CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daly vs Lanber O/U
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey all - I have always found great info on this site - it's great that one post can shower a shotgun with praise while the next guy hates it. Which brings me to my post.... I'm looking for a fairly affordable O/U that I will use for primarily quail/pheasant hunting with the occasional trip to the range to shoot a few rounds. I really can't go any higher than $650 - 700. CDNN has both the Lanber 2087 and the Daly Diamond III for around $550 - 600. I have heard good things and bad things about both (bad quality, etc), but the CD Diamond is built in Italy, not Turkey (the only reason I debating it), and a ton of people have Lanbers, so they can't be junk. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.

Post subject: Re: Daly vs Lanber O/U
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

finest_moto wrote:
a ton of people have Lanbers, so they can't be junk. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.

Don't use that as your metric! There are more Remington Spartans out there than there are Krieghoffs... does that make the Spartan a better gun?

That said, the Lanber does seem to be the best made gun at that price point, if you simply MUST have an O/U. At the volume you suggest you'd be using it, it should last you a good long time.

Post subject: re: Daly vs Lanber O/U
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I guess what I was trying to do is to invite anyone who has a Lanber or Daly to say why they like it. You're right - that did seem like a generalization. Also, a Spartan 310 in definitely NOT better than a Krieghoff K-80, IMHO ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:29 pm 
Field Grade

Wow finest_moto,

I'm in the exact same boat. I've really narrowed it to these two guns, but there just doesn't seem to be a large number of folks with the daly diamond NRA series. I really like the look of them, but I've never seen one in person. Seems a largish risk to take sight unseen, but maybe worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Exactly. I do like the CD and since they are made by Marocchi, it seems like a good deal. Have you had a chance to look at one? Occasionally, some come into the local shops in my area but they don't stay long. Maybe that's a good sign? One thing, I called Charles Daly (really KBI or something like that) and it is proofed for steel shot. Something to think about.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:50 pm 
Field Grade

finest_moto,

I was just looking at pictures of both guns you mentioned, and going by looks alone (since I have handled neither) it seems that the Daly is a little nicer gun (IMHO). Then I went to the price list on the Daly website, the Diamond III lists for $1369.00. Did you say you could get it for $550-$600? If that is the case, the Daly would almost seem like a steal @ 50+% off, or is retail price on these guns way overboard? Like you said, they are made by Marocchi, which seems to be a solid manufacturer, from what I've read.

I might have passed on the Winchester Select I bought had I known I could have saved another $200 by getting the Daly Diamond III (I was actually very interested in looking at them until I saw the list price-$1369 was out of my range). But who knows, there is something to be said for actually handling a gun before purchase, and I don't know if that would have happened for me with the Daly (besides, the Win. fits me great and handles like a dream- Hey,look! I just justified the extra $200!! :lol:).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:05 am 
Tournament Grade

I've had a Lanber 2088 for a year and a half now, and I am very pleased with it. The main thing, of course, is that it fits me perfectly, so it shoots where I look with very little felt recoil. The finish and looks are very good for the price range. You can see a couple of photos in the "other" section, with the heading "Lanber 2088 waiting for action".

In the past I have had a Beretta 686 and a Miroku 7000. I bought the Beretta new, but try as I might I could not hit a thing with it. The Miroku was old and loose, but it was also a very good fit and I got good scores with it.

All in all, I would say that the Lanber is my preferred gun out of the three I have had, but it is purely subjective.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:26 am 
Field Grade

I have a Daly Italian-made double that was won in a Pheasants Forever drawing. I haven't shot it a lot, since I have an Ithaca/SKB 600 and a Beretta Onyx as well, but it handles pretty good. I've only put maybe 200 rounds through the gun, but it has always functioned perfectly. They are not a Beretta by any means; the stockwork is so-so and they just don't have quite as solid a feel. Still, they don't cost nearly as much, either. I have more faith in Italian makers than Turkish, but as far as a Lanber goes I have no experience. A lot of people on this board seem to like them, so it is probably a good option. I think that for lower-volume shooting either one is probably going to work just fine. Good luck!
DDG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:57 am 
Utility Grade

A buddy of mine purchased the Daly from CDNN and I must say that I am very impressed by the fit, finish, and overall quality of this gun. Especially at this price point. To this point he has put about 400-500 rounds through it without a hiccup. I have never shot the lanber so I cant comment on that but I have handled a few and they seem to be very quality guns as well. Strictly from a fit and finish standpoint the Daly would get the nod from me but I honestly dont think you could go wrong with either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:56 pm 
Field Grade

By the way, if you haven't seen them, here are 3 pdfs concerning these shotguns that I found by google. Fairly interesting reading, but be aware they are pretty big pdf files (need adobe acrobat to read them):

http://www.charlesdaly.com/inthepress/AmericanHunter122005/AmericanHunter122005_hi.pdf

http://www.charlesdaly.com/inthepress/TraditionsSummer2005/TraditionsSummer2005_hi.pdf

http://www.charlesdaly.com/inthepress/AmericanRifleman012006/ar012006_hi.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:35 pm 
Utility Grade

This may sound like a stretch, but I've heard that Lanbers generally fit like a Beretta and CD generally fit like a Browning. While this may one person's opinion, I have handled (and shot both). The B gun just didn't fit me that great, even though I have a BPS that I like. The Beretta, IMO, had a different feel and was totally opposite of the Browning. While I know fit is totally subjective, this seems like they are quite different shotguns?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:38 am 
Field Grade

Well I bit the bullet and ordered my Diamond Grade III from CDNN. I haven't shot it yet, but plan to hit the field this Saturday.

