CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing plug from Mossberg 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Only 3 shells can be loaded, I know that thats whats needed for hunting but I dont hunt...can it be put back in also?

THX
Dan

Post subject: Re: Removing plug from Mossberg 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:12 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm not sure if all Mossberg 500s are the same. The plug on mine is quite simple, funny... actually it's simply funny. Ok jokes aside. The plug on mine is literally a wooden dowel with 2 O-rings on it. To remove it, take the barrel off the gun. Then hold the gun vertically with the butt on the top. Look at end of the magazine tube and you should see the plug start coming out. Pull it out and you've increased the capacity of the gun. Mind you, this may not be legal in your state.

David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

If your state has a law limiting magazine capacity for shotguns to a certain number, then simply having a plug in a magazine that's over the limit won't make the gun legal, since it's not a permanent modification. So if the gun was legal in the first place, taking out the plug won't make the gun illegal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:53 am 
Limited Edition

Arkalius,

Here in NJ, I believe it is illegal to put more than 3 rounds in a shotgun. By pulling out the plug, that makes it illegal.

David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Usually, the plug makes it legal to hunt with the shotgun (waterfowl, etc.). Taking the plug out means that if you're out in a duck blind with five shells in the magazine, you're liable for a game laws citation. Legal to own is a different issue. :D

It looks from the NRA-ILA link that you can't have a "semi-automatic shotgun with a magazine capacity of more than six rounds."

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=NJ

Also, to answer the original question, plugs can be put back in. Most manufacturers will send you a new one free or for a nominal cost.

Jeff23
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
National Rifle Association

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:22 pm 
Are u from dayton ohio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:59 pm 
Would there be any models that have a 'permanent' plug?

I live in California so that may be an issue...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:59 am 
Tournament Grade

In California you're fine up to 10 rounds, so don't worry about it. The primary purpose of the plug is to comply with game regulations that require your gun be able to hold no more than 3 rounds. When I said that the gun is legal, I mean to own. Taking out the plug will make hunting certain game with it illegal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sorry to go off topic, but can someone please tell me the length and diameter of the dowel rod used to plug the magazine on the 500? My puppy chewed mine up the first day I owned my gun and I have not replaced it yet.

Thanks,
Andrew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:38 pm 
Field Grade

I would be interested in the specs for the plug as well. My buddy has a Mossy 500 with no plug, and he swears that the way it breaks down, you cannot just put a dowel behind the mag spring to plug it! Would like to prove him wrong, so he can actually hunt with his gun! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:03 pm 
u can use a #2 pencil for plug in mossy- its all i use and its cheap