CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing/fitting a DMW EZ loader gate on an 1100?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please be patient with me. I didn't exactly see a sub forum here to post an intro. If there is one, please let me know.

I have two 1100's that I would like to outfit with Dave's Metal Works Easy Loader Gates.

This will be for 3 gun competitions.

I have checked on the Brian Enos forums, and it seems like there is a little bit of magic or Black Art associated with fitting one and getting an 1100 to run right once it's installed.

I also have Patrick Sweeney's book on gunsmithing shotguns, and it is just slightly helpful.

Do you guys know of anywhere on the internet where someone has posted an online tutorial on how to install one?

Lots of pictures step by step would be nice.

I have two gates already, and I have read it is better to go with the 3" lifter, so I have two of those on hand.

I also have some new pins just in case too.

Thanks!

PS: I did try various combinations on the search page, but didn't have any luck. If you guys have a thread started here already, would you please post a link.

Post subject: re: Installing/fitting a DMW EZ loader gate on an 1100?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a link for you. I just don't have it until I get home, I'll send it later this afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:51 pm 
Field Grade

If you read everything on BE then you are good to give it a try. The people on BE are the experts when it comes to 3-gun, and how to make a shotgun run. The REALLY important part is to only file off a little at a time. Then reinstall and make shure it will both lock open and close the bolt. There is a magic spot. The problem is that magic spot is different on each gun. Or you could alway do one of two things-

1. Get a Winchester SX2 Practical.

2- Send Benny Hill $1500.00 and have him fix up a Benelli for you. :D :D :D

After having run a Remington 1100 in 3-gun I can tell you that it has a nasty habit of braking part at the most inoppertune time.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here you will find the disassembly information.

http://books.google.com/books?id=t5TKeL ... #PPA121,M1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

3-GUN :?:

Post subject: Re: re: Installing/fitting a DMW EZ loader gate on an 1100?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:44 pm 
Field Grade

ClayCrazy wrote:
3-GUN :?:

A shooting sport that requires the use of 3 guns, Rifle, Pistol and shotgun in timed courses of fire. On some courses you will use all 3 guns and on some you will use only one. It is really the sport that cowboy action came from. I shoot an AR-15, a SVI 1911 pistol and a Browning Gold shotgun. It requires that you be skilled in shooting the pistol fast and accuratlly. shots with the rifle out to 350-400yds or as close as 1 yd. And the shotgun is really 2 guns IMHO, you will shoot steel targets that fall with birdshot or clays that fly, you will also have to make 100 yd shotgun slug shots. It is alot of fun to shoot.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:12 am 
Presentation Grade

Definitely sounds interesting...thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

(WARNING: long post ahead)

Like I said in my first post up top, I have two 1100's.

I bought a Tactical model last year, brand new.

Then I went to a gunshow like a month or two later and saw a very used 1100.

I think it was originally priced at $250.

I picked it up. Started fiddling with. I guess it looked like I knew what I was doing and the guy came over and said, "I could let that go for $200."

I said, "Deal!"

I ran a few shells through it last year. It wasn't running like a sewing machine just yet.

IIRC, it wouldn't eject an empty shell all the way out of the chamber. It would stove pipe.

So I put that on the back burner for a while. The Tactical I have is or was running fine anyway, it just needed a DMW EZ loader gate.

This past Friday, I got the gumption to start tinkering with the 200 dollar 1100.

I have some snap caps, and I cycled those by hand through the gun.

The "empty" snap cap would come flying out of the gun just fine, it's just that the fresh snap cap would come flying out of the mag tube, but the lifter would NOT throw it up so the bolt would come forward to chamber it.

I figured since I had it apart, I might as well try installing the DMW EZ loader gate.

That took several tries to get it just right.

I didn't actually take a file to anything. I gingerly used a dremel with a cone shaped stone to remove some excess meat off the lifter.

While I was tinkering with the 1100's, I was comparing the two trigger groups.

I think the 200 dollar 1100's trigger group has a bad Carrier latch. Part # 28, I think, in the onlie schematic / exploded parts diagram.

On the Tactical model, the Carrier Latch, will swing in an arc to a point, and then it clicks and kinda locks in an upright position.

The $200 1100's Carrier Latch doesn't click in like the Tactical model's does.

The other thing I noticed was that the Tactical model only has two parts on the upper mag tube. I think it is just the Piston and the O-ring.

The $200 1100 has all three, the Piston, the Piston Seal, and then the O-ring.

These guns are both in 12 gauge.

Anyway... I I ran both birdshot and reduced recoil slugs through both guns yesterday.

The Tactical ran flawlessly.

The $200 1100 worked just fine EXCEPT it would not lock back after the last round was fired (no LRBHO).

I'm thinking it's the carrier latch.

What do you guys think?

@1911Gunguy, yes, after seeing all the small and fragile looking parts on/in the 1100, I think I can see why the Benelli is the gun for 3 gun competitions.

I always like having a back up gun for these competitions, just in case the main gun craps out, so that's why I bought two 1100's.

I just need another AR, and two Limited pistolas and then I'd really be in business then.

(slight thread drift ahead)

If you want to see what an action pistol match looks like go here:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=p ... itesearch=

(drift off)

Again, thanks for the replies and my apologies for the long-ish post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

I did some more research on the the Brian Enos forums.

I think I need to do some filing on the "wedge" of the EZ loader.

The inertia of the gun firing /cycling causes that little wedge to hit the carrier latch, part #28 in the exploded parts diagram.

Well, at least that's what I think it is.... :shock: