CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Auto 5 and "Speed loading system"
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:17 pm 
I've read about Browning's "Speed loading system" in the Auto-5's owner's manual, but my Auto-5 doesn't seem to do this. It looks like the difference is in the part that guides the shell up to the breech(I hope that's what's it called). In the latest manual it looks like it is a two-pieced part, but in mine (sn 297100, 1950) it is a single part. I've tried to find information on the web and on Browning's website, but have come up with nothing. Any comments or help on the issue would be great.

Boo

Post subject: Re: Browning Auto 5 and "Speed loading system"
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:32 pm 
Crown Grade

From my understanding...

This only works on a locked open bolt situation, and only with later model auto-5's...

Prior to this (and IMHO far superior) is the original design which allows you to toss a shell in the opening where the bolt is locked back (like in after firing all the shells in the chamber and mag, or by activating the 'magazine cutoff' and ejecting the shell in the chamber by hand)...Hit the bolt release and the shell is lifted and chambered into live battery...Either fire the shell or add more to the mag...

Like I said...I f I understand the way the later models of the A5 work, you need to insert a shell in the mag opening below the open bolt (as in from the bottom where you normally insert sheels to the mag) and then get your fingers out of the way as fast as possible as the shell will be 'automatically' shoved rearward/lifted/chamered and brought to battery whether you want it there or not...All accomplishable (is that a word?) without the safety engaged...

I much prefer the original 'shell cutoff' and single loading by hand and when I want the bolt to close...

All IMHO, of course...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:04 pm 
Crown Grade

I used to know when Auto 5's were fitted with the speed load feature but have forgotten :oops:

I have one that was made in 1963 and it has this feature, if I had to guess, I would say they came out in the late 1950's.

Salmoneye

I may not have the correct understanding of what you are describing but on my Auto 5 with the speed load feature I can, with the bolt locked open; either toss a round in the ejector port and hit the bolt release to chamber it or use the speed load.

On an A5 with the speed load you are not just limited to using the speed load, you can load them either way.

In fact I inherited mine from my Dad, oddly enough he never used the speed load feature and always loaded the 1st one in the ejector port; just a personal quirk that I cannot explain.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:05 pm 
Thanks for the reply. I haven't really developed any technique yet for this loading the mag after empty. My other shotgun (and just as favored) is my Browning BPS--I'm not used to pressing buttons more than once to load shells into the mag as well as into the receiver.

What I did today is load a round into the receiver, press the button. Adjust the gun in my hands to be able to load the mag, pressed the button and loaded the mag. If you know of a quicker method please let me know.

I have a feeling that I will really enjoy this shotgun as I become more familiar w/ it.

Thanks again,
Boo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:30 pm 
Crown Grade

boo wrote:
I'm not used to pressing buttons more than once to load shells into the mag as well as into the receiver.

Just don't let it "bite" you.

I did that once, about 30 years ago, never let it happen again.

It doesn't hurt for the 1st 5 seconds, because it goes numb, then that wears off and well :shock: :x :x :( :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:39 pm 
Thanks for the heads-up!

Boo