CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crescent Davis Firearms
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:26 pm 
Utility Grade

How to find out how old and what the worth is or any info. regarding sxs 16 ga. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: Crescent Davis Firearms
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:57 pm 
Crown Grade

SxS MODEL <br>- values below assume standard models with double triggers, extractors, original finish, and 100% working order. Sidelock actions were also available and will command premiums from prices listed below. Shotguns with exposed hammers can equal their hammerless counterparts if condition is 80% or better. <br>Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60% <br>16 ga. $195 $175 $150 $125 $100 $85 $65 <br><br>Sounds like there are only three chances for it to be a Crescent-Davis . From the bluebook: In 1929, N.R. Davis Firearms Co., then owned by Warner Arms Corp., merged with Cresent to become Crescent-Davis Arms Co. Because of financial crisis, business continued to decline, and they were forced to sell out. Savage Arms Co. acquired Davis-Cresent in 1931, assembled guns from the remaining parts, and these guns were sold under the Crescent name only. In 1932, the city of Norwich, CT, took over the Crescent property for non-payment of back taxes. After the Norwich facility was closed, manufacture was moved to Chicopee Falls. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I am trying to establish the value, if any, of a gun givin to my son by his greatgrandfather. It was made by the Cresent firearms co. serial #248752. It is in very poor shape and needs a new stock. I don't want to spend a lot of money restoring it if its not worth much, any info you could give me would be helpful. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Dollydog, if its a double barrel the above values apply if it's a single barrel it breaks down from around $125 for mint to $35 for poor. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:38 am 
Utility Grade

If anyone out there knows more about the value of a crescent arms 410 pistol please contact me at luvnlife51966@aol.com.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

luvnlife51966 wrote:
If anyone out there knows more about the value of a crescent arms 410 pistol please contact me at luvnlife51966@aol.com.

If you don't have the proper paperwork it's worth $250,000 and 10 years in prison... I'm pretty sure that's an NFA item.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:03 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I disagree with Drsfmd!

I believe that you could get 20 years in federal prison if you don't have the correct paperwork!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:31 am 
Crown Grade

N.R. Davis, one of the first U.S. manufacturers of breechloading double barrel shotguns, was taken over by Warner Arms Corp around WW-I. Warner moved the assets from the original factory in Assonet, Mass. to their plant in Norwich, Conn. in 1919, and became Davis-Warner Arms Corp. They continued to manufacture Davis doubles until about 1926 when they closed the plant and tried their hand at importing guns from Belgium. In early 1930 Davis-Warner was purchased by J. Stevens Arms Company (owned and operated by Savage Arms Corp.). A Stevens memo dated May 23, 1930, announced the acquisition and the intent to resume manufacture of the Davis doubles. Another Stevens memo dated December 15, 1930 announced the purchase from H&D Folsom Arms Company of the assets of Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, Connecticut. The memo went on to say that the assets of Crescent would be merged with those of Davis-Warner Arms Corporation and that the newly formed firm would be known as The Crescent-Davis Arms Corporation, Norwich, Conn. Crescent-Davis would be operated as a competitor of J. Stevens. The new firm was no more successful then its predecessors. On November 4, 1935, an order of dissolution was filed with the New York Secretary of State. So, after that the remains must have been moved to Chicopee Falls and assembled and sold off under various names. Crescent-Davis and Springfield guns shown in the 1938 to 1941 Stevens paper I have all appear to be variations on the 311. The Springfield 311 had a casehardened receiver while the Crescent-Davis 600 and 900 had blued receivers.

From another source, the late Joe Vorisek's Shotgun Research Newsletter I find this -- Davis-Warner Arms Corp. was formed in January 4, 1917, by combining the old N.R. Davis of Assonet, MA, and the Warner Arms Corp. of Norwich, Conn. There is some evidence that the Assonet factory remained in use until possibly as late as 1925, and after that they assembled Davis parts from Assonet at the Warner factory in Norwich. They also had premisis in Brooklyn, NY, and offices in Manhatten. There is some evidence that the letter prefix of the serial numbers indicates year of production of Davis shotguns at the Warner pistol factory from A=1924, B=1925, C-1926, to G=1930.

My 1926 E.K. Tryon catalogue showed four Davis hammerless doubles -- the Premier Grade with fine decarbonized steel barrels in 12-, 16-, or 20-gauge for $30. The Maximin Grade had 24-inch barrels in 12-gauge, 22-inch barrels in 16-gauge or 20-inch barrels in 20-gauge, with "a special choke to get maximum results from a short light gun" was also $30. The Hy-Power Grade was a 30- or 32-inch barrel 12-gauge for 3-inch shells for $35. The Ajax Grade was the same as the Premier but with a plain wood half-pistol grip stock not so finely finished for $25.