CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Citori, Good Over and Under or Not? Please Help!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:24 am 
Utility Grade

I have been want to buy a new auto for some time now but today I went to a local gun store and saw a Browning Citori, the White Lightning model , so far out of the ouer and unders that I have shouldered I haven`t found one that I was to crazy about or pointed the way I lika a shotgun to point, this was the first Browning O/U I think that I have ever shouldered boy it felt nice and I really liked everthing about it. I`ve never been a real O/U fan but I think I have fell in love with it It was a 12 guage 3 inch chamber with 26 inch barrel. Can you tell me if the Browning Citori, White lightning is a good O/U to buy? Also, where I live you don`t see Browning O/U and I didn`t get to shoulder one with a 28 inch barrel to see how it would point and swing. I am used to shooting a 26 inch barrel on my automatics and I like that length of barrel. What barrel length do you think I would be better off getting, 26 or 28 inch and why? I am not interested in a sporting or trap model, this gun will be used for hunting and skeet shooting. Which model of Citori would you recommend? White Lightning or the Lightning model with the blue receiver? I really liked the satin finish on the stock and forearm on the White Lightning better than the gloss finish on the Lightning. Thanks for your time and help!

Post subject: Re: Browning Citori, Good Over and Under or Not? Please Hel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, the Citori's are very good guns. In fact, I will say great guns. Not much difference between the models except for cosmetics. You will not regret buying the White Lightening. Great gun. If you hunt with it, I think you will like the white lightening better. I have the blued receiver and it wears off pretty quick if you carry the gun with your hand around the receiver.

Barrel length: It just comes down to feel. Once you shoulder the gun and look down it you can't tell which barrel length you are shooting. The automatic has a longer receiver than the O/U, so your 26" auto barrel length will more closely match the overall length of the 28" barrel on the O/U. But weight and balance wise, I think the 26 inch barrels on the O/U will very likely balance the same as your auto, and the 28" barrels will feel muzzle heavy a little. The modern trend is to longer barrels. I shoot a 26" barreled O/U at skeet and hunting and I am perfectly happy with it. But most people buying a new gun get the 28 now.

You are either gonna have to buy the 26" or make the effort to find a 28" to compare it to. North Carolina ain't a 3rd world country exactly, I think you are just gonna have to make the drive.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:09 am 
Diamond Grade

I saw a fellow looking at a used "grade 6" Browning Citori of some type at gunmaster yesterday :)

it think the price was 2700.

He said he just wanted to hold it :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:48 pm 
Limited Edition

I've never shot the Citori, but lots of guys love them, so they must be good. You can get a used Superposed for a little less money. I bought a nice older one for $900, not cheap, but a very nice gun.

I'd suggest that you look around the net for a used Superposed. I've seen what look like nice ones for $1400, if you want a Lightening, that is.

But you can't go wrong with the Citori; I just like older guns, funny that way I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:07 am 
I have two Citori's, a .410 and 20 ga. It's hard to beat the metal to wood and metal to metal fit of a Citori in respect to its price. They are dependable in function, but there has been a notable problem with all four 20 gauge Citori's owned by close friends. All lost a substantial amount of bluing on the receiver, trigger guard and forearm lock within 12 months. As a matter of fact, I contacted Browning within three months of owning the gun and informed them we were going to have a problem. I contacted them again 4 months later and updated them on the progress of my quickly silvering receiver. I contacted them a third time approx. a year and a half after having the gun and told them enough was enough. There is no bluing on the trigger guard and forearm lock and the bottom of the receiver is almost the same. Together with the friends I speak of, we own a total of 12 Browning O/U's. The 20's are by far the worst. Some guns show no ware at all, including my .410 (which I have used heavily for three years). I have had no problems with any other make of gun I own. Even though I recorded the date, time and name of the person I called each time I contacted them about the problem, Browning refused to stand behind the gun. They said it was my fault, somehow. One receptionist said I could "have sneezed on the gun." They wanted to charge me $234.00 to have it reblued. I'm getting ticked just typing about it. So, if you buy one, get a silver receiver. I'll use the ones I have, probably until I die, but I won't ever buy another Browning product. Guns costing $1200 shouldn't look like your grand pappy's gun in three months. Oh yeah, during a wet days duck hunt or snowy grouse hunt, I can actually watch the gun rust in my hands. It's that bad. Cheap japanese. metal is what I have been told. I don't know. If you’re interested, I'll take pictures of before, during and after the hunt, you won't believe it! Let me know, I'll send them e-mail. I'm a clean freak too. I'll clean the gun before I clean the game when I get home from a hunt. I have too. Good fit, tight machining, nice looking and feeling, but don't expect much from customer service and the warranty. Chow!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

wow winders hasnt commented on this yet? :shock: well i think the citori is an excellent o/u imo there are better ones out there but if this gun fits u the best out of all the o/u's then i think u should go for it btw id go w/ a o/u over a auto. u dont hafta worry about it cycling light target loads :wink: i love my o/u's and wouldnt ever trade them for any auto even a benelli.

Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:19 pm 
Limited Edition

When I was younger, and I couldn't afford a Browning O/U, I bought two japanese Miruko Charles Dalys; one on 20 gauge (a ventura) and a 12 (Diamond Grade). Been shooting the guns for years with never a wrinkle. I understand the hammer springs wear out, and I saw them for sale in the latest Brownell's cataloge, but mine are still working.

Anyway, those japanese Miruko's are lots cheaper than Brownings. The finish has been holding up too. But the stock did crack on my Ventura. Had to have it glued back together. Can't find a replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

WHAT THE F*#@! this post might as well have a neon sign on it flashing "winders please post here!" is he sick or something?! this is just too odd i feel like im in the twilight zone maybe i should just go to bed and hope i wake back up in the real world where everything makes sense again :D

Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

SCOTT - I SAID SCOTT where are you?
You need to post a reply soon oh Browning man!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:12 am 
Field Grade

love my 525 field more than my wife (hope no one here tells her i said that). anyhow, it is a much bigger gun than other o/u's i shouldered up. that being said if it "fits" you (and you WILL know) buy it now!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:11 pm 
Limited Edition

rwk wrote:
love my 525 field more than my wife (hope no one here tells her i said that). anyhow, it is a much bigger gun than other o/u's i shouldered up. that being said if it "fits" you (and you WILL know) buy it now!!

I own a mint 1981 Jeep CJ-5. I bought it new. The other day a guy saw me climbing out of it. He asked if he could buy it.

I told him he could have my wife, but I'm keeping the jeep. He rejected my offer.

I'm glad he did, however; as I kind of like them both.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have owned two Citori's. My opinion is there is not a better O/U shotgun out there in their price range.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

gobblers - yup, its good!! I bought my fourth Citori last week (already had a Miller's B425 12ga, a Superlight 16ga, and an XS Feather 410). I'd been looking for a gun to keep down in Florida (nice skeet and sc range about 10 minutes from my place) that I could use for occasional skeet there. My criteria were simple - 20 gauge, 28 inch barrels, between $1000 and $1200 or there-abouts, used or new. I went through (again) all the things that all the guys on this board go through when dreaming/comtemplating/searching/acquiring a new O/U. I looked at the Weatherby/SKB family, almost went with a new Beretta Blackwing, checked out every used Winchester 101 in the country, even almost jumped ship to go for a 12 gauge from the myriad of new and used available. Ultimately though, I came back to Browning. Now this may have a lot to do with the fact that I grew up on 20 gauge Superposed's, but I got that Citori Lightning 20 in my hands and man, it just felt right!! ....used, NRA 99%, $930 plus tax and background check. It was kismet. I must say, nothing feels sweeter to me than a 20 gauge Browning O/U.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:43 pm 

I shoot sc with a guy all the time, that uses the Citori Hunter. He loves it, I myself havent shot it, but it balances extremely well, swings nicely, and feels solid. It is also a pretty gun. When it is disassembled, it is very easily cleaned, there are no hard to reach places like on my Verona. YES, all, I finally found a negative comment about my baby. Although I dont mind using a q-tip to keep her clean. I would definitly recommend this gun. You wont be sorry you bought one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think someon needs to check on winders to make sure he wasnt kidnapped or something :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Don't do it Winders! Avoid the temptation! :P

Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:21 am 
Utility Grade

i think the citori is the best o/u out there for the price. IM more in to trap shooting so i perfer the citori xt with the 32" barrel i love the feel of it, my dad has the Win diamond grade wich is pretty close to the same but the citori has a smoother recoil. i would say go with the 28" barrel for field shooting and run a full choke for your top barrel and a improved modified on lower.which you probaly already know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:20 am 
Crown Grade

Winders...where are you at buddy? We need some one to champion our cause... someone to stand up to the tyranny of the Ruger clan... someone to dethrown MarkIVbigblock from his perch of supposed RRL superiority.

Anxiously awaiting the B gun's defense...

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Browning Citori, Good Over and Under or Not?

JUNK :!:

Because I am generous, I will take them off your hands at ten cents on the dollar, especially the Lightning field, XT, XS, older Lightning Sporting, older Grade I Trap etc.

It would be a hardship but I would do it for the good of my fellow shooters :wink:

Actually, my long term purchasing plans include several versions of the Citori.

I picked up a 1984 manufacture 32" Invector, Citori Grade I Trap in 95% new condition in 1996 that I am quite fond of :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:04 pm 
Field Grade

Browning is a good gun for the money. Not so sure about the gold auto. Their o/u has been shot by many, many people and they do get the job done. There are better guns out there, but they definitely cost more. The only thing that gets me is that there are too many different citori models. I know it's marketing and they continually bring out a new version just to make the older ones seem obsolete. In this market that's what creates interest and sells.