CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 ga Red dot load data
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:13 am 
Field Grade

Does any one here have load data for 28 ga AAHS hulls using Red dot that they would like to share?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 28 ga Red dot load data
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:35 am 
Diamond Grade

rr2030 wrote:
Does any one here have load data for 28 ga AAHS hulls using Red dot that they would like to share?

Thanks

Call Alliant, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

~Michael

Post subject: re: 28 ga Red dot load data
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:39 am 
Crown Grade

Red Dot powder is absolutely, totally unsuitable for 28 gauge loads..... even 5/8 oz loads. The burn rate is far too fast.

If you're loading for the 28, a powder like Universal Clays is the fastest you should consider. Longshot and Herco are very popular.

Alliant also has recently introduced a powder for the 20 & 28 gauge.... in a fit of marketing genius, they called it 20/28 or something like that. I've not tried it, but if you're going to need a new powder, it's worth considering.

Post subject: Re: re: 28 ga Red dot load data
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:58 am 
Diamond Grade

wwb wrote:
Red Dot powder is absolutely, totally unsuitable for 28 gauge loads..... even 5/8 oz loads. The burn rate is far too fast.

Could have used your voice of reason in Case's thread about Promo 28 ga. loads. :D

~Michael

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:10 am 
Crown Grade

Slick13 wrote:

Could have used your voice of reason in Case's thread about Promo 28 ga. loads.

~Michael

That load was too close to the edge for all but the most experienced and careful handloaders. No room for error.... and that's a bad place to be; especially for somebody starting out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Slick13 wrote:
wwb wrote:

Could have used your voice of reason in Case's thread about Promo 28 ga. loads.

Neither of you knows any more about the pressures Promo and Red Dot develop in a 28-gauge with 5/8 oz. of shot than I do.

And not only did I never recommend it to beginning reloaders — I never recommended it to anyone.

I merely presented chronograph results of the load, and said someone's been using it about three years.

Therefore, both he and I at least know that much more about the load than either of you.

When I have the load tested, we'll end this speculative nonsense once and for all and determine if your paranoia is justified.

I've already proven with Promo in the 20 gauge that faster powders can be used in lesser-volume hulls with reduced payloads, and we'll see if that holds true for the 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:37 pm 
Field Grade

I am using 13 grains of Unique in the Win AAHS with the red claybuster wad for the HS shells.
I don't know if this is the best load for 28ga or not but it works for me for now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

GOOD RESPONSE, Case!

I'm glad that you are here to keep the rest of us honest.
Sincere Thanks!

BobK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:45 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks guys, thats what I thought. I accidentally picked up a LB of red dot instead of green dot and was hoping to salvage the situation. I will pick up some green dot today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

Case wrote:
And not only did I never recommend it to beginning reloaders — I never recommended it to anyone.

And as a fairly well respected member of this forum you don't have to recommend it. The simple fact you are the person presenting it will encourage people to experiment with it. IMO, that's a bad situation.

~Michael

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Slick13 wrote:
Case wrote:

And as a fairly well respected member of this forum you don't have to recommend it. The simple fact you are the person presenting it will encourage people to experiment with it. IMO, that's a bad situation.

That's another rank assumption.

If I'm all that well respected (itself questionable), then I'd assume anyone would have sense enough to heed the disclaimer included in that topic.

What part of "You're on your own with this one" is difficult to understand?

I also make assumptions occasionaly, one of which is that we're not dealing with complete morons here.

And anyone who is will likely find some way to blow himself up without any help or encouragement from me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:49 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Gee-willikers Henry, now you're going to have to start charging for your advise, now that you got all the good press and all. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rr2030, First thing is to measure your 28 ga AAHS hulls. There are long ones and short ones. The short ones were the first run of HS hulls and the long ones are the later runs. Alliant Unique and Hodgdon Universal Clays are very popular powders in the 28 probably because they work well with 20 ga also. However, if you have the short hulls Universal Clays and Unique are not good choices for 28 ga 3/4 oz loads as the powder is too bulky and all of the components won't fit into the hull. With the long hulls using these powders isn't a problem. For the short hulls and 3/4 oz loads Alliant 20/28 and Hodgdon Longshot seem to be the powders of choice. I am having good results with short AAHS hulls, Longshot powder, and 3/4 oz loads. I'll be trying some 20/28 in a few weeks just to see how it works for me. Therefore powder choices stack up something like this for the AAHS hulls

Short Hulls 3/4 oz load
Alliant 20/28
Hodgdon Longshot

Long Hulls 3/4 oz loads
Alliant 20/28
Hodgdon Longshot
Alliant Unique
Hodgdon Universal Clays
...and a few others that I haven't mentioned

Short or Long Hulls 5/8 oz loads
Alliant 20/28
Hodgdon Longshot
Alliant Unique
Hodgdon Universal Clays
...and a few others that I haven't mentioned

The measured length of the short and long hulls escapes me right now. However, a search in this forum will turn up the lengths.

I don't believe that Green Dot or Red Dot will work well as they will be quite bulky and you will probably have problems with crimps. Not to mention they are pretty fast burning powders and will likely send chamber pressures very high.

Case ol' buddy you are indeed a very respected member here and your wildcat loads are something the rest of us had the knowledge, experience, and guts to try. However, Not Once Have I Known You To NOT Report Exactly What You Experienced And The Dangers Of Using What You Report. Furthermore I have always known you to point out anything us less experienced handloaders should look for and maybe not try. Stay after those wildcats. I haven't known any of them you came up with to not work.

Dan

Only The Brave Are Free...Fortune Favors The Bold

DCCBMB

Last edited by DanAKAL on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:14 pm 

The short 28 AA-HS hulls generally scale out at 2 5/8(2.625")" - 2 11/16" (2.687") long. I just set up a small square at that size and anything longer goes into the long pile. 2028 works great, and Longshot fits even better, tried and tested!

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:06 pm 
Field Grade

I think these hulls will be the later production longer cases. I ordered a case last month from our club purchaser, so I will assume they are long. A few of the members are using 11.6 grains of Green dot with claybuster wads 5/8 oz of shot. They say I may need to go up a bushing to cycle my 1100. Prior to loading I will throughly research and obtain good safe data. I was just trying to salvage the Red dot, now I will just use it on something else or sell it.

Thanks again for the input.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Use the Red Dot in a 12 or 20 ga. load. If, you shoot 12 or 20's.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:24 pm 

rr2030 wrote:
Prior to loading I will throughly research and obtain good safe data.

Always the best and most prudent practice. :)