CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shooting slugs in non rifled barrels?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm 
Utility Grade

i have a remington 870 pump shotgun. it has an 18 inch cylinder barrel. it has no choke at all. its pure open. and i was wondering if i shoot slugs out of this barrel, what kind of results should i expect. will it be accurate or not.

Post subject: Re: shooting slugs in non rifled barrels?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

modenar,
Grab some Foster (rifled) Slugs and head to the range. If you have the means try installing a back sight of some sort onto the rib of your barrel or a saddle mount and scope. I don't think it's out of the relm of possibility to shoot sub 9" groups @ 80-100 yards. Your mileage may vary but if you find a load your gun likes you'll be suprised by what a smooth barrel can do.

There are plenty of guys that can shoot sub 3" groups @ 50 yards after they've dialed in a load their guns like.

Post subject: Re: shooting slugs in non rifled barrels?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Try the various Brenneke brand rifled slugs. They make KO cheap slugs, as well as others with more exotic designs. Remington Buck Hammers are also cheap. Don't try any of the sabot slugs designed for rifled barrels.