejectors, 2 spare hammers, 2 spare firing pins, spare wood set, and other misc parts and springs, so that should be enough to keep me going for awhile. If I like the gun, i'd like to get some other barrels for it anyways for field use (maybe a set of 26" or 28" barrels), so i'd probably just watch out for guns I could tear down to parts and sell what I didn't need.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bill from Coles in Maine was $50- for the mainspring, they must have found a matching part, and $260- to hand fabricate the stirrup for the hammer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

skeet man i hope you use your judgement on breaking down older pedersens... there getting harder to find and if they can be restored well only you can judge if its worth it. like an old 55 chevy broken down for parts instead of restored brings tears to my eyes. unless the gun it self is utterly useless i wont be breaking them down, not if their is a cross for most parts.

guys if you do have a cross for some of this stuff could you combine it in a new post, springs pins ect. makes for easier searching.

if an audio lover is an audiophile, does that mean pedersen lovers are ped-o-phile's :shock: sorry corny , couldnt help.

Post subject: Re: re: Pedersen 1500 parts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jca6 wrote:
...if an audio lover is an audiophile, does that mean pedersen lovers are ped-o-phile's :shock: sorry corny , couldnt help.

Thanks Jake, you made my day!!!!

Smitty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jake-don't worry, i'm not breaking down a usable gun. The barrel on the parts gun is ruined. The previous owner damaged the bottom bbl, so it was cut off at the forend to turn it over/single trap barrel. Then he removed the rib to try and adjust the poi, so as far as i'm concerned, the bbl on the parts gun is a lost cause (unless i can find someone who wants to re-rib it or us the monoblock as a foundation for another barrel set (the monoblock may be an interchange w/ perazzi, it looks awful dang close, if so i shouldn't have any trouble selling it). Seeing as no replacement pedersen 1500 bbls are out there, no reason not to break the gun down for parts as far as I can see, keep what I can use and sell the rest (the damaged bbl will be available (sans ejectors, so I can have a spare set), as will probably a set of trap wood, i'll probably end up keeping most everything else)

kolarskeet@gmail.com