CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 935 owners weigh in!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:52 am 
Tournament Grade

What are your likes/dislikes about the 935? How reliable are they? Are they finicky with ammo? How do they hold up in foul weather, mud, being dropped in water? How durable are the camo finishes? Hows the weight/balance?Thanks in advance.

Post subject: re: Mossberg 935 owners weigh in!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

B5,

Do you really need the 3-1/2" shell?? If not, then I recommend the Mossberg 930. A much better gun in my opinion...

The 935 was "designed for 3 & 3-1/2" loads", so, that means it will shoot the 2-3/4" but not reliably. Folks here, over at the Mossberg pages, say that anything over 1-1/8 oz and more than 1200fps seem to work OK, but 1 oz loads wil give them fits...

The 930, on the other hand, will cycle any load (3" or smaller) you can feed it, balances great, and is proving to be extremely reliable.

Smitty

Last edited by Smitty in CT on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:19 am 
Crown Grade

Reliable... not with light loads, so a little pre-season practice on clays might be iffy

Foul weather... probably OK if the cold is not extreme, then you had better not have the gun over lubed... extreme cold and/or freezing rain can effect any repeater

Mud and dropping in water... don't know - never did that in 50 years

Camo finishes... pretty durable, but they do fade, chip and peel in time to some degree... don't know about the finish on that gun (many different processes)

Balance... not very good, but that's an easy fix... simple to add weight front or rear

If you've read other posts I've made, you'll see that I have no use for 3.5". Not everyone agrees. I don't see any need whatsoever for roman candles under hunting conditions. They do not make up for poor shooting or the inability to hunt over dekes and suck the birds in close. The biggest advance in shotgun shooting in the recent years is not chamber length, cammo finishes, spacy looks or catchy names. The biggest advance is in other than steel non toxic shells like HeviShot, Wingmaster and others. Even 3" in these shells are not needed. I killed 76 geese this season with 2 3/4" HS #2. Crushed, dead in the air, over dekes. In contrast, my regular blind partners (no pun intended) killed half as many using 3" and 3.5" steel. Some of that difference is due to shooting ability and some was due to the steel. Few birds they killed were dead in the air.

Go for a 3" auto.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have both the 935/930. . .love them both. The 935 I have only had since last March, but it has been extremely reliable. I like the weight on it (28" Flyway). . it is a little front heavy for some, but for my purposes that is what I wanted and it fit me well. I like the shim kit and even did a little work with the Dremel tool to make it cast on for lefties. It definitely improved my bird kill ratio. If you want to shoot some skeet with it, mine loves Fiocchi Crushers 1 oz. at 1300 fps. . .I've had three different cheap promo loads occasionally fail to cycle, so spend an extra $1 per box and get something that will cycle every time.

I don't shoot too many 3 1/2" shells, but do shoot some and with the Limbsaver I put on the gun they don't bother me one bit. I loaded up on a bunch of 3" HD this year with the rebate (so did grandma :lol: ).

SS is right. . do not overlube a repeater in cold weather. . .the Mossberg manual even states lightly lubed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

From what I've seen the 3 1/2 shell debate gets pretty heated, so all I'll say is that I've shot them and really like them. Not being able to shoot the 2 3/4 is not as much a concern as I have an O/U for that. What i want is a foul weather (spring turkey, ducks/geese) auto that just plain works and isn't over a grand. What other choices are there? I haven't heard to many good things about the 11-87 super mags.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:47 pm 
Utility Grade

thats the reason i ordered the 935, price, the option of having 3 1/2 inch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:51 am 
Tournament Grade

Don't overlook the Remington SPR 453/ Baikal MP153. It's a very good 3 1/2 inch autoloader with a tuneable gas system that eats everything from light trap loads to the heaviest magnums. I love mine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:39 am 
Presentation Grade

I used my friends a few years back and i loved it with 3 1/2 inch. It helped me make my decision on the mossberg 835 that i shoot now. I like the 935 a lot but i am just a pump kind of guy. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, everybody has me thinking the 930 is the way to go...but I can't find one anywhere locally to shoulder. Looking online, I can't even find someone who carrys the 930, at least not with a 26in barrel (which only come in MO duck blind...weird, but find with me). I guess I could orde directly from Mossberg but at $611 I could get a used Benelli M1.

Post subject: Re: re: Mossberg 935 owners weigh in!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

b5davis wrote:
Well, everybody has me thinking the 930 is the way to go...but I can't find one anywhere locally to shoulder. Looking online, I can't even find someone who carrys the 930, at least not with a 26in barrel (which only come in MO duck blind...weird, but find with me). I guess I could orde directly from Mossberg but at $611 I could get a used Benelli M1.

Where are you?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Boise, ID...we have numerous gun shops, Cabelas, and Sportman's Warehouse. A couple of shop's are listed on Mossberg's website, I'll try calling Monday. I'm also looking at other guns, just depends on what kind of deal I can get.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

unless you have a ffl and an account you aint ordering direct im afraid...

thank you soldiers for freedom, thank you god for everything else. nmca#2071, batf ccr, nra member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Why not? I can have it shipped to a local FFL. If not, what does Mossberg allow you to order off their website?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

if you order thru your ffl, or use the mossy ffl(gun finder or whatever its called) and transfer to your shop its bascily the same. unless your a distributor level ffl, if im not mistaken there is no ordering direct. you can order parts direct though.

thank you soldiers for freedom, thank you god for everything else. nmca#2071, batf ccr, nra member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently purchased a 930 in duckblind camo from my local gun shop for $525. Most gun dealers can get anything you want. My 930 is a 28" gun. I don't see any need in shooting 3 1/2" shells, and I will be using it for skeet, so I bought the 930 instead of the 935. Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

still looking for the elusive 930 as its been sold out for 2 months here.