CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 Spring/Follower Removal
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:41 am 
Field Grade

Real simple question here, just want to know how to remove the spring and follower on the 500. My impression is that on the 500 the magazine tube needs to be removed by unscrewing it from the receiver. Is this true?

The manual says nothing and I'm getting conflicting information in the general forum. Some are saying there's a removable retainer on the end but I see nothing resembling that (maybe they're thinking of the 590?). They're telling me I'm going to ruin my gun taking the magazine tube off but I have trouble believing that :wink:

I just thought I'd ask some owners, as I'm sure ya'll know for sure. Any advice on removal would be helpful as well, I couldn't get it to move by hand so I'm planning on using a strap wrench.

Post subject: re: Mossberg 500 Spring/Follower Removal
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

I dont see a spring follower detent on the schematic so I would say the magazine tube would have to unscrew.
I havent taken mine apart yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:14 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks.

I found this and there is no spring retainer on it...

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem. ... l=0840z500

It's looking like it really does just unscrew :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

The magazine tube is screwed into the reciever and lock tited in. It can be hard to unscrew.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:41 pm 
Field Grade

Geez, really? Loctite? Is it one of the types that requires heat to loosen? If so I guess I need to find a heat gun somewhere... or would a hair dryer be enough?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

A hairdyer will work fine. Just take your time to heat it up. You can try it befor heating to see if it will move. Why do you want to take it out?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:11 pm 
Field Grade

I need to oil the spring.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

A strap wrench at the tube base also helps. Be careful as the tube wall is thin and you can easily dent it. Heat the receiver, then get it to break with the strap wrench, continuing removal by hand. It's not a hard job once the Loctite breaks. It's also a good idea to lube/clean the inner tube as well as the spring and follower.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:58 pm 
Crown Grade

I own 2 Model 500s. A 20 and a 12. The 12 was bought either mid or late 80s. The 20 in the 90s. Both have had extensive use in the brush and on the clays field. Neither one has ever needed the spring lubed or the housing cleaned out. Did your get dropped in a mud puddle or something?

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:09 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Here is a posting from some time ago dealing with this very condition.
One post referred to my previous posting at THR that was complete with pictures that unfortunately you can't access without logging in, but the text is comprehensive and can be helpful to minimize troubles with tube removal. The pictures are worth the look, though, so log in (or join) to see them and more of my postings there. Check my other posts here if you want more gunsmith insight.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... highlight=

Here is my post that was referenced:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php ... ostcount=7

If you want to see the other postings about comments and more info. from me and others, here is the entire posting:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.p ... ost3377051

kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:00 am 
Field Grade

I guess I shouldn't say I "need" to oil the spring but it squeals a lot against the tube and it doesn't move as freely as it could. The gun is actually brand new.

Anyway, thanks for all the info, I will tackle this eventually :)

kirb, would blue Loctite be sufficient if I wanted to re-apply it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:40 am 
Field Grade

I'm no expert, but my 500 is over twenty years old, and I've taken the mag tube off many times and I have never used loc-tite on it. I just hand tighten as much as my strength allows and it's fine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:12 pm 
Field Grade

Well, first try was a failure. A hairdryer and a strap wrench didn't do anything at all. The strap wrench won't grip the tube tightly enough -- it just spun around it. For those that have done this, what tool did you use on the tube to get a good enough grip on it without damaging it? I guess it might help if I used a vise to hold the receiver but at this point I'm not getting enough grip with the wrench that I need it. I probably should use a heat gun, too... the hairdryer gets it hot but evidently not hot enough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:55 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

You have another possibility to consider: do the job with the tube still in place.

You do want the barrel off, the action closed, and the plug dowel rod slid out the front hole in the tube.

You can do a fairly decent cleaning job with a universal cleaning rod (using a shotgun brush adapter with a suitably-sized brush with a patch wrapped around to make a snug fit inside the tube) and pushing the patch/brush in from the (feeding end) side of the tube.
Have the rod to one side of the trigger guard for a couple of strokes, then from the other side. Several passes will start the cleaning process, than switch to a clean patch soaked with alcohol etc.
Solvent wiping will remove most of the old gunk and dirt. Follow with another solvent patch if still removing scum. Follow with more patches and a dry patch when it seems clean enough.

After the tube is as clean as you expect in the areas you can wipe, you might consider spraying a little solvent through the tube end hole with the frame end held up so the solvent runoff comes back out and doesn't run into the action. If you go the other way, have the tube side of the frame down and have rags there to catch the runout. Re-wipe the tube with the patch/brush to ensure minimal residue remains.

Spray or drip some suitable lube through the tube end hole and stroke the follower and spring in and back out with that cleaning rod to check for free motion and distribute the lube.
Follow with a dry patch to sop up excess lube.

Worth a shot?

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:47 pm 
Field Grade

I should probably try that, didn't think about it. Thanks.

I might end up just taking it to a gunsmith to have it loosened, and from then on just hand-tighten it... I don't really have the tools to do this properly and that seems easier than trying to gather them up by borrowing from friends, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:23 pm 
Utility Grade

The name of the post referenced below says it all. I had no difficulty. Heating the base of the mag tube to 300 degrees is all you need and can be accomplished with cautious heat applied with a propane torch.

I was ok using a torch, it wasn't that bad, you should be ok too.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=58354&highlight=

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:08 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the reply, but I don't have a propane torch or even a vice for that matter... of course I could buy these things but I really have no other use for them. I don't even know anyone who has a vice if you can believe that, I've asked around... I guess that's what happens when everyone you know lives in an apartment :?

I did find a local gunsmith that will do it for $20. Not much more than a torch and a whole lot easier.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Strip it all down to just the reciever and tube. Take the stock and forarm off so there is no wood on it. Trigger and bolt out of the way so you can soak it. Get a big can of Wd40 and spray the hell out of the inside of the tube. Use a big patch of a old t-shirt to push up in the tube. Swob it out real well and see how it moves then. You can oil it latter before you put it back together. Just get it clean so it will not make any noise when you try to load it. That way you do not need a vise or a torch to get it done. You can use a coat hanger to push the patches up in the tube. You should be able to get it clean that way without a lot of trouble. Keep us posted on how you do.

Post subject: Re: re: Mossberg 500 Spring/Follower Removal
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:28 pm 
Limited Edition

erick295 wrote:
Well, first try was a failure. A hairdryer and a strap wrench didn't do anything at all. The strap wrench won't grip the tube tightly enough -- it just spun around it. For those that have done this, what tool did you use on the tube to get a good enough grip on it without damaging it?

If your gun is blued, put on a thin coat of contact cement in the middle of the tube where the slide is normally. Let it dry. The cement will give the strap wrench some traction. After you are done, use Gumout carburator cleaner to remove the cement. Putting the receiver in the jaws of a PADDED vise will help.

I wouldn't try this on a tube with a camo film.

While you have it apart I'd recommend a Choate orange magazine follower.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:39 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

I will reiterate the recommendation from my previous postings that no strap wrench should be placed anywhere on a Mossberg 500 type magazine tube except at the farthest end from the frame.
That is where the metal insert is installed to hold the barrel nut and provides the most support for resisting tube crush from any clamping force.
Any squeeze action anywhere else risks the chance of distorting the unsupported tube, and that will create possible feed problems and may not always be noticed if the distortion is not blatant.
At least if any small distortion was accidentally induced at the nut end of the tube (due to wrench slippage or other error) the shells and follower never reach that far due to the presence of the magazine spring, which is of a much smaller diameter and consequently unlikely to cause a jam except in the most extreme cases of crushed tube sections.