CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 Wingmaster Super Mag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:52 am 
Utility Grade

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what I can expect to pay for a brand new 12ga. Remington Wingmaster 870 in Super Magnum (3 1/2 inch chamber)? I am new to the world of shotguns, but I would like to get one of these for hunting and trap shooting. My local store has one, but I want to get some advice on what I should be expecting to pay to make sure the store isn't overpriced. A lot of people around here say this specific store is way over priced, so I am wanting to make sure I shouldn't shop around. The gun is a Wingmaster and not an Express. It has the real fancy wood and shiny bluing. Very pretty gun.

Post subject: re: Remington 870 Wingmaster Super Mag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:15 am 
Diamond Grade

Hey Brockgl - funny you should ask. I just got one myself, but I think it was a fluke. I went to my local mom and pop store to look at the regular Wingmasters and I was handed one with scroll engraving on the receiver and very nice wood. I immediately realoized that this was not anytihng like I had seen on the Remington website. I then noticed on the barrel that the gun accepted 3.5" shells--definitely not something I had seen on the website. As the owner had told me on the phone that he was selling Wingmasters for $599.00, he charged me $599.00. I then got home seeking to solve the mystery of this Wingmaster, and found that they only made 3.5" Wingmasters with the scroll engraving in the year 2000. Thereafter, they made 3.5" Wingmasters, plain, until about 2004 or 2005. If the one you are looking at has no engraving, then it was made anywhere between 2000 and 2005. If it has the engraving, then it was made in 2000. In either case, I have also come to learn that these guns are relatively rare, especially the engraved ones. I think the owner of the gun shop didn't know any better. It was a lucky and wonderful find. I understand that there is one or two of the engraved 3.5" Wingmasters on GunsAmerica, used, going for around $1,200.00.

Beretta SP II; Beretta Teknys Gold; Beretta Ultralight Deluxe; Franchi Diamond; Franchi I-12; Remington Automaster; Remington Wingmaster; DeHaan S2; CZ Bobwhite; Stoeger Coachgun Supreme; Fausti Style; Springfield Loaded 1911; Ruger RedHawk; Marlin 990

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:40 am 
Utility Grade

This one DOES have the engraving! However, I called Remington with the serial number and they said this one was made in 1999. It reads 'Remington' on one side of the scrollwork, and 'Wingmaster' on the other side. It also says, 'Super Mag' on the side, and it does indeed accept 5.3inch shells. Could the scrolled ones have been made in 1999 as well as 2000? Here is a picture of it, because I just bought it. (Pictures taken with my cell phone) I paid $685 for it, not quite as good of deal that you got. However, I am still not dissapointed with the price.

http://www.brockglaze.net/images/shotgun/gun1.jpg
http://www.brockglaze.net/images/shotgun/gun2.jpg
http://www.brockglaze.net/images/shotgun/gun3.jpg
http://www.brockglaze.net/images/shotgun/gun4.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:54 am 
Diamond Grade

Brockgl - It looks exactly like mine. I haven't shot mine yet, but am hoping to do so this weekend. Although you paid a little more than me, I think we both got excellent deals. This is a rare gun and a real piece of Remington history

Beretta SP II; Beretta Teknys Gold; Beretta Ultralight Deluxe; Franchi Diamond; Franchi I-12; Remington Automaster; Remington Wingmaster; DeHaan S2; CZ Bobwhite; Stoeger Coachgun Supreme; Fausti Style; Springfield Loaded 1911; Ruger RedHawk; Marlin 990

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:56 am 
Utility Grade

Well, I definitely love it. I am taking it out tonight to try my hand at some trap shooting. I just got back inside from running some test rounds through it and it cycles as smooth as silk. I love it! Can't wait to take it hunting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am a tireless advocate of the regular three inch chambered 870 for beginning shooters (in fact, for anybody). I'm all for Wingmasters, but most folks won't pay double for the higher grade gun. I've owned quite a few 870's myself, and loved them. But,,,,,

I have about five friends who are in the business of selling brand new guns on a daily basis, to the public. They are unanimous in their opinions on this issue, and they are:

1. The only trouble with a regular three inch chambered 870 is that Wal Mart sells them cheaper than they can. It's a wonderful gun.

