CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 10 gauge, best for hunting big game?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:43 am 
Utility Grade

Ive got my heart set on a 10 gauge shotgun. Does anybody have any opinions/ideas on which 10 gauge is the best? Id also like some recommendations on ammo types for hunting elk, bear and other big game. Im really new to all of this and any ideas on which 10 gauge shotgun and ammo match would be the best for pure stopping power would be greatly appreciated. All opinions welcome.

Note: Id like either pump or semi-auto action

thanks,
Curly Fry

Post subject: re: 10 gauge, best for hunting big game?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:40 am 
Crown Grade

Browning makes their BPS pump, which I suspect is a fine shotgun, seeing as to how it's the only pump 10 Gauge on the market. Remington makes their SP-10, a gun which used to be an Ithaca design. Remington makes the SP-10 with a rifle sighted barrel designed for turkey hunting, but I don't see why you couldn't have a choke tube bored out to IC or so and then be able to shoot Federal's monster 2 1/4 (I think) oz slug.

BT

Cole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:30 am 
Utility Grade

So the sp-10 looks pretty good to me:

http://www.remingtonpro.com/item/37267_ ... tguns.aspx

But with what kind of ammunition?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:52 pm 
Crown Grade

The 10 Gauge slubs (which only weight 1 3/4 oz :shock: ) near the botom of this page: http://www.federalpremium.com/ballistic ... arm=5&s1=1 , and perhaps the buckshot that resides at the top os this page: http://www.federalpremium.com/ballistic ... arm=5&s1=1

BT

Cole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:26 pm 
Utility Grade

will the 1 3/4 ounce slugs have enough power to take down a black bear?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Yeah, probably way overkill too. As long as you're within 100 yards I'd say you're good.

BT

Cole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:04 pm 
Utility Grade

good, cause last time my dad went hunting a brown bear came charging at him, he thought it was black but i guess he was wrong, anyway, i just want to make sure im safe out there.

thanks for the help,
Curly Fry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm not sure where exactly you saw a 1 3/4 oz slug on federals web page (I looked pretty hard I have a 10g BPS and would be interested in seeing a slug that size) but all I saw on that page for 10g was ordinary shot. No buckshot either. That "BB" you saw listed there wasn't buckshot, but a waterfowl load literally the size of a BB, primarely used for harvesting geese. I have only seen 10g slugs come in a standard 1 oz variety, much like the 12g. I don't know if there is any real advantage to using a 10g for big game, but they excell at large birds like geese and turkeys due to their patterning and long shot string. Not to mention long range. All the slug and buckshot shells I've seen have been pretty much identical to 12g stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Sorry, the links are bad. When you click on the link, go to the top where you can "select gauge" and select 10. Then go over to the right where it shows shotshell and click on the drop down and scroll to either "Buckshot" or "slug".

Here's the slug: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

And Here's the Buckshot: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

The slugs are in stock, but the buckshot's out and will be for about 3 weeks.

BT

Cole

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

OK, I see them now. That must be an enourmous slug, and thanks for posting that link, I'm definately going to try some of those out. I haven't seen a slug that big ever. I have fired some 2 1/4 oz turkey loads (#6) out of the BPS that kick like a rented mule (and pattern exceptionaly well), so I'd imagine that these pack a heck of a lot of punch. Like enough to take care of any black bear that came across your path.
Damn, the more I think about it, that's nearly twice the size of a standard 12g slug. I need to get some of those.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

If I owned a 10 gauge, I know I sure would. Tried to get a guy to sell me a BPS, but he wouldn't :lol: I may get one eventually.

BT

Cole

Post subject: Re: re: 10 gauge, best for hunting big game?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:32 am 
Field Grade

Curly Fry wrote:
good, cause last time my dad went hunting a brown bear came charging at him, he thought it was black but i guess he was wrong, anyway, i just want to make sure im safe out there.

thanks for the help,
Curly Fry

Nothing a 10 guage can protect you from that a 12 can't and you will practice a lot more with the 12 than you would a 10 because the 10 kicks like a dang mule on steroids. If you want to protect yourself learn how to shoot a 12 with slug, 00 and slug loaded or 00, slug and 00.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:33 am 
Tournament Grade

I would choose one of the new 12ga. slug guns over a 10ga. every time these days!! The new 12ga. slugs easily out power and out penetrate the old style 10 ga slugs...

BUT, i'd choose a decent rifle over either when it comes to something for big game...

DM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:32 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Better option at lower cost with superior penetration!

Gun: Remington 870 Express with fully rifled barrel.

Ammunition: Dixie Terminator factory round: 730 grains, hard cast, heat treated, .73 caliber at 1200 fps.

Close range penetration comparison in wet-pack newspaper:

Dixie Terminator factory round: 29 inches

Federal factory loaded .416 Rigby with 400 grain Nosler
Partition at 2400 fps: 30 inches.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=121981

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

if you are thinking of using slugs, i'd stay with the 12 gauge over the 10. first off, no matter what shell you are looking at purchasing, the 12 gauge will have the most selection with the 10 gauge lagging far far behind. also AFAIK only federal sells slugs for the 10 gauge. so if they dont group you are S.O.L. whereas the 12 gauge has enough slugs availbe if you were to try one box of each you'd be broke!

12 gauge 2 3/4" shell is enough for dam near everything. then there is 3" and now w/ the 3.5" 12 gauge shells out (way over kill IMO) i see no need to go with the 10 gauge. i see buying a 10 gauge (new, not one that has history) being more bragging rights than anything else, and if you thought about it, you'd be way better off w/ the 12 gauge.

w/ the 12 gauge you can get very heavy shotgun loads, and factory loaded down to a standard 20 gauge load, and handloaded to a 28 gauge (i think its 28 gauge that the standard payload is 7/8oz)

no need to buy anything else IMO. i was thinking of going the opposite way you are going, and buying a 20 gauge for small game. but i found through research it being pointless. you buy 12 gauge loads that mimic a 20 gauge and they arent hard to find.... so whats the point?

if 10 gauge makes you happy by all means go with it, but know most likely a few months/years down the road you'd wish you had gone with a 12 gauge in one version or another.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:43 am 
Diamond Grade

Ditto "if the 10 gauge make you happy" then you should have it by all means. :D
I don't own one. Thought about it, got to looking into the ballistics, components for loading my own and promptly let the idea go.
The 10 gauge was about on deaths door step until lead shot was banned for waterfowl.
The ability of the 10 to throw a bucket of steel shot is what saved it from becoming obsolete for all practical purposes.
If you are thinking of defending yourself from a brown bear attack, an unlikely proposition, I suppose it would make sense to carry the biggest, baddest, stopper you can handle.
A 40 mm bofors cannon perhaps?
Remember: There are a ton of people fishing in brown bear country that carry a .44 magnum revolver and think they are safe.
I would opt for the 12 bore and Dixie slugs myself for such an unlikely situation.
At least with an 870 Express and a pockets full of Dixie slugs you could afford to practice hitting a bear in the brain while you back peddle while pooping your pants. :roll:
For the cost of one 10 gauge you could buy two 870 Remingtons in 12 gauge and have enough difference left over to buy plenty of Dixie slugs. :D
A fellow was posting his 2 ounce and 2 1/4 ounce lead turkey loads complete with pictures.
He average about a dozen 'kill' hits on the turkey at 40 yards.
I average about a dozen 'kill' hits with handloaded buffered shot that wieghs a puny 1.5 ounce and don't get a concussion from recoil.
If I were flush with bucks I'd have a 10 just to have one.
But I'll struggle along for now with a pair of 11-87's an 870, and two Mossy 500's in 12 bore.
The 12 bore is THE most versitile shotgun bore in the world, bar none. :D

Here is a pattern of #3 buck at 40 yards from one 11-87.
Note 18 of the buck are inside the 10 inch circle.
I would not use this load on bear but a broadside of this load should drop a deer and would be deadly on coyotes and fox.
I can load these for about 55 cents each.
I doubt you can buy or make 10 gauge loads for that.
I also doubt you can put as many buck into the 10 inch circle with the 10 gauge and factory ammo.
If it make you happy to have a 10 bore get one.
:D

Post subject: Re: re: 10 gauge, best for hunting big game?
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:40 am 
Crown Grade

banditt007 wrote:
if you are thinking of using slugs, i'd stay with the 12 gauge over the 10. first off, no matter what shell you are looking at purchasing, the 12 gauge will have the most selection with the 10 gauge lagging far far behind. also AFAIK only federal sells slugs for the 10 gauge. so if they dont group you are S.O.L. whereas the 12 gauge has enough slugs availbe if you were to try one box of each you'd be broke!

12 gauge 2 3/4" shell is enough for dam near everything. then there is 3" and now w/ the 3.5" 12 gauge shells out (way over kill IMO) i see no need to go with the 10 gauge. i see buying a 10 gauge (new, not one that has history) being more bragging rights than anything else, and if you thought about it, you'd be way better off w/ the 12 gauge.

w/ the 12 gauge you can get very heavy shotgun loads, and factory loaded down to a standard 20 gauge load, and handloaded to a 28 gauge (i think its 28 gauge that the standard payload is 7/8oz)

no need to buy anything else IMO. i was thinking of going the opposite way you are going, and buying a 20 gauge for small game. but i found through research it being pointless. you buy 12 gauge loads that mimic a 20 gauge and they arent hard to find.... so whats the point?

if 10 gauge makes you happy by all means go with it, but know most likely a few months/years down the road you'd wish you had gone with a 12 gauge in one version or another.

+1
i`ve only used. 12g but if he feels the need for a 10g with big stuff in mind, then its for him !
however a 10g used in the correct way will be as devastating to game as 12g,
i use a 12 for the versatility of the loads, (even some loads are forbidden here !) no slugs or shotsize bigger than 9mm, and must have a minimum of 5 equal size pieces of shot !
(uk law !)

Post subject: Re: 10 gauge, best for hunting big game?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:29 am 
Tournament Grade

I think I would hedge my bet on a semi-auto 12 gauge like my M4 with 9 rounds (or whatever your semi holds) of solid steel slugs. I think that would be better than some soft lead chunk when shooting at a bear.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

If I had to choose one of the guns I already own to hunt big bear, I would load my Ruger no. 1 in 45-70 as close to .458 ballistics as I could get it. If I could choose any gun, it would be a sxs .470 nitro express. Close range self defence is different. It will be close & fast. BPI sells (or did sell) a 10 ga. slug for bear protection. It is big, about 700 gr. I think. Actually, I believe it is just a .69 cal. minie ball. The 12 ga. is without a doubt the most versatile gun out there & can't be beat if you can only have one gun, but like they say, anything that does everything, doesn't do anything as good as it can be done. The 10 can be surprizingly versatile but you must reload to get the most out of it. If it can be loaded in a 12, more of it can be loaded in a 10. More is not always better & the 10 also does an excellent & efficient job with smaller payloads. I like my 10's & use them exclusively for big birds (big canadas & turkey) or anything that requires buckshot. The 10 may lag behind the 12 as far as what the ammo. companies have developed is concerned but it is way ahead in ability! I like my little guns too, but you run into the same problem trying to turn a 12 ga. into 10 ga. as you do trying to turn a 20 ga. into a 12 ga. Besides, I seldom have to worry about people bumming shells!! Do yourself a favor if you want to hunt big bear & buy a big rifle!! You can buy something used & have it rebarreled to something that is more suited to the job.

Jeager, I can beat the pants off that load at 60 yards, not 40. I can put 8 or 10 "000" in an area you can cover with your hand at 60 yds. I have shot patterns with lead #2's at 80 yds. a titmouse couldn't fly through!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

I do not and have never hunted big game with any shotgun.
But if one reloads, no reason not to have a 10ga!
It is not an all around gun. It fills a special niche. I think the original poster has a specific niche that the 10ga will fill just fine.

My opinion, The Browning Gold 10 would be better choice than its BPS and a much better weapon than either the Ithaca or Remingtion gun.

I have several 10's and have been thinking about using one of them for deer/turkey as turkey season is open through the firearm deer season now. Reloading a slug is cheaper than buying a drilling (although the latter has me quite intrigued!!)

I could use either 10ga double, have one barrel with slug, and the other with the turkey medicine. I am quite sure out of my deer sets that the 10ga would be more than effective.