CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Federal Flight Control Turkey Loads
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:36 am 
Field Grade

This is a question for all you patterning-aholics out there. What choke do you use for shooting Federal FlightControl Wad Turkey loads. I have seen sporadic reports that anything from skeet to turkey chokes will provide the same pattern. Any experience?

Post subject: re: Federal Flight Control Turkey Loads
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:38 am 
Presentation Grade

I just purchased some #5 3 inch flight control but I won't know this answer for another week or so. I plan on using my sbe2 factory full choke and I hope it gives me a good 30 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

SR -- If you want to shoot turkeys with them you will probably need to try some tight turkey chokes.

I patterned a 3" Fed. flight-control High-velocity 1 3/4 oz lead #5 load and a 3" Win. Supreme high-velocity 1 3/4 oz. lead #5 load through a Rem. Turkey Super-Full extended choke in an 870. Pretty much an apples to apples comparison.

40 yards Fed. High-velocity/flight-control = 85%
40 yards Win. Supreme High-velocity = 88%

Short story -- The Flight-control wad didn't do anything the regular Win. wad couldn't do as good. Both loads would have killed a turkey just as dead as the other, but the Win. was slightly better on the pattern board. You must go to the pattern board to confirm your gun/choke performance.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

yes....don't take anyone's word for what your pattern will be.....especially on turkey loads....cuz every manufacturer has some "magic" thing that makes their's better than the other guys. Pattern your gun at the distances you expect to shoot at and the proof is on the board!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:52 am 
Field Grade

Desertrat, is that a long haired Wiem? I have a shorthaired-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Location: Global because you Can't Kick Ass without Tanker Gas!
I used my Modified choke in my SBEII and my SPR453. At forty yards with 3.5" 2oz. loads had the best results of any shell I tried.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This ammunition is outstanding from what I've seen. It is wise to try all your choke tubes at the ranges you will be hunting at. I'm pretty sure you will be pleased with this ammo. The tightest best patterning turkey ammunition I've ever used over many years. And I've used many different types and makes... And as already mentioned, the proof will be on the board. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:59 pm 
Field Grade

I have had great luck with those very Federal Loads. I have two Mossberg 500's one 12 ga. and one 20 ga. all patterned and ready out to 45 yards. I have red dot scopes on each, and they both have the Hunters Specialties Undertaker xtra - full chokes. These have both taken multiple turkeys, but never had to shoot more than 20 steps. I like to get them in close.
I have another semi auto, Turkish made called a Gazelle. It has also patterned great with the same choke and combo of #6's.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

I feel very confident out to 40 yards with an H.S. undertaker and a 835 with that exact load.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:46 pm 
Crown Grade

I have not used that FC wad yet, in either turkey loads or the Black Cloud waterfowl loads, but it sounds like we have read the same reports. The whole point of that wad, as I understand it, is that the wad itself holds the pattern together longer without much help from the choke. So, that shell should produce a similar tight pattern out of a modified choke or an extra full choke. Special wad stripping chokes might have the effect of ruining the pattern, also.

If you already have a super tight choke, you might not see any benefit from the FC wad. For a gun like the 153/453 with relatively open factory chokes, it should help a lot.

A few people at my club must be trying them because those huge wads are starting to litter the rifle range.

Jeremiah