CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:27 pm 
Field Grade

When a stock is described as having a particular length of pull, how is this measured?

Post subject: re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

For every 1/4" inch change at the stock end will move your face forwards or backwards 1"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:58 pm 
Field Grade

By that measure, both the stocks on my FN SLP and 870 Express are 14". The 870 is a wood stock.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express.asp

Gauge
Mag. Cap. BBL Length Barrel Type Overall Length Avg. Wt. (lbs.) Order No. MSRP*
Model 870™ Express® Specifications

12 4 28" Vent Rib Rem™ Choke (Mod) 48 1/2" 7 1/2 25568 $373
12 (L) 4 28" Vent Rib Rem™ Choke (Mod) 48 1/2" 7 1/2 25577 $401
12 4 26" Vent Rib Rem™ Choke (Mod) 46 1/2" 7 1/4 25569 $373
20 4 28" Vent Rib Rem™ Choke (Mod) 48 1/2" 6 1/2 25583 $373
20 4 26" Vent Rib Rem™ Choke (Mod) 46 1/2" 6 1/4 25582 $373
20 (Y) 4 21" Vent Rib Rem™ Choke (Mod) 40 1/2" 6 1/2 25561 $373

LOP: 14"; Drop at Comb: 1 1/2"; Drop at Heel: 2 1/2"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

i'm no expert but i've been looking into stocks myself lately, and it seems to me 14" is the norm.....my moss 500 and win defender1300 both have 14" LOP......i didnt measure my Valmet O/U yet...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

To determine your "proper" lop, place the but into the crook of your elbow, the SECOND pad of your index finger should be even with the trigger. This good when cutting down a stock to fit someone petite, or a younger shooter. That being said most people with tac/hd shotguns prefer a shorter lop than normal. I'm fine with the standard the lop.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

cool cool cool...thanks for the tip...one question though......because of my build(lanky,,,i'm like a frigging praying mantis), is there any other ways you could recommend fitting? i'm 5-11 with a 74 inch reach, and a long neck....sometimes i feel like i'm hunching down to fit some guns...i'm gonna go measure my valmet and rifles now....

also, when you say 2nd pad do you mean the joint of the finger at the tip or the joint of the middle knuckle, thats about an inch difference between th e 2

Last edited by bullbarrel on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

Your trigger hand thumbs first knuckle and the tip of your nose should be about the width of two fingers. Some people like the tip of their nose almost touching their knuckle. A distance of 2" to almost touching is a rough starting point.

More experienced top shooters get pretty close.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Second pad, means not the "tip" of your finger, In the pic the red line is where I'm talking about. This is with your finger straight outside the trigger guard. At least this is the method I was told, plus I've seen it mentioned in a couple magazine articles being measured this way.Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Also I meant to say that as far as you felling hunched over, because of a long neck. That issue is delt with by the "drop" of a stock. Someone else may need to help you here as I have a short neck. I kinda know how to determine drop, but I'd rather someone who knows better than me tell you. P.S. if that valmet dont fit you, you can give it to me :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

thanks for the info....sorry, the valmet is staying here, its an old 412s, nothing special....

so i measured my rifles and shotties.....rem 700 synthetic , rem 7600 and winchest 94 and marlin .22 were all around 13.5"

universal m1 was 13.25"

the valmet, win 1300 and moss 500 were 14".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=129

Quote:
There are three specific measurements important in any shotgun stock. The measurements are "drop at comb," "drop at heel," and "length of pull."

Since exhaustive research and experimentation have shown that these three measurements can greatly affect shotgun shooting success, Browning takes special care to meet the most desirable measurements in each stock produced.

Length of Pull is the distance from the middle of the butt (recoil pad) to the trigger. A stock that is too long may catch under the arm pit, or drag on the lower shoulder. It will feel uncomfortable and awkward, and can markedly delay the fast execution of a shot. On the other hand, a stock that is too short may deliver more recoil to the shoulder and cheek.

Since most shotguns have no rear sights as do rifles, the shotgunner sights along a plane from breech to barrel muzzle to target. In effect, the shooter's eye is the rear sight. Thus the amount of drop at the comb is extremely important in its effect on good or poor shooting. Should the comb be too low, the shooter's eye will be too low when the gun is properly cheeked, and the gun will throw the charge below the mark. If the comb stands too high, the impact of the charge will consistently be above the target. In addition, the shooter must place his cheek against the comb of the stock at the same spot and in the same manner on each successive shot. Otherwise, the shooter will be erratic, sometimes shooting under his target and sometimes over.

The drop at heel measurement is just as important to good hunting as is drop at the comb. It contributes a great deal to proper gun alignment and, if excessive, will cause the recoil to be more noticeable. A 1 5/8 inch drop at the comb, a 2 1/2 inch drop at the heel will prove correct for at least 95% of the shooters.

For trap and skeet guns, a straighter stock is provided which means less drop at both the comb and heel. This is because the target is small and generally taken while rising. With a straighter stock there is less danger of shooting under the bird -- even though the shooter holds dead on without blotting out the bird with the muzzle as the shot is fired.

The shooter of average physical characteristics should use a stock of standard dimensions. The drop at both comb and heel will generally fit well. Any minor adjustments in the length of the stock should come after some shooting has been done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

theres the info we're lookin for, thankyou, LOL on the valmet, when I see the name my mind sees finnish ak clones....M62's, M76's,....I'm a big kalashnikov fan :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

Very informative.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

870_gunman wrote:
theres the info we're lookin for, thankyou, LOL on the valmet, when I see the name my mind sees finnish ak clones....M62's, M76's,....I'm a big kalashnikov fan :twisted:

A friend had a valmet m76 back in 90....I loved it. Seemed comparable to the ar-15 at that time and way better than the AK's i had come across......sadly, he sold it. dumbass.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:53 am 
Presentation Grade

If my head been screwed on straight I'd seen the O/U after "valmet" lol. Yeah I like valmet ak's. I've looked at few,but cant afford one right now , I sure wish I could :wink: