CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double trigger finger pain
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:13 pm 
Field Grade

I'm new to double triggers and am having an odd problem. My right middle finger gets bruised pretty badly whenever I pull the front trigger of my double. The middle finger is roughly an inch away from the back of the trigger guard and I believe it is hitting the back of the guard from the recoil. I'm wondering if any the shooters on this forum hold the grip of their doubles with their middle finger actually resting on the back of the trigger guard. And if so, if they have run into the same problems. I'm pretty sure that my middle finger is NOT resting on the back of the trigger guard. Am I just making the simple mistake of not gripping my gun tightly enough during the shot? I've never had this problem with non-double triggers. Hoping some old time double guys help a newbie.

Post subject: re: Double trigger finger pain
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

https://secure.netsolhost.com/connectic ... oduct=1162

Take a look at this. I had one gun that did that (poor fit for me anyway) so I got rid of it. This will help however, if you want to keep the gun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Hi Alfisti,

I had the same problem with a very nice old 12 gauge Francotte with extra special wood. It has double triggers with a pistol grip and the trigger guard was quite big. When I was younger my hand could take a rap and not hurt. Now I have a little arthritis and sold that nice old gun because my hand would hurt for days after taking the gun out.

It has a pistol grip that positons your hand differently than a straight grip. I shot a friends AYA with a straight grip, still double triggers, and it didn't hurt me. I took a chance and bought a used V. Berardelli with a straight grip/double triggers and it doesn't hurt me either.

For me the grip makes all the difference.

If you go on Gun Broker and search for SXS you will also notice the trigger guards vary quite a bit in size for the different brands.

If I had only wanted to hunt with the Francotte I could have lived with getting hit but I like to shoot some skeet with my bird gun too.

Ernie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Alfisti
I had this same trouble with my Spartan double. It was my first shotgun and in the hast of my first purchase I didnt consider fit.
After I dealt with broken skin and bruises I added an inch to the 13 1/2 lenrth of pull. Everything was fine after that. Now im considering my options of making a new stock (fun woodworking project) or dovetailing a spacer on or just selling it.I am definately leaning hard in the new stock direction. I also own a couple more shotguns now properly fitted and theres still room in the safe for more.

Try some spacers or a slip on pad in addition to the factory pad. I bet youre situation is also a fit issue.

MWAG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Soft, thick recoil pads, thick padded clothing or any such thing only adds to the problem.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:48 am 
Crown Grade

Jugchoke
Elaborate a little more. My suggestions where basically to try increasing the length of pull. If the lop is the problem then he can consider his options of repair, replacement of stock, Etc. Elaborate on what you think is wrong and some possible fixes... An obvious solution would be to take it somewhere to have some fitting done, but this may not be readily available or problematic depending on local or situation.We also dont know what model it is or anything else.Give up some of that 60+- yrs of totin firearms knowledge.

MWAG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:51 am 
Crown Grade

oops

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:30 am 
Crown Grade

There are available commercially some soft pads and protection to add to the back of the trigger guards to make them more comfortable to shoot. I have heard that they work well, but never tried them personally.

I have seen the question posted here, and the replies listed the web sites for these items, but I'm not sure what subject you would look for in the "search" function.

But here's something to try - my uncle used a piece of tape to connect a small piece of sponge rubber to the back of his trigger guard. Looked like hell, but it worked for him!

BobK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:52 am 
Crown Grade

:D Hi, look at www.connecticutshotgun.com look under item number E0120/E0121 (Trigger Guard Rubber Corners). They cost $19 and I think this is what can help.

If not, try to reduce your loads your using.

Good Luck!

All the best!

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:50 am 
Presentation Grade

It's been gun specific with me. I use to have a BRNO double with a razor thin triggerguard that would slap the stew out of my middle finger. Before I sold it, I would split some plastic tubing lengthwise and wrap it around the rear of the guard.

None of my other doubles have given me that problem.

Post subject: Re: re: Double trigger finger pain
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

monkey with a gun wrote:
Jugchoke
Elaborate a little more. My suggestions where basically to try increasing the length of pull. If the lop is the problem then he can consider his options of repair, replacement of stock, Etc. Elaborate on what you think is wrong and some possible fixes... An obvious solution would be to take it somewhere to have some fitting done, but this may not be readily available or problematic depending on local or situation.We also dont know what model it is or anything else.Give up some of that 60+- yrs of totin firearms knowledge.

MWAG

MWAG, your suggestions were just fine, (I was not picking on you!), fit is very important. Of course the better the fit, the less felt recoil overall. Some trigger guards used to get my second finger quite bad.

Then I figured out that lack of correct fit and thick, soft rubber recoil pads were two of the reasons. Fit is a no brainer, that if it doesn't, something is going to hurt. Accuracy, your cheek, your shoulder, your second finger, even your trigger finger when using the rear trigger, (without a hinged front trigger), when the front trigger hits it in recoil, etc.

Thick recoil pads, let the gun move back more and while reducing the punch to the shoulder, forces the trigger hand to absorb more of it. It seems to me that a thick pad makes a light gun sort of "bounce", (a secondary movement, in the opposite direction), as well, and with the lack of clearance that most double triggers have, for my oversize fingers, the more pain. I like hard butt plates, or very thin rubber pads on my double trigger guns. Yeah, the shoulder takes more abuse, but the trigger hand gets less.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Clyde
I didnt think you where picking on me at all. I just knew you had more to offer giving your lengthy experience.

MWAG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've had the same expirence as the Monkey, my first double trigger gun was a 12 gauge Parker VH with a stright grip and it beat the hell out of my finger when I started out with it. I added a limb-saver 1/2" slip on pad and the problem was solved.

Dan

Post subject: Re: re: Double trigger finger pain
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:45 pm 
Crown Grade

682-SG2 wrote:
I've had the same expirence as the Monkey, my first double trigger gun was a 12 gauge Parker VH with a stright grip and it beat the hell out of my finger when I started out with it. I added a limb-saver 1/2" slip on pad and the problem was solved.

Dan

This is consistent with the idea that the problem might have been improper fit, in this case LOP and possibly drop at heel.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:00 pm 
Field Grade

Gentleman,

Thanks to all for the informative posts. I have ordered a trigger guard pad from Conn. Shotgun (ala Chorizo's always excellent suggestions) and will let everyone know if that does the trick. Again, it is a pleasure to be in the (online)community of such friendly and helpful sportsmen.