So far, having not shot it yet, I really like it a lot. It's my first O/U, and I don't have much experience shooting shotguns, but I've been bitten pretty hard by the bug. So much so that I swung by Bass Pro last night and picked up a couple of flats of ammo, a shooting vest, etc.

An interesting tidbit for those really interested in this shotgun. As you may know, this shotgun appears to be manufactured by Marocchi, an Italian shotgun maker. I took the time to download the manual for their Model 99 shotgun from their website. The exploded parts diagrams for the Model 99 and the one from the Charles Daly manual I received with my shotgun are almost identical with the exceptions of part numbers, the trigger group (the Grade III is non-adjustable, whereas the 99 is), and maybe one or two small parts. At some point I hope to be able to scan in the parts diagram from the Charles Daly manual and post up some comparisons.

Here is a link to some pictures I took. I apologize, but the packing grease is still quite visible in places.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlmoon/sets/72157603998889532/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Great to hear, jlmoon! How do you like it? I ended up getting a Lanber (got a deal I couldn't pass up) but really was considering the CD. Did you shoot it yet? Took my Lanber last weekend and went to the local range - it handled great, but a little on the lighter side. Not the best for trap but will be good in the field.

Let us know how it did.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:25 am 
Field Grade

Just a quick update:

I weighed the parts (just broken down to barrel, forend, and receiver/stock) this morning. The barrels weigh 3 lbs 10.3 oz. Altogether, the parts add up to 8 lbs 9 oz. Definitely a load, but hopefully will aid in recoil reduction.

I'm taking her out to shoot tomorrow AM. I'll let you know how I do. Personally, I'm so new at this that I'm thinking any misses are going to be my fault, not the gun's!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Diamond III as well.

FYI, the Diamond II and III are the same except the finish on the stock and the three has the nickel receiver (or so I read somewhere).

Mine shoots great. They take RemChokes in case you didn't know, that's nice and easy to find.

Maybe it is a little heavy. LOP was long for me like any other shotgun from the factory. I cut the stock and installed a Pachmayr Decelerator (which I like a lot more).

I've only shot mine about 200-250 rounds, but it shoot nice, nicer than anything else I own.

I looked at Stoegers and Remingtons at Dicks, and this Charles Daly is much nicer in fit and finish. I'm talking about the NRA Italian (Marocchi mfd) ones.

Enjoy.

JW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:37 am 
Field Grade

Field report time!

I've taken the Diamond III out twice now for about 125 rounds each time. The first day out, I had a few issues of failure to fire when setting the top barrel to fire first. Extremely annoying, especially considering I was trying to shoot skeet and really didn't know what I was doing. Additionally, I had an issue of the trigger pull on the second shot being lighter/shorter on some occasions when setting the lower barrel first, but this didn't happen consistently.

I pulled the receiver from the stock when I got home and cleaned it up fairly well. When I moved the barrel selector from one side to the other, a spring shot out the side of the action, which took me forever to find. Upon further investigation, it appears that the pin meant to retain the sears was shifted too far to the right, allowing the sear for the upper barrel to flop around. This also allowed the spring to be ejected. I replaced the spring and re-aligned the pin (with some effort mind you!) and reassembled the shotgun. Function testing with snap caps was fine.

As an aside, I have noted that when dry firing the gun, whichever barrel is selected will click first, and, as expected with an inertia system, the second barrel will not fire. However, if the safety is switched on and then off again, this appears to be sufficient to allow the second barrel to fire. No banging on the floor for me!

On my second range outing, I had zero malfunctions of any kind. All firing, whether from the top or bottom barrel first, was exactly as I intended it to be and the selective ejectors performed perfectly, even on occasions where both barrels were loaded but only one shot was fired (only the empty was ejected). I, however, need to spend a lot more time at the range. Maze clays is extremely challenging!

I really like my shotgun, though I must say having to realign the pin in it straight from the factory is a little annoying. That aside, it's quite a lot of fun to shoot and is, to me anyway, quite easy on the eyes. I'd certainly recommend it to others, and am not at all sorry about buying it, especially considering the price! (<600 including shipping and ffl transfer fee).

I'm more than happy to answer any questions I can about these shotguns. Shotgunworld has been a very helpful place to me, and the least I can do is return the favor as best as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

My experience was better, I didn't have to fool with a pin or lost spring. It's a nice piece for the money.

JW

Post subject: Re: re: Daly vs Lanber O/U
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:33 am 
Field Grade

jlmoon wrote:
As an aside, I have noted that when dry firing the gun, whichever barrel is selected will click first, and, as expected with an inertia system, the second barrel will not fire. However, if the safety is switched on and then off again, this appears to be sufficient to allow the second barrel to fire. No banging on the floor for me!

the lanber does this as well. no banging on the floor required :)

sorry to hear your from-factory setup was bung but at least you knew what to fix. Just think on those who buy the same gun and (cant/dont want to) fix it themselves.

heres hoping you have no more probs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a 2097 Lanber with many thousands of rounds through it. When I clean it, I look for wear and can't find any. :D