CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skb 200e SXS or Browning BSS SXS
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:37 am 
Tournament Grade

Not giving up on finding the right SXS. I'm Looking at a 20ga choked IC/MOD. What gun would you rather own and why? The SKB has a 25in barrel and the Browning has a 26in barrel.

Post subject: re: skb 200e SXS or Browning BSS SXS
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have owned both and I feel that weight is the major difference. The 200e is a much lighter gun. I found that the BSS is a heavy gun for upland hunting.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Look into a Charles Daley (Miroku) only difference between a BSS are double triggers, extractors vs ejectors, and lots of $$!
Typically they are 26 inch barrels for IC/M with 28 inch for M/F.Although, the older SKB's are awful nice especially the engraved silver nitride receivers. Weight difference is not that much between the bss. In my neck of the woods prices between the bss and skb are pretty close.
All are nice guns, look into a tighter choked gun if you don't like it open up the chokes.
ace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm with Ace on this one. I prefer the charles daly 500 to the BSS because of the double triggers. Other than that, pick the one that fits you best as both are excellent guns. I'd also suggest keeping your eyes open for an older beretta or antonio zoli sxs. There are also some deals on quality spanish guns from AYA and ugartechea if you know which ones to look for.

Weagle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the input guys. I should add that I shoot lefty so I need a gun that comes with a straight stock…Without cast. I have owned a Ithaca 280 with the English stock and could hardly hit the ground with the gun. I hope it was the English stock that didn’t fit my shooting style not the SXS.

Do you think the 25in barrel is to short for a serious pheasant gun. I like the idea of a 28in barrels opened up to ic/mod if mod/full is to tight. Can Ithaca barrels be opened up? What would that cost?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:14 am 
Crown Grade

I've got a SKB 100 in 20ga with the 25" bbls. It works just fine over dogs. I imagine you might hit a little better with longer shots using the longer bbls, but the shorter gun doesn't give up much ground. Any good shotgun smith can open the chokes for you. Prices vary from $40-60 per bbl. You could also have Briley thin wall chokes installed if you have enough meat in the bbls, but that's a bit more money. Lots of SKBs out there in the used market. Probably the most gun for the money in a SXS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:12 am 
Crown Grade

A couple of inches of barrel isn't going to make any gun any deadlier. REMEMBER - Misses and bad shots ALWAYS occur do to "OPERATOR ERROR"!

BobK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:56 am 
Field Grade

I've had both and the SKB is a nicer gun all around IMHO. It has chrome bores, selective barrels, light, swings easy and are trouble free. If you like the english straight stock the SKB is a way better value than the BSS sporter. The Brownings all have ejectors, SOME have selective triggers and are either 26 or 28 inch barrels in the 20 gauge. The SKB 100 and 150 have extractors, the 200 and up have ejectors. The Browning has enough meat on the barrels to have thin wall chokes installed, The SKB's are too thin. Newer SKB models have choke tubes in them, New Model 200 and the 385-485 series. Most of the fixed choke guns are 25"-26" barrel IC/M. the 27"-28" barrels are M/F. SKB has no cast on the stock and I think the Browning has a little. Also try the "new" CZ-USA guns and the Charles Daly 306 series, both great guns for the price.

YooperJ
www.yooperj.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:30 am 
Presentation Grade

i won both guns in 20ga 28 in barrels

infact my 280E skb came from yooperJ

love the gun can carry all day light, smooth to point shoots nice

the browning is heavier and clunky (IMHO) like a 2x4

i have a bss 12 ga 30" never gets shot it is likr swinging a tree trunk but worse

there are a ton of 25" skbs all over you should be abele to find

jd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

What i'm finding is all the skb's IC/Mod are all 25in barrels. I haven't seen a 26in barrel yet. All 28in barrels are MOD/FULL and less money.

I was told if a gun smith opens up a chrome lined barrel some how the inside of the barrel gets damaged...Is that true?

I'm thinking of hard about a 28in barrel and opening up the chokes. Would it be safe to shoot steel through a skb once the chokes have been opened.

Last edited by dedbrd on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

i personally would not own a 25" barrel in a sxs maybe a semi but thats me

i like the resale of a 28" more seem to want them

you could open the chokes up i doubt it would hurt

im thinking of putting brileys in my 200e (bought for dad but i may use it for clays

the 280e (straight stock im leaving as is)

Post subject: Re: skb 200e SXS or Browning BSS SXS
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:40 pm 
DFW Dominant Predator

dedbrd wrote:
Not giving up on finding the right SXS. I'm Looking at a 20ga choked IC/MOD. What gun would you rather own and why? The SKB has a 25in barrel and the Browning has a 26in barrel.

Used Browning BSS:
http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/search-results.htm?type=USED&qmfd=15&qcat=0&qmod=

http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/image_gallery.htm?skuid=1473