CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What shot size for coyotes?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:42 pm 
Field Grade

I may shoot the ocasional fox also. It is not legal to shoot them in arkansaw with shot larger than T shot. No slugs!
I will be using a 20 guage modified choke. I know a lot of people would suggest a 12 guage, but I don't have the money for one now. :?:

Last edited by shootercochran on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: What shot size for coyotes?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

You can do fine with your 20 gauge. I have killed a few with 00 buck out of a single shot 20 gauge with a modified choke. I personally prefer 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge but a 20 will work out to 30 yards easy. I would use a load of 3 inch mag buckshot. I prefer 00.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:00 am 
Field Grade

But 20 guage dosen't come in 00 buck? Would #2 buck work?

Federal 3 inch 18 pellets. However I was thinking Remington long range Express #4 Feed back appriciated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes any kind of buckshot will work. I used to use normal #2 lead not buck with and killed a few like that too. Sorry i was not away a 20 gauge did not have 00 buck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Any kind of buckshot is at least .24" in diameter which will be larger than size "T" shot (.20") so that option is forbidden by law. In factory loads you are then limited to #2 lead shot (very hard to find as I think they were dropped years ago and expensive when found), lead #4 (distant 3rd place in my opinion when used in the 3" 12 ga and 10 ga and not very preferred in the 20 ga), #4 Hevi-Shot (second place choice), and the best option, #2 Hevi-Shot. The 20 ga has a relatively light payload and along with its smaller bore does not typically like to pattern larger shot sizes very well. This greatly reduces the effective range of the combo and I feel 30 yards would be a reasonable maximum with lead shot and maybe another 5-10 yards with the Hevi-Shot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:59 pm 
Field Grade

I appriciate the replies! I will experament with a few loads to see what works best. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:52 am 
Diamond Grade

Don't underestimate #2 lead shot.
Might be hard to find in 20 gauge. Don't know.
Try www.midwayusa.com.
No one I know of makes 00 buck in 20 gauge.
I think it's #2 or #3 buck that is factory loaded.
Truthfully at s.g. ranges buck isn't necessary to kill an animal under 40 pounds wieght.
Years ago my uncle hutning gray and red fox where he lived in Pa.
Back then, (way back then) the State paid a bounty of 5 bucks per fox killed.
40 plus years ago 5 bucks was near a days wages.
His favorite s.g. was the Remington M-11, a copy of the Browning A-5, in 12 bore with a poly choke, and of course 2 3/4" chambers.
His load was Winchester "baby magnums". A 2 3/4" hi brass hull with 1.5 ounces of lead #2 shot. This in the days before plated shot, buffered loads, shot collars and shot cups.
He took fox out to a full 60 yards and as close and 10 yards with that gun and load.
Even at extreme range the #2 shot would almost always shoot thru and thru a fox.
If you can find #2 shot and perhaps limit shots to 40 yards and less I feel you could take yotes with that load.
As always you want to shoot on paper to check pattern density at the furthest range you will shoot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:30 pm 
Field Grade

You will do fine with a 20 gauge with 3 " shells of T-shot. They will be very effective and will work farther than you may think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:21 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:43 am 
Field Grade

I just picked up about 30 rounds of 2 3/4'' #3 buckshot from federal for my 20 gauge. I had to call around to all sorts of stores before I found one that had 20 gauge buckshot in stock. This was the only buckshot I could find in 20ga period around here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:41 pm 
Field Grade

I found some remington express 20 guage #3 buckshot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

#3 BUCK will do fine.

#4 BUCK has done great for me on two coyotes (Farthest one right at 40 yards) Mod Choke (Go ahead and experiment, but with larger shot there's a point where your patterns get worse with tighter chokes.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:01 pm 
Crown Grade

From what you said, #3 buck is ILLEGAL.

BT

Cole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:57 pm 
Field Grade

A buddy of mine was an MP. He said #1 buck was what they used in their shotguns because anything larger would go right through a human and waste a lot of the energy. #00 buckshot on a 35 pound coyote? Way too big for a human so it's way too big for a coyote!

You want something that will go in and tear them up, not something that will pass through them as slick as can be. Now if you could eat the coyote afterwards #00 might be a good idea. :D

After all, a .22 magnum is quite an effective cartridge on the thin skinned coyote.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

00 buck is not going to "pass through" a human "as slick as can be." It is what most law enforcement agencies use. Not saying it's optimal for coyotes but it is definitely NOT too big for humans.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:15 am 
Field Grade

Well, he may have been exagerrating but #1 is what the MP's had to use because #00 was not a good choice for humans according to his superiors.

I plan to use .223 Rem on coyotes this Fall. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:47 pm 
Field Grade

#4 buckshot works best.You can back it up with a slug if there is a double and one runs off after you shoot the first one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a case of Federal 3" 2oz lead BB's
they do the job in my 835 with a standard full choke

Post subject: Re: re: What shot size for coyotes?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:58 am 
Crown Grade

yotecaller wrote:
#4 buckshot works best.You can back it up with a slug if there is a double and one runs off after you shoot the first one.

yep !
dont underestimate the versatility of a double 12gauge. i`ve often stalked with 4 shot followed by a 2 shot in the other barrel. but dont forget your loosing lots of lead in the second shot. so alittle choke, cant be a bad idea.

i only have experience with 12g 42gram BB. and it worls for pretty much anything (within reason) apart form that i cant help !

i`d try and avoud using SG over any `distance`. !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I killed a nice fat coyote with a real nice pelt this year while hunting pheasant in N. Dakota. The load was 1 1/8 oz. #6 in a PC Post spreader wad with 18 grains of promo in a 2 3/4" Win. AA hull. He was close, but I was still surprized. It was an instant kill. If I had to pick a load for coyotes, it would be 2 to 2.5 oz. of copper plated, buffered BB'S in the right barrel of my 10 ga. sxs Beretta & hard #4 buck in the left barrel. It would also be nice to have a rifle handy.