CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double Barrel Shotgun Swivels
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I've seen double rifles with double bands for a sling swivel and am looking for a similar arrangement for a friend's shotgun.
My friend desires not to do any drilling and doesn't want just a sling that obscures his sights.
Any ideas?
I checked the guru at Brownells and they don't have them.

Post subject: Re: Double Barrel Shotgun Swivels
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

crazy charlie wrote:
I've seen double rifles with double bands for a sling swivel and am looking for a similar arrangement for a friend's shotgun.
My friend desires not to do any drilling and doesn't want just a sling that obscures his sights.
Any ideas?
I checked the guru at Brownells and they don't have them.

I went through the same ordeal. Issue with barrel bands is they are barrel specific... when you pay a starting price of $15K to have a double rifle built for you.... this is typically one of the options available. On Dakotas, two years ago they were a $300 option.

I searched in vain (and this is while I was working at a high end gun shop too) with all our retailers, advertisers and heck anyone I could try and track down... and came up empty. I wasn't about to spend $300 on one... though Dakota would have done it for me.

I ended up having our in house gunsmith drill a hole in the rib forward of the forend. Looks nice, works great.. cost me like $44 for the part. Labor was free, which was nice of him. Definately a job for a competent insured gunsmith. If its a super nice gun... just carry it. This went on my Ithaca.. which is a nice gun and has a lot of sentimental value... but its still a hunting gun.

Post subject: re: Double Barrel Shotgun Swivels
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:15 am 
Utility Grade

I vaguely remember a universal slip on that was rubberized and slid down over the barrels, but I guess they are a thing of the past.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Some one HAS to still produce these things. I've tried Uncle Mike's and Williams to no avail. My 10 ga. came with fixed (non detatchable) swivels and I can't find detatchable replacements. In the '80's and '90's they were everywhere. If any one knows where to get them, please post.

'Lonzo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:03 am 
Utility Grade

Amen, Alonzo.
I'd like that info too.
I remember years ago that anything smithwise could be found at Brownell's, but they don't have them either.
I'll keep looking and if other members are looking we might find them.
If I see 'em I'll post it here.

Post subject: Re: re: Double Barrel Shotgun Swivels
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Alonzo Tubbs wrote:
Some one HAS to still produce these things. I've tried Uncle Mike's and Williams to no avail. My 10 ga. came with fixed (non detatchable) swivels and I can't find detatchable replacements. In the '80's and '90's they were everywhere. If any one knows where to get them, please post.

'Lonzo

Even though my search was in vain... I'm still of the same opinion Alonzo. They have to be out there somewhere for a decent price.

Most of the slip over the barrel apparatus I have seen have been leather guards for splintered forends... and I would suspect that it would be fairly simple to include a swivel stud... only problem is keeping it from sliding up the barrel.

I have seen the over the barrel type slings, which are very prevalent on shotguns, but as your friend indicated, they do tend to block your vision, and that is a much bigger issue than just toting the gun to begin with.

Best of luck in the search! If you find some anywhere... let us know!