It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Verona - Who made what?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:01 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Just had a thought and if we get a good response, I think it would be a good sticky.

Who makes the different models of Verona's and what is the equivalent in another brand? I'll start:

LX 980 is made by Zoli. Also known as the Zoli Kronos and Zoli Z gun. The differences between models are very subtle. Some subtle changes in stock shape. The Z guns imported by Coles have Ti Nitride coating on the trigger internals and the LX 980 and Kronos lack this feature.

Post subject: re: Verona - Who made what?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

...and the LX-5XX, 6XX, and 7XX O/Us are made by Isadore Rizzini (F.A.I.R.). The SX-8XX autoloaders are made by Bernardelli, I think, and the SX-4XX autoloaders are Turkish, I think made by Sarmilaz.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well, mjgunner did a really good job of explaining all of the difference in the 500 series by F.A.I.R. www.fair.it It is a sticky, maybe someone can somehow attach that to this sticky?

F.A.I.R. also made the 600 series and 700 series.

The 500 series is now imported by Savage under the Milano name. http://www.savagearms.com/Savage_Milano.htm
Again, I would say if someone can attach the mjgunner post, it would go well here.

That and I am sure some 600/700 series owners can chime in as well. I would guess that the 700 series is equivalent to the Cortona line imported by Kalispel Case. www.cortonashotguns.com

The 400 series 401/405 are now imported by H&R/NEF and are called the Excell auto. http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/excell.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:35 pm 

I see no need for me to chime in, you guys did very well and hit the nail on the head with your posts.

BTW, your wonderful, knowledgable, good looking, friend to all, original Ohio Verona Open Champion, etc, etc......Moderator...(me :lol: ) can make this a sticky. All you have you have to do is ask. :wink:

Those that can, do.......because they had good teachers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:50 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Oh yeah, make it a sticky. This is good information for everyone. If everyone knows who made their Veronas and who's importing the same gun now, then we know where we can get parts and support. Make it a sticky.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:35 pm 
Crown Grade

I have handled several Milanos and I would not equate them with the 5XX series. They are more on the lines of the 680.

Post subject: Re: re: Verona - Who made what?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:10 am 
Diamond Grade

KT13 wrote:
I have handled several Milanos and I would not equate them with the 5XX series. They are more on the lines of the 680.

I can see that comparison, but the wood I have seen on the Milanos I have handled is not even as good as my 501. And, the Milanos, unless they have changed, only come with the factory chokes and I thought that the 680 came with Brileys? Maybe only some of them?

I am really not that familiar with the 680, only handled one, seemed to be very similar to the 500 series except for little cosmetic differences. Are there any internal differences?

The 692 is a very nice looking gun, but with the right-hand palm swell, it didn't work for me, but great looking gun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

I was talking about appearances, not chokes. The wood I have seen on the Milanos is certainly better than the wood on my 2 5XX series guns. I have handled the Milanos at several different stores. I found them to be a very nice gun and now that they have dropped below 1k will probably pick up a 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:57 am 
Diamond Grade

KT13 wrote:
I was talking about appearances, not chokes. The wood I have seen on the Milanos is certainly better than the wood on my 2 5XX series guns. I have handled the Milanos at several different stores. I found them to be a very nice gun and now that they have dropped below 1k will probably pick up a 20 gauge.

OK, makes sense. You must have found some different Milanos than what I have as far as wood, but the wood on my 503s is definitely better than the Milanos I have seen, but that is only 8 of them, so I am sure there is some nice wood out there. IMO, Savage should have went with an oil finish rather than the laquer or whatever it is(like the 501), but that is just my preference.

And yes, I agree, I think Savage will sell more in that $800-$1000 price range, and if I can find a nice 28 gauge I will own one. That $1200-$1500 area is a tough place to start a gun.

Anyone have a Cortona? Would they be higher end than the 700 series?

Post subject: Re: Verona - Who made what?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a added question for all you sx-405 owners...My older brother has a verona 405 semi-auto, He only has one tube MOD. If we find a H&R excell would it have the same tubes? could we use them in the verona sx-405? PLUS parts ??? can we order from both verona and H&R for the same gun??? We are haveing a hard time finding a IMP. CYL. tube for him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Get a Trulock choke for him. . .check out www.cdnninvestments.com and see what they have or give them a call. . .Trulocks for $9.99 is a heck of a deal. I have a full set.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

thanks Omega! I'll let him know!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:38 pm 
Utility Grade

does h&r still import the verona sx405?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I recently ran across an LX502 w/engraving, etc., looks unfired, mint cond. The tubes in the bbls are the only ones he (pawn shop) has. It's a 12 ga. Can be had for $400. Should I?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would, I really like the 28 gauge 501 I recently purchased. That seems like a good price for a high condition gun. If you decide to pass would you PM me the information on the shop? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:13 pm 
Crown Grade

hoselayer wrote:
I see no need for me to chime in, you guys did very well and hit the nail on the head with your posts.

BTW, your wonderful, knowledgable, good looking, friend to all, original Ohio Verona Open Champion, etc, etc......Moderator...(me :lol: ) can make this a sticky. All you have you have to do is ask. :wink:

What the heck is a "sticky" :?: (I really need to get with the program !)....... :oops: :oops:

Blaser F3 Super Trap 34" Unsingle
Beretta DT11 30" Skeet
Beretta SP 1 30" Sport
Browning Ultra XS Sport 30"

Post subject: Re: Verona - xl 501 .410 compare to 20 gauge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I been trying different guns to find one that fits me. Found the Verona clay 501 in 410. I love it everything about it. Need bigger gauge in sporting clay. How would I like the 20 in this gun?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Back in September, my wife and I went to Hillsdale College, Hillsdale, MI, for a “Couples for Liberty Shooting Camp.” Hillsdale has built a world class shooting sports center and their shotgun team has won the national collegiate championship 3 of the last 5 years.

While I did some bird hunting back in high school & college in Arkansas, she had never shot a shotgun before. We are both retired USAF.

We both did Hillsdale's obligatory first day pistol course (a refresher course for us, as we have taken several NRA pistol courses). The 2nd day, Eva tried her hand with the shotgun course—she was not initially too excited. Well, the next session, she got the right instructor and started breaking clay pigeons. She spent the last two days of the course shooting trap, skeet and sporting clays with the rest of us "bubbas." As she said, “I can shoot my own pistol back home.”

Well, we are now members of a local area shooting club and currently shoot trap on Sunday mornings.

Eva now has a beautiful, Verona over/under 12 gauge 28" barrels and is pretty darn handy with it. I got a very nice Winchester from the same gun shop. Both were on consignment from an estate, but in excellent shape. The salesman from the gun shop where we bought our shotguns shoots at the same club—he was impressed with Eva’s shooting ability as a newbie.

While there is no model number on her Verona, we believe it's a LX692 Gold Sporting with silver sideplates and gold inlaid birds on 3 sides. Might be the 680. Her's has the beavertail forend, not the Schnabel forend. It came with a full set of chokes. I based this from the 2009 Standard Catalog of Firearms, 19th Edition, Dan Shideler, Page 1281.

I've called some "previous dealers/importers" to find the exact model # and good information is hard to find.

This forum has been quite helpful. If anyone has more exacting model information, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Also, I'd like to find an owner's manual or at least recommended maintenance information.

r/
jack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:32 pm 
Utility Grade

The barrel is stamped with ECC Boulder City NV
r/
jack