CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are the SX2 and FN SLP gas pistons exactly the same?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:30 pm 
Field Grade

Hi all,

I am considering getting an FN SLP as a home defense shotgun to go with my 870P. I've heard that the FN SLP can have some trouble cycling lighter 2 3/4" loads.

So I'm curious... since the SX2 and SLP are basically the same gun, and since the SX2 is more of a sporting/clays gun, then is the "light" gas piston on the SX2 designed to cycle lighter loads than the "light" gas piston on the SLP?

If so, then it would be easy enough to order an SX2 light piston from Winchester to use in an SLP, so it cycles lighter loads easier too.

What say you? Anyone tried that, or have experience in this area?

Thanks!

Chris

Post subject: re: Are the SX2 and FN SLP gas pistons exactly the same?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Can't answer that...but I just bought and started breaking in a new SLP this weekend, so I have some data and suggestions. I'm not sure this thread is in the right place for that, but I'll give you the short version.

Conclusion: the SLP is perfectly capable of cycling even 1 ounce/2.75 dram equiv loads...but here's what I did.

Clean all the factory goo out, it's too thick.

Relube with light lube (FN says nothing with teflon in it, btw, which includes RemOil, tho FN people will tell you on the side that RemOil is OK)

Change the installed black/heavy piston for the red/light piston (the manual suggests that the red comes installed, but that does not seem to be how most arrive)

Expect to have to hand-eject the first 50 or so rounds if you use low-recoil loads.

After about 50 rounds, the Fed Tac loads I shoot (00 and slugs) were 100%. After 150 or so even the Fed "Top Gun" (why do they call them that?) 1 oz/2.75 de loads were 100%, which is pretty darned good, considering I don't think you can buy normal commercial loads that are any lighter than that.

So, fear not, but follow directions and expect a break-in period.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:33 pm 
Limited Edition

By the way :D the only reason I've been reading here recently is because I had the same idea you had - same gun. The Browning Gold is also very similar. I read on an FN forum that FN CS told an SLP owner that the Win SX2 barrels could be used on the SLP...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:52 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the info, JNewell. I appreciate it!

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:55 pm 

A few hundred heavier field loads will work well for the break in period. I like to shoot them right out of the box for the break in and then tear the gun all the way down afterwards. Once you clean it, lightly rerelube it wih a quality oil like CLP, FP-10, or Militec.

Here's a link for a complete break down for the Browning Gold. It's pretty much the same for the FN and Winchesters except for the bolt part.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=78152

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Great post on cleaning. A few follow-ups...

First, check this article: http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/oseka_browning/10203/Deep%252Bcleaning%252Byour%252BBrowning%252BGold.shtml which suggests using a green 3M pad to clean the piston. Maybe it works and doesn't damage the piston, but there's no way I'd go at the piston with one of those abrasive pads.

Second, I'm amazed by the amount of blech that gets back into the recoil/action spring housing, and as your write-up indicates that really does need periodic cleaning. You'd think the thing was an AR-15, blowing gas right into the receiver by design. I love this gun but it's the dirtiest self-loader I've used, much dirtier than 11-87s or Beretta 390/391s (or, for that matter, A5s and Benelli M1s, but they're recoil guns, not gas guns).

As far as initial cleaning goes, dunno. Maybe FN is using different lube/preservative than USRAC used? The stuff on my SLP was about the same viscosity as the grease I lube the front end of my Jeep with - really! Very thick...not the kind of stuff that would help the action cycle easily.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:17 pm 

The Slip 2000 is the best way to clean the piston that I've found. This gas design is one of the best in terms of being clean. It's short stroke helps keep out carbon and has vents at the top of the forearm. This is true for the six golds and two SX2's that are owned by my self and buddies. The will go at least a thousand rounds between cleanings if you wanted to.