CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perazzi for Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:28 pm 
Field Grade

Okay, I am taking a chance this has been covered and I've missed it I am interested in purchasing a Perazzi shotgun, but don't understand their model numbering system.

I've tried to do some internet searches to find out what models are the "standard" for Sporting Clays. I am a little confused on what I've found so far. Apparently there are a number of MX models, choices between removalble triggers or fixed, selectors or no selectors, etc. What is the difference between a Mirage and a MX, an MX8 and MX2000, etc.

I am interested in a basic Perazzi Sporting Clays gun with 32 inch, non-ported, barrels with screw-in chokes, and a barrel selector. What model(s) should I be looking at?

Also, are there any stocking dealers in the US with a good selection?

Post subject: re: Perazzi for Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:20 pm 
Limited Edition

MX-8 and MX-2000 are the most popular for Sporting Clays.
There's no significant difference between them.
The MX-2000 has better wood than the MX-8, but I don't think there's any mechanical diference.
They come with removable trigger groups, or not.
Removable trigger groups use V springs, and the non removable use coil springs. Either one can be selective.
Some claim that triggers with V's "feel" better than coils.
I have used both and could not point one has being better than the other.
When a V spring breaks, you remove the trigger and replace the spring, which is an easy procedure. Extra springs are provided with your new gun
When a coil spring breaks, usually the guns keeps working, but replacing it it's a gunsmithers job.
I can't recommend any dealer in the US, but I know a lot of people in the US get their Perazzi's in the UK in Litt's.

Best
HM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:34 pm 
Field Grade

HM, thanks for the quick reply. The V spring vs. the coil spring triggers is something I didn't know. I will do a web search on Litt's and see what I can find.

Regards, Will

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:49 am 
Tournament Grade

MX 12 is the most popular for sporting clays in the u.k.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:09 am 
Crown Grade

MX 8 and MX 2000....have flat (leaf) springs....but can be special ordered w/ coil springs....w/ drop out triggers, selectable or not....selector down by trigger.

MX 12 and MX 2000s are coil spring guns w/out the drop-out trigger group.The selector is on the safety similar to a Beretta.

SC1 or Comp 1--built for Materelli for the 64 Tokyo Olympics...he won gold in Trap.

MX 8--built for Materelli for the 68 Olympics in Mexico City(thus MX 8].

MX 2000 --built to be intro'ed for 2000 Oylmpics in Sydney.

Mirage--no longer made but an upgraded version of all of the above.

ALl these guns can be had w/ fixed chokes or factory chokes.

Perazzi makes the following bores....> .724, .729,.735 and .740. All can be had w/ factory cchokes except the .740.

OR you could get a K80.... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Call John Herkowitz at Pacific Sporting Arms....the best Perazzi dealer in the U.S. Web site www.pacificsportingarms.com He will help you and has the best prices...

Post subject: Re: re: Perazzi for Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

sera russell wrote:
OR you could get a K80.... :wink:

LOL... no recruiting to the dark side allowed Sera! :!: :lol:

If you like the feel of a Perazzi... Get fitted and order one with your own dimensions. Best investment you'll ever make. I would recommend the fixed choke barrels and if you don't like that get the thin walled screw-in chokes installed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

I got my MX2000 with screw in factory chokes. Bought a set of Angleport chokes to use as they are a few 100 grains lighter a tube. I have 1.71kg barrels with .735 bores. Most days I say if I were ordering today I would order fixed I/M-L/M. Other days I am glad I got tubes. To me the whole deal of ordering fixed to send to Briley's to save weight is given a lot more credit than it deserves. Then again I like the weight I have in my barrels.