CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 gauge/20 gauge A-5 Stock compatibility
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I got a pre-war short chamber A-5 16 ga from a family member after a death in the family...it's a terrible mess. I found some ammo and got it cleaned up enough to fire. Killed the first pheasant I fired at with it. Now for some finer improvements.

The wrist of the stock was wrapped with hard white tape, and when I get it off, I see there's a crack extending straight back at the tang, also the stock along the side of the tang, seems to be warped and pulling away on both sides.

I can pull the stock and go to work fixing the crack etc, or start with a new stock. Some places I see that have Browning stocks advertise 20 ga and 16 ga as the same.

Are 20 and 16 ga A-5 stocks the same? Are pre-war and Post war 16 ga stocks the same?

What's with the current stock flaring along the tang? Is this a root cause of the crack?

Thanks for all your insights!

Post subject: re: 16 gauge/20 gauge A-5 Stock compatibility
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:42 pm 
Crown Grade

The inletting on the 16 and 20 stocks are the same size at the receiver end regardless of when they were made.

If your stock has a crack behind the tang and the side panels are sprung at the headstock then the crack is probably in front to the tang screw AND behind it. It is also likely that the tang screw is oval and the wood around it is soft from over oiling. The tang screw pocket will need to be glass bedded.

You have your work cut out for you. Unless you are skilled at this stuff you should keep your eye out for a replacement stock. But keep the original and as time permits bring it back to life.

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the quick reply! Are 20ga and 16ga stocks interchangeable?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Sorry, I thought I answered.

Yes.

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for spelling it out clearly! Now on to my quest. Finding a replacement while I try to fix the original I read your tutorial on fixing the elongated hole with acraglas and a drill bit...I'll give it a try!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Let us know if we can help!

Jeff

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:00 am 
Presentation Grade

http://cgi.ebay.com/Browning-Auto-5-A-5 ... dZViewItem

Art isn't known for 'giving his stuff away', but it is usually everything he says it is, quality wise.
keep checking e-bay and the auction sites, the stocks come up often, you will usually need to inquire about cracks.
Ross

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:04 am 
Presentation Grade

I seem to recall someone saying that the forearm from a short chamber 16 will need some 'fitting' to fit onto a 2 3/4" chamber 16 gauge.........anyone with these guns want to double check this?
Thanks,
Ross

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I see that there's a 90% inletted unfinished stock for sale on one of the boards from Fajen. Can anyone give me an estimate of the remaining 10%? Is it external wood/metal fit? or is there generally need to alter the inletting to get the tang to even slide in?

also, got the old stock off and the spring tube stayed with the stock, after closer inspection, I see some very fine threads at the top of this tube, but could not get it to screw into the receiver. Then I noticed a tube for sale and it was noted as "unthreaded". So my question is, does this have to be threaded in to the receiver? or friction fit with the stock holding it in place?

Thanks! JB

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:51 pm 
Crown Grade

There were two types of action spring tubes. The early ones were threaded into the top tang. The later ones were force fit and then brazed or soldered on.

You'll have to drill out the piece that is broken in the hole and turn down the new one till it will force fit, you can use black max threadblocker to hold it in place instead of solder.

Don't just stuff it back in the stock (though it woudl probably still work...)

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I was thinking I'd clean is up a bit then use a little marine-tex or JB weld to hold it in place. It appears that the walnut in the stock supports the end of the tube during firing and the fine threads/brazing just act to hold it aligned while assembling/dis assembling.

I'll be sure to clean out any excess after it is cured.

The original stock was cracked top and bottom with a split to the right of the tang hole. The hole itself is intact and does not appear elongated.

Thanks for the info! Jeff

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:58 pm 
Crown Grade

The stock may hold the tube in place but that is not the way it is designed to work. I think the jb weld might work just fine.

Jeff