CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maverick 88 security vs. H&R pardner pump protector
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been looking at both of these shotguns at Academy lately and am torn between them...On one hand the Maverick 88 has the Mossberg name behind it, but I know it is the cheaper version of the 500. I have also heard alot of good things about the H&R, which is supposedly Chinese made by Norinco. I really like the feel of the H&R. If anyone has any input on either of these shotguns it would be appreciated.

Post subject: re: Maverick 88 security vs. H&R pardner pump protector
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shoulder them both and see which one feels better....

They will both do the job and go bang when you pull the trigger.

Smitty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:59 pm 
Limited Edition

The Maverick will be compatible with 500 stocks (not forends) and a few more accesories. My friend and I went looking at the same two shotguns when he was in search for a home defense gun and decided to go with the Maverick. The reputable name and the lighter weight were the two deciding factors for him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:01 pm 
Field Grade

I have 2 Mossberg 500's, a handfull of 870's and 1 H&R Pardner protector. All have been 100% reliable and have had zero issues. The H&R is a Chinese 870 copy, although it appears to be more ruggedly built than any of my 870's (I've got a 30 y/o Wingmaster & 2 relatively new Express models). It seems to weigh more than the 870 and is MUCH heavier than the Mossberg. If I were out of shells and needed to club a zombie into submission, the H&R would definitely be my first choice. The H&R is a very solid shotgun. The only thing I don't like about it (other than where it was made) is that the stock feels a little narrow or "sharp" at the top edge and is uncomfortable on the cheek after more than about 10 rounds. I bought it for the price and because I was curious about the brand. I find that I take the H&R out to shoot the most because it gives my "nice" shotguns a break. The above advice to try them all out is, as always, the best bet. At one time, Dick's had the Pardner for $149 + tax.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Mav is compatible with the 500 forends also if you swap out the Mav forend with the 500 forearm assembly. This swap costs somewhere around the $60 to $75 dollar range and is very simple to do.

Other than that, I can't tell you crap. I know nuttin' about the norinco.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:17 am 
Limited Edition

Get the Maverick over the Chi-Com 870. It has more accessories compared to the H&R, and the money doesn't go to the PLA.

"I'll stick with what I know. You two just keep circle jerking with ammo manufacturer's data." Originally posted by Spurrit on why steel barrels are valid forms of ballistic testing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:31 am 
Presentation Grade

There are just as many or more accessories for the H&R Pardner Pump. All the 870 accessories with fit them.

Remington owns Marlin H&R NEF. The money is going to Remington and they are giving their money Hawk Ind. and Hawk Ind. is giving their money to China.

I would go with the Norinco 982 with Ghost Ring Sights. You will get more for your money. The 982 is not quite as heavy the Humpback Pardner Pump, less steel in the receiver.

The Norinco made shotguns are a step above the Maverick and the Remington Express HD shotguns.

GC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'd go with the Mav and do the forend conversion. Then all Mossy 500 stuff will fit.

I've read, but don't know first hand, that 870 barrels do not swap with the Pardner without modification.

I'd also consider the warranty, if they aren't both lifetime, which is better.

It probably just comes down to preference of controls. Safety and action release placement, stuff like that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Barrels of the 870 will not work on the Norinco made shotguns. The barrel locking lug on the Nornico is located higher up and in a better location.

GC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:03 pm 
Limited Edition

I have both and will grab for the pardner before my mossy or maverick. Too many problems with them. I also like that the 870 stuff will swap with the pardner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:10 pm 
Field Grade

This thread has got me thinking (a dangerous and potentially expensive thing). Since I've got the Pardner with the hump-back receiver, will an 870 aftermarket stock still fit? As I posted earlier, I don't really like the feel of the stock on my Pardner and I'm thinking it would be handy to swap it out with the 12" LOP overmolded stock from Hogue. If anyone has tried this, please comment. Also, where's the best place to get the short Hogue stock? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

The 870 stocks will fit.

I had a customer who put a Mesa Tactical High tube stock adapter with rail on his PP and he said was a tight fit but it worked.

The Norinco shotguns are like a military shotgun. They are built like a tank, over built.

Norinco makes firearms for the military.

GC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:56 am 
Presentation Grade

I had a norinco copy of an ithaca, really wish still did. It had dual action bars like a remington or mossy. Its been said b4 but I'll say one word about norinco shotguns -SOLID-

Post subject: Re: re: Maverick 88 security vs. H&R pardner pump protec
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:43 am 
Diamond Grade

MAX100 wrote:
Norinco makes firearms for the military.

870_gunman wrote:
Its been said b4 but I'll say one word about norinco shotguns - SOLID-

Another word about Norinco is Chinese, if it matters to you. That military Max mentioned is China's, I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:07 am 
Presentation Grade

Norinco has made Arms for militaries all over the world at one time or another, even the USA military.

The Navy Seals and the Military Defense Council of Finland, both selected Norinco of China to supply Chinese type 56 AK-47 rifles.

GC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

Man the cold war is over, I dont lose sleep worry'n about "the reds", China is not our enemy. And dont say well they were during korea,or vietnam, cause they helped them..... sheesh britain was our enemy once to....and if china ever did invade us we could just use their weapons againts them for those into "red dawn" type scenarios....

Post subject: Re: re: Maverick 88 security vs. H&R pardner pump protec
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

870_gunman wrote:
Man the cold war is over, I dont lose sleep worry'n about "the reds", China is not our enemy. And dont say well they were during korea,or vietnam, cause they helped them..... sheesh britain was our enemy once to....and if china ever did invade us we could just use their weapons againts them for those into "red dawn" type scenarios....

Thanks for the sermon, but I made no comment about China at all. I simply said Norinco was Chinese, if that matters to you. It does to some people. Maybe you need to cut down on the coffee.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

lol sorry, was kinda crosswired with another thread, sorry if I come off directing most of that towards you, just sayin ,.... ya know? anyways I dont drink coffee lol I'm naturally full of it, I'll leave the "it" part open for interpitation....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, here's my NEF Pardner Pump Protector (made by Norinco). Just got back from the range where it handled 3 dozen mixed field & heavy buck loads w/o difficulty. Max100's +2 mag tube extension was easy to install and worked perfectly at the range. Didn't change the gun much, added a 4-shot sidesaddle, the +2 mag tube extension, fiber optic bead & a Streamlight TLR-1 on a Laserlyte rail mount. Action has smoothed considerably w/just the few dozen times it's been worked and it shoulders perfectly for me (YMMV). Only time will tell if it ends up being as rugged & reliable as the two Norinco Hawk 88 shotguns sitting in my gunsafe but so far I'm a happy camper!
Tomac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:51 am 
Field Grade

If one fits you better than the other that would be my choice but I will say that Mossberg/Maverick customer service is second to none.
I bought a NEF pump for my brother because that's all I could afford at the time. I now avoid chinese products if at all possible. Not because of the NEF but because of countless chinese products that have failed, wasting the planets resources by making junk. Not to mention the loss of local jobs and the fact that China basically owns the US now. I won't go into details but take the time to educate yourself on exactly what is going on in the global economy and with China's daily purchases of US treasury bonds and then see if you can buy any chinese goods with a clear conscience.