CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Left handed Beretta
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:40 pm 
Field Grade

I am looking at the Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U's and the Ultralight, in a left handed version (also looking at some Guerini's, but that is another story...). Turning to the Beretta USA web site, they note that the guns do not come in a left handed version, but it might--if the dealer is willing--be possible to order one. In addition, current owners of the shotguns could send them in to be evaluated for a possible switching of cast off to cast on stocks, etc. Then I guess Beretta sends a quote on the switch out which could vary several hundered dollars depending on the gun, blah, blah, blah.
Beretta does not import a left handed version of our over and under shotguns. We do carry an inventory of left hand stocks and for a nominal fee the shotgun can be converted prior to shipment. This service is offered at the dealers discretion and based on the availability of the firearm, stocks, and triggers (if required), the shotgun can be converted prior to shipment. When placing an order for this item, the dealer should verify this information to confirm availability, delivery and final costs.

"For those customers who already own Beretta firearms and would like to have this conversion made, we suggest that you return your over and under shotgun to Beretta for examination. Based on this review and the availability of the stocks and triggers (if required), a quotation will be prepared for them. Cost for this service can run from $150 to $1000 or more based on the model of shotgun, grade of wood and the condition of your original stock. For information on how to return your firearm, please visit our web page online at http://www.berettausa.com/customer/request_service.cfm"

I was thrown off by the FAQ under left handed guns:
"Beretta does not produce a left-handed version of our over and unders. However, for our competition line, we offer, at a charge, a conversion." I initially took that to mean that if you wanted a field gun in a southpaw version, you were SOL...

Sorry for the pessimism, but getting any information from the Beretta folks has been like pulling teeth for me. I drove up to two dealers yesterday, but one wanted me to call back today to ask the manager if it could be ordered that way and the other one just didn't know if it could be done, but he 'suppose'd' he could call and find out. Thought I would turn to the real experts.

Has anyone out there gotten either the Silver Pigeon or Ultralight in a left handed version? If so, who are the dealers out there that are willing to work with someone on this, or did you deal with Beretta directly.

Thank you.

Post subject: re: Left handed Beretta
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No big deal. A good gunsmith can bend the stock from cast off to cast on. Here is one good one: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=36237

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:29 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

No big deal is right. Just order a LH Guerini and you will be very happy that you did. Getting a LH Beretta is possible, but it might be more of a pain than you are willing to deal with. You should not have a problem getting a LH Guerini in the model of your choice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Whatever you do, DO NOT send your gun to Beretta without a WRITTEN cost - they will bill your credit card and then do the work, and if it isn't quite up to snuff good luck trying to get it rectified- I've had one friend with an older Silverhawk get billed for bluing that didn't happen; another with a SO5 whose stock broke 3 times - they billed him for each stock, and it wasn't cheap.....

as others have said, have a smith bend it, or find a stocker and get one made to your exact measurements

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:50 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a left handed Guerini and I am pleased as punch. I can almost guarantee that if you go this way you will not be disappointed. They are extremely southpaw conscious.

CONFIDENCE

A little voice in the the back of your head telling that you belong!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:31 pm 
Field Grade

You guys and your Guerini's! It does seem like a fairly simple solution, doesn't it...except for that extra thousand bucks, hah!

O.K. then, until the rest of these guys get their stuff together on O/U's for southpaws, tell me what model Guerini you got and why you like it. How long have you had it and where did you get it (them?)?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:50 pm 
Limited Edition

The truly stupid thing (at least as far as left-handed shooters are concerned) is that Berettas distributed in Europe come with neutral cast stocks. The all cast off stock inventory in the US is a Beretta USA decision.

Once I discovered that, I decided to give my business to companies that wanted it more than Beretta did.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:55 pm 
Field Grade

Good point! I really, really tried to give the others a fair consideration, but time and time again, the folks I talked with on this forum and at Guerini USA (hello Victoria!) sure make a strong point for buying one of their guns.

O.K. I am sold on the CG's for lefties. Now I just need to find the gun and the price!

Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Location: Tom Green, Runnels, Coke and other counties out here
pchelandenny,

Here is the way to get a LH gun from Beretta USA.

Contact Indiana Gun Club and ask for either Steve or Philip. Tell them you would like a 68x Silver Pigeon LH. Ask them to contact Beretta to find out if they (Beretta) has a LH stock in inventory. If they do, have them order it.

With no upgrade on the wood quality, Beretta will swap the stock on the gun before it's been shipped. Once it's swapped, they will ship it to Indiana Gun Club and you can have it sent to whatever dealer you wish to take delivery from. (IGC will walk you through what is needed to work this out).

You will pay for the shipping (most likely) from IGC to your dealer, The cost of the transfer at your dealer and about $150 or so for the stock swap. This last number may be more or less but was what was paid about 2 years ago.

I stated Indiana Gun Club because I've seen them do it countless times for customers. You can get a local full-line Beretta dealer to do it, but most don't have any idea how it's done.

If BUSA (Beretta USA) does NOT have a LH stock in inventory, you'll be forced to either wait, find one on Gun Broker etc or buy the Guerini. Your choice. Both are good guns, so I don't have a fear that you'll get a lemon from either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:08 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you everyone for the great advice! This has been so helpful.

I have some options, so whichever way I decide to go, I will post to the forum what I ended up with.

I am excited, as I am sure my wife is.... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:54 pm 
Limited Edition

I think that Joel Etchen Guns has some left handed 68X wood on hand in various grades.

Check it out.

http://www.joeletchenguns.com/

Jim

Post subject: Re: re: Left handed Beretta
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

myles wrote:
The truly stupid thing (at least as far as left-handed shooters are concerned) is that Berettas distributed in Europe come with neutral cast stocks. The all cast off stock inventory in the US is a Beretta USA decision.

Once I discovered that, I decided to give my business to companies that wanted it more than Beretta did.

There is a reason for that.

Most Europeans are aware that a stock needs to be fitted to its user just the way a new suit does, so as soon as they buy a gun they get it altered to fit.

Americans will get a suit altered, but for some reason they think a gunstock should fit right off the rack (wrong!). So, Beretta USA has to put a little cast in the stocks to come closer to fitting the average shooter.