2. That the three and a half inch Super Mag models give trouble. They come back quickly, if the owner is shooting the long boomer three and half inch mags. They don't recommend them.

3. The lowly Mossberg 835 (or whatever number it is that shoots three and a half inch shells) gives no trouble. They work and don't come back.

I am only reporting this. I had a Benelli Nova once, for about two weeks, that shot the extra long shells, and otherwise I've no exerience with them.

I'd buy the three inch 870. I think it's a superior gun to the Mossy 500 for general use. However, if you simply must shoot the long boomer three and half inch shells, then a Mossy or a Nova would be the cheaper way to shoot them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:38 am 
Diamond Grade

brockgl - check out this thread that I started last week on this very same topic in the Remington forum:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 4fdcce56c9

Post subject: Re: re: Remington 870 Wingmaster Super Mag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:14 am 
Utility Grade

Quote:
2. That the three and a half inch Super Mag models give trouble. They come back quickly, if the owner is shooting the long boomer three and half inch mags. They don't recommend them.

What kind of trouble exactly? I bought the super mag simply for the ability to shoot 3.5's if I ever go Duck hunting. However, I will mainly be shooting 2 3/4 shells from it for trap shooting. It seems like a super solid gun, I can't imagine what kind of trouble it could have. I have heard nothing but good things about this model 870. I would love to know what kind of trouble you have heard of them having though, that way I can be prepared.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:32 am 
Diamond Grade

brockgl wrote:
Quote:
I bought the super mag simply for the ability to shoot 3.5's if I ever go Duck hunting. However, I will mainly be shooting 2 3/4 shells from it for trap shooting.

Very nice gun .

MSRP on a new plain jane WM is $773.00...I like yours better.

It should be a nice clays and upland gun, you should have no problems with it at all.

If you really feel the need to put some 3 1/2's through it, get a R-3 limbsaver recoil pad for it.

Then go ahead and try some at the range.

But dude seriously, don't take it into the duck blind.

It's too purrty :wink:

Just saying...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:55 am 
Utility Grade

Haha Degriz, I know it's a purty gun. But It's the only shotgun I can afford to buy for a long time. It was bought to be shot and hunted with. I've gotta take it everywhere I hunt. I take very good care of my guns, and after a day of hunting you better believe I will strip it down to bare bones and clean every piece. If it gets a scratch here and there I'll just chalk it up to character.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Excellent gun. Pretty it is, but Wingmasters have been in the duck blind for over half a century. It will be right at home among the 8 million plus 870s since 1951.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:06 pm 
Utility Grade

01lariat, I figured as much. The name WING...MASTER hints at the fact that it would make a decent duck hunter. So I can't wait to go!~

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:52 pm 
Limited Edition

I bought a Remington Super Mag with a composite stock two years ago for $249 at Bass Pro Shop. I wanted something that would shoot 3-1/2 inch shells when hunting geese and not feel too bad if I accidently dropped it in the river. I've only shot a couple of boxes of 3-1/2 in. shells through it, but I have never had a problem with it.

My 870 is actually too light in weight to shoot magnum shells, because the recoil can be really punishing with the standard recoil pad. However, when shooting at a goose while wearing several layers of clothing in a cold boat blind, I hardly feel it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

01lariat wrote:
Excellent gun. Pretty it is, but Wingmasters have been in the duck blind for over half a century. It will be right at home among the 8 million plus 870s since 1951.

OK brockgl, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

BTW just in case you don't know, you could always pick up a black or camo synthetic Remington 870 stock set on Ebay for about 35-50 and switch it out for the ducks. (don't get the Ramline JMO)

Don't forget the R-3 for those 3 1/2ers. :shock:

Just a thought.

Shoot well.

Just saying...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:56 pm 
Limited Edition

I got both a 3" and a 3 1/2" 870 and have had no problem from either one. Now i have talked to a few gunsmiths and they say the pain in the a$$ with the 3 1/2" is the dust shield on the back of the bolt. The 3 1/2" basically uses the same bolt as the 3". The 3 1/2" will work just fine if you take the dust shield off but it leaves a very unattractive gap at the back of the bolt. The little dust shield is made to be removed for cleaning but it is held on by just friction fit with a little spring that it slides back and forth on and on top of that it's just thin sheet metal. So it can be easy to bent and if you bend the shield are bend the spring just a little it is going to make it malfunction. I think allot guys just do not realize how careful you have to be with those parts. You just have to be careful when it is apart when it is together it works fine. With my work i deal with small springs allot trust me you get them bent just a little bit it is no go. So the gunsmiths said they get 3 1/2" 870s in with those parts all bent up and the gun will not cycle right and there was no damage until the owner went to clean the gun they bend the parts are lose the little spring and so forth like that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've asked my gunshop/pawn shop owning friends the same thing,,,,what kind of trouble?

None of them have mentioned the gas shield.

They say the customer comes back, unhappy, with an 870 that won't shoot or won't cycle, or both. That's as far as they elaborate. They associate all the maladies with the heavy 3 1/2 inch loads. Which is, by the way, the only reason to buy the Super Mag,,,,so you have the option to shoot 3 1/2 inch super heavy loads.

These men are not avid shotgun addicts. All of them associate a sale of a three and a half inch 870 Super Mag with an unhappy customer coming back and wanting his money back, dealing with Remington repairs, etc. They all believe, right or wrong, that an 870 is one of the most trouble free designs ever made, unless you get the model that shoots 3 1/2 shells, and then actually shoot a bunch of 3 1/2 shells through it.

In other words, they are saying that the original 870 platform, designed in the late 1940's, could make the trip to handle 3 inch mags, but it's not a competent platform for the heaviest 3 1/2 mag loads. Too much recoil, too high pressures, cause things to break.

My own experience with 870's is they are utterly bulletproof. But I've never owned a Super Mag model, and if I did I wouldn't exercise the option of shooting 3 1/2 inch shells.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:04 pm 
Crown Grade

That is correct. That spring and dust shield to the rear of the bolt on the 870 super mag is the culprit that causes mishaps with the gun. Read the owners manual prior to assembly/disassembly. It isn't a big deal. There is nothing to worry about if you just do yourself a favor and read your owner manual.

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster Super Mag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:13 pm 
Field Grade

brockgl wrote:
Can anyone give me a rough idea of what I can expect to pay for a brand new 12ga. Remington Wingmaster 870 in Super Magnum (3 1/2 inch chamber)? I am new to the world of shotguns....

The main expense will be hospital bills. Theoretically there is no law of physics to prevent a pump action 12-gauge gun from being able to shoot 3.5 shells, but you'd have to be straight out of your mind to do it.

You want a gas-operated semi-auto gun and ported chokes, preferably the Pattern-Master. You'll find the recoil from 3.5 shells substantial enough with something like that but you won't die from it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:52 pm 
Utility Grade

so, are you guys saying that if I plan to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells from this gun that I should remove the dist cover? Are you saying the gun will function just fine without it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:30 pm 
Limited Edition

brockgl wrote:
so, are you guys saying that if I plan to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells from this gun that I should remove the dist cover? Are you saying the gun will function just fine without it?
i have had no problem with my Remington Express 3 1/2" but i work a job were i handle small parts and small springs everyday so the dust shield on my 3 1/2" did not through me for a loop. As long as you install it correctly after cleaning it will work fine. I don't think you need to take the dust shield off every time you clean it. The gun will work fine with out it though.