CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Remington 1100 sporting guns/opinion
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Just saw one of the new Remington 1100 Premier sporting guns in the local gunshop. Selling for $1k. Has silver receiver, engraved w/gold inlay only on the left side. Comes in a fancy leather or leatherlike hard case. Pretty gun for sure. Any opinions?

Post subject: re: New Remington 1100 sporting guns/opinion
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:29 am 
Field Grade

I think it's just a dressed up sporting 12 with a case. Looks good though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

A fancier sporting new for "08. 1100 Remington has a great reputation and a long proud history. I wouldn't mind a Premier Sporting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A great looking new gun based on a proven and reliable 40+ year 1100 design, how could you go wrong? I will probably have one sooner or later. Also, the case it comes in is awesome. I bought the same case direct from Remington for my 1100 Competition model and it is the perfect target case. The case looks great and is very functional. It is so nice, I bought another case just like it for another one of my 1100's, so now I have two of them.

Very Funny Scotty, now beam up my clothes!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:49 pm 
Crown Grade

They look nice, those I have examined are nicely fit and finished.

I would like one, myself; but I also like the look of the 1100 Sporting 12, being a bit conservative in these things :oops:

If they work and shoot anything like the 1100 Classic Trap I bought new in Dec. 2005, they should be excellent.

Post subject: Re: New Remington 1100 sporting guns/opinion
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:55 pm 
Crown Grade

duckmanIII wrote:
Just saw one of the new Remington 1100 Premier sporting guns in the local gunshop. Selling for $1k. Has silver receiver, engraved w/gold inlay only on the left side. Comes in a fancy leather or leatherlike hard case. Pretty gun for sure. Any opinions?

This is the same basic gun as the 1100 Sporting 12, but with a different finish. Although I prefer blued receivers on my pumps and autoloaders, the 1100 Premier Sporting would make a good choice if you like the looks and can afford the price.

I've bought two new 1100s within the past 4 years: a 2003 Sporting 12 and a 2005 Classic Trap. Both guns have been very reliable and I enjoy shooting them. They're very soft shooting. Despite owning a variety of other target grade shotguns, I've used my Sporting 12 more than any other gun - a conservative estimate would be 15,000 rounds+ to date.

However, it's a good thing I do own other guns, since my girlfriend has recently taken a real liking to the Sporting 12! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:07 pm 
Field Grade

Got a 35+ yr old 1100 with skeet and modified barrells.

Great gun, very reliable-still have the original o-ring.

Keep'em clean, use low temp lube, and the 1100 will be a great friend.

Thanks

brande

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

I have a 28 gauge Remington 1100.No trouble with it.A very nice feeling shotgun.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:34 am 
Diamond Grade

I looked at these myself and yes they are very nice.Wouldn't mind having one also, but have a 1100-G3 and they are basically the same gun with just a little extra gingerbread on them.Yes, the cases are nice.It's the same case that comes with the 1100-G3.If I were you, I'd buy one, after all the case comes free with the gun...hahaha

Post subject: Re: re: New Remington 1100 sporting guns/opinion
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:57 pm 
Crown Grade

28 gauge wrote:
I have a 28 gauge Remington 1100.No trouble with it.A very nice feeling shotgun.

only downside I can find with my 28 is chasing down those expensive empties......

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not too many years from now, the latest model Remington 1100's will find their way to the pawn shops, and I'll own some. They take the top honors for the best quality wood put on a production shotgun today, or for that matter, probably ever put on production shotguns. Some of them, like the G3, are veenered, but no matter. However they get it done, they get it done, and they are just gorgeous. :wink:

A well cleaned Model 1100 has always been, and I assume remains, a reliable gun. It's not going to last like a Super X Model One, but it takes a car load of shells to wear one out. It's the closest thing, brand new, you can buy today that compares to a genuine Super X, and they point and handle about the same, with choke tubes to boot. And, I'll be the first to admit, they have prettier wood. :lol:

Post subject: Re: re: New Remington 1100 sporting guns/opinion
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:13 pm 
Crown Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
Some of them, like the G3, are veenered, but no matter. However they get it done, they get it done, and they are just gorgeous. :wink:

Here we go again :roll: A veneer is a thin layer of crap over more crap. I think in the future Remington should give more thought in what they name something. "Real wood" seems to for most imply it might be fake. Anyway Remington's "real wood" as they call it. Is simply a stock cut in two with a thin carbon cloth sandwiched between the two walnut halves. Now the claim it is for strength. I view it as a cost effective process. Take a stock prior to real wood if one side was flawed I imagine it was discarded. Wood isn't cheap. Now with what Remington has done is saved money by utilizing more of it's wood stocks and added more strength that we probably didn't need, but now have. As far as looks they are gorgeous, but just from the sides. I really can't get past that carbon fiber strip. No I'll take the solid wood stock any day. Glad they have limited the use of this process. The last production 11-87 premiers and the G3 may never be on my list to buy simply due to the stock.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well I'll be,,,,,,,they saw the thing in half so they can make more "pretty both sides" stocks. Not veenered.

I learn sumpthin' every day on here! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Like most of you, I prefer a solid piece of nice wood rather than veneers of any sort.

At least Remington's "REALWOOD" uses actual thin slices of fancy grade wood bonded to a carbon fiber support. Other manufacturers (Beretta, cough, cough) have resorted to faux appliques that more closely resemble the cladding on a 1970s-vintage station wagon than actual high grade wood.

By the way, if I ever learn how to post photos here, I'll have to submit pics of the factory wood on my 1100 Sporting 12, and one of my Super X1s that has a gorgeous hunk of freshly refinished factory walnut. :wink: