CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Power Piston Hulls
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:45 pm 
Limited Edition

My first time on the forum, although I have been reading it a lot. I used to shoot/reload a lot, but got away from it when my boys left home. Since I am now retired, I am getting back into it. A lot of things change, but a lot of it is different. I have a little over 100 20 ga Remington Power Pistons (green - that'll tell you how long I've been gone). I believe they load as Remington SP with Plastic Wads. Does anyone know if that is correct? The reason I'm interested is that I would like to use up 1000 CCI 157 primers.

I have a cross section picture, if I can figure out how to insert it.

Post subject: re: Remington Power Piston Hulls
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Remington Power Piston is a wad, not a hull.

The Remington "SP" hull, such as the old All American, is two-piece, its basewad separate from the case tube. It's usually referred to simply as a Remington "plastic hull," if not specifically as the "SP."

All other Remington hulls are one-piece (except for the brass) compression-formed, except for .410, which is still an "SP" two-piece hull. They all load with the same recipes, whether Blue Magic, STS, Sport Load, Game Load, ShurShot, Gun Club, etc.

Identify which hulls you have and use the appropriate recipes, of which there are many for either hull.

Post subject: Re: re: Remington Power Piston Hulls
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

[quote="Case"] The Remington Power Piston is a wad, not a hull. [quote]

Yeah, except I have a Remington shell box that says otherwise. These preceeded the All American hull. These hulls used *57 or *69 primers. The All Americans used *97 (209 sized) primers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Em Are Skeet wrote:
Case wrote:

Yeah, except I have a Remington shell box that says otherwise. These preceeded the All American hull. These hulls used *57 or *69 primers. The All Americans used *97 (209 sized) primers.

Then those antedate the First Edition of Lyman's Shotshell Handbook, and regress into the years when I had much more interest in beer and chasing women than reloading shotshells.

You're obviously older than God, Em — or even BP.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

The bottom illustration on page 42 of 1st Edition Lyman Handbook shows the shell the was called the Power Piston. Lyman calls it the "Old Style" plastic target.

I'll have to dig that box out. I remember the box was yellow, and very prominately displayed the words "Power Piston". Old time Remington folks claim that referred to the wad not the shell. So Remington may have never officially used the word Power Piston for their ammo, but the shooters commonly used that term. I believe their may have been a generation of Remington plastic targets loads without the Powder Piston wads.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yep, that's there.

But you know how silly the name game can get with these ammo makers. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Remington actually did call one of its old shotshells a "Power Piston."

Remington has been greatly enamored of that catchy trademark ever since some ad whiz came up with it.

The bottom line is they're all basically "SP" hulls and reload with those recipes.

Unless, of course, they date back to the days of paper hulls, which might require a different recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Em, you must have a different Lyman's 1st Ed. than I have.

This is what it says in my book, "Remington-Peters "old style" plastic target 12 gauge 2 3/4". Nominal length 2 3/4".
Low brass 2 grooves, ribbed green plastic tube. Brass head. Base wad pictured actual size. Has clear plastic over moulded asbestos-like material. Peters cases in blue."

No mention whatsoever of a Power Piston Hull.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Art Sorrentino wrote:
No mention whatsoever of a Power Piston Hull.

Nor in mine either.

I think Em's recalling the "Power Piston" name from some ancient shotshell box he's seen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:17 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Those old plastic Remington shells were "Express" by trade name. The new Power Piston wad was loaded in them and it was a big deal in their marketing at the time so they splattered it all over the box and shells. I seem to recall actually having shells with the words Power Piston printed on them as well as Express. The shells and hulls per se were not Power Pistons, but the wads were, and I even have a few hundred of those old wads in the 1-1/4 oz size, (like I'm ever going to use them :roll: ). Some of the very first Remington plastic shells were loaded with card and felt even before the Power Pistons came along. I shot a lot of those buggers back in the '60s. Ate pretty well then too! :wink:

BP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:14 am 
Diamond Grade

1965 Gun Digest lists these Remington Target Loads

12 Gauge

Shur Shot - Available with paper or plastic cases; paper cases available with standard or Power Piston Wad, plastic with Power Piston or H wad.

16 and 20 Gauge

Shur Shot - Available with paper or plastic cases; paper cases available with standard wadding, plastic cases with H wad.

28 and 410

Express - Paper cases and standard wadding only.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:33 am 
Diamond Grade

1967 Shooters Bible has this:

"SHUR SHOT" PLASTIC TRAP AND SKEET LOADS
WITH "POWER PISTON" WAD
12 and 20 gauge.

"SHUR SHOT" PLASTIC TRAP AND SKEET LOADS
WITH "H" WAD
12, 16, and 20 gauge.

"SHUR SHOT" PAPER TRAP AND SKEET LOADS
WITH "POWER PISTON" WAD
12 gauge.

REMINGTON "EXPRESS" PLASTIC SKEET LOADS
28 gauge

REMINGTON "EXPRESS" PAPER SKEET LOADS
28 and 410.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:06 am 
Diamond Grade

1971 Gun Digest notes:

RP [Remington-Peters] are all plastic with Power Piston wads, except 10 gauge, 410-3", "scatter loads", and rifled slugs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:20 am 
Diamond Grade

The "Ancient" box has all these words printed on it.

Shur Shot
Skeet Loads
Power Piston

The words Power Piston are very prominent across the front of the box, but it does not specifiy whether it refers to the wads or the shells. Even if Remington intended that to mean the wads, shooters started calling thos shells Power Pistons. This is sort of like when consumers started using the terms "Coke", and "Chevy", and "Blue Magics" before they were recognized and trade-marked by their makers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:12 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Hmmmm?

Where I grew up Remington shells were either Kleanbores or Express, or if they were light loads, Shur Shots. The Power Piston thing never even entered into the discussion. We though it was a newfangled thing that would just fade away into the sunset. Kinda like the Mark-V WW shot wrapper. We bought them and shot them all just the same. Kind of depended on what Hetzie had at the hardware store at the time you wanted shells. :roll: Express, Super-X, Super-Speed, and the ultra high brass purple Imperials were THE shells to shoot when I was a kid. Our old Model 12s, 37s, 11s, A-5s, LCs, and a Fieldmaster or two didn't care a hoot about the wads they were loaded with. We were too busy loading up and shooting Pheasants and ducks to worry about a Power Piston?

BP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Case wrote:

The Remington "SP" hull, such as the old All American, is two-piece, its basewad separate from the case tube. It's usually referred to simply as a Remington "plastic hull," if not specifically as the "SP."

All other Remington hulls are one-piece (except for the brass) compression-formed, except for .410, which is still an "SP" two-piece hull. They all load with the same recipes, whether Blue Magic, STS, Sport Load, Game Load, ShurShot, Gun Club, etc.

Identify which hulls you have and use the appropriate recipes, of which there are many for either hull.

Case,
Just for clarification on my part, are you saying that the SP hulls use the same recipe as other Rem hulls? I haven't been able to find a recipe expressly for the Rem SP in 12 gauge 2 3/4".
Thanks for your time,
Muley.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Muley
NO! He is not saying that the SP two piece hulls load the same as the others, and they do not.

What he is saying is that the Blue Magic, STS, Sport load Game Load, Shur-Shot, Gun Club, Unibody's, RTL's, RXP's, Premier's, etc, all one piece hulls, do in fact all load alike.

DLM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:27 pm 
Limited Edition

The 157 primers wouldn't seat properly. They were too loose. So I guess it all doesn't matter. Thanks for your interest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:43 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

ckmwr777,

Those Remington 57*, and CCI 157 primers were for the Remington-Peters SP Plastic Express cases with the asbestoes like composition base wads. This is the only case that ever used these primers and were discontinued in the early 1980's.

This case was replaced with the Unibody one piece Remington-Peters Express Plastic case, which used the 97* primers, which are the same size as the standard 209 primers.

DLM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

D L Marcum wrote:
Muley
NO! He is not saying that the SP two piece hulls load the same as the others, and they do not.

What he is saying is that the Blue Magic, STS, Sport load Game Load, Shur-Shot, Gun Club, Unibody's, RTL's, RXP's, Premier's, etc, all one piece hulls, do in fact all load alike.

DLM

Hey DLM,
Thanks for the clarification. I kinda thought that was the situation. I would sure be thankful if you could hook me with a recipe for the SP hulls. 12 gauge 1 1/8 shot and whatever else works in 2 3/4 ". By the way these hulls have a separate yellow base wad if that helps.

Thanks for your help,
Muley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:26 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Muley,
I have data going back to the early 70's on about every hull that was in use in the USA, and there is no mention of a Remington case with separate PLASTIC base wad, (I'm assuming they are plastic since you stated they are yellow), in 12 ga. 2-3/4 inch.

They do show some data for 20 ga. such cases and for 12 ga. 3 inch cases, but none in 2-3/4 inch.

Either those cases were a part of a very short run, and not considered as significant to publish data for, or they may be 3 inch shells that have been cut down to 2-3/4 inches.

Either way, they are best thrown away and forgotten.

Sorry. DLM