CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shells-color coded
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

When did they start with the color coded shells and is there a reason for the colors chosen.What are the colors by gauge anyway.....I always forget

Post subject: re: Shells-color coded
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The only "universal" color coding on current shells that I'm aware of is no yellow 12ga, and no Red 20ga... but I see all sorts of other colors used for both.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:24 am 
Crown Grade

"Color coding" came into common usage in shells around the late 1960s or early 70s. Before then, the various gauges were often the same color depending on what the manufacturer was noted for. Remington papers were green in all diameters and Winchester was red. When plastic hulls came into being, these color schemes were carried over. I have a board of Remington Express hulls from 3.5" 10 ga on down to 2.5" .410 and they are all of the same colored plastic. Same for the Winchester compression formed hulls, I have a couple boxes of red 20 ga Super-X loads as well as 12, 16, 28 and 410. As I recall, Federal was the one who started color coding the 20 ga yellow well before the age of plastic and continued on in the 10, 12, and 16 ga. The others followed suit in the 20 ga much later in time. I seem to recall some of the "foreign" brands may have done so as early or earlier than Federal but I am not overly versed in them. C.I.L. of Canada was popular locally but only in 12 ga and they were a Royal Blue as I recall.
The Federal color scheme is as follows:
10 ga- brown
12 ga- red or maroon
16 ga- purple
20 ga- yellow
28 ga- red
410 - red
Other brands have other schemes based on their marketing decisions. Domestic manufacturers have mostly left yellow the color for 20 ga but foreign brands do not necessarily follow that pattern. I have seen yellow 12 ga as well as colors Crayola never thought of and the 20 has more than a handful too. In other words, color is not a sure indicator of what gauge a particular shell is, only looking at the head for what is stamped on there is a good bet.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:14 am 
Crown Grade

there is a 12g shell thats yellow. its made by RC. i think its got a bird printed on it. i thought it looked odd when i saw it.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:27 am 
Crown Grade

i`ve got it !
RC `sipe` shells 12g 32grams.

http://www.rc-cartridges.com/
-game cartridge
-light loads.

avalable in shotsize 11 ??

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:20 am 
Crown Grade

The only "agreement" was that American manufacturers agreed to make all 20 gauge shells yellow because of the higher incidence of 20 gauge shells being slipped into 12 gauge guns inadvertently and causing accidents, etc. If I recall right, the change over occurred arount the mid-60s.

BobK

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:22 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

+1. Remington makes ALL their shells green, save the yellow 20 ga. I've seen red, maroon, green, purple and blue 12 ga shells shot at the local range within the last year. At least.

Post subject: Re: re: Shells-color coded
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:35 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

BPGuy wrote:
+1. Remington makes ALL their shells green, save the yellow 20 ga. I've seen red, maroon, green, purple and blue 12 ga shells shot at the local range within the last year. At least.

What about the Rem. 12ga. black shotshells?

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:10 am 
Limited Edition

And what about the Gold colored 12 gauge shotshells? I had one old-timer tell me they are the best shells ever made for reloading.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dovehunter wrote:
BPGuy wrote:

What about the Rem. 12ga. black shotshells?

Their 16ga game loads are also black. If you're lucky like my Dad, they'll come from the factory with 12g's mixed in your box of 16's. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I pray every day for Obama: Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:58 am 
Diamond Grade

Guess I am wrong about the color code.Thought for sure I read somewhere they established a color for each ga.shell.Have to be more careful now when it comes to putting shells in my gun.I can't assume that 20's are always yellow. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think Bobk and uglydog have it about right. And, as everyone has said they come in many colors.

Back in simpler times (60s and 70s) I think Federal was the one ammo company that tried to have a color scheme for different gauges.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:37 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Color coding 12 and 20 shot shells has helped reduce one of the more common shotgun accidents.

drsfmd: I have actually seen Winchester 20 gauge shells that were red, so you cannot count on color coding. It was about 20 years ago, but we passed them around in a hunter ed class to make the point that color coding is a good idea but it is not universal.

We are careful to completely empty our vests and pockets when we switch shells when we are teaching 20 gauge and 12 gauge shooters in the same event. I have gotten to the point where I use two different vests so I can keep them separate.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Jimbo63 wrote:
And what about the Gold colored 12 gauge shotshells? I had one old-timer tell me they are the best shells ever made for reloading.

Jim

The only Gold flaked shells I've seen were stamped with Charles Daley 12g, 20ga. I wounder who makes it for them?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
The only Gold flaked shells I've seen were stamped with Charles Daley 12g, 20ga. I wounder who makes it for them?

I don't know the particular type of shell (game load, etc) but Remington makes them and it says Remington on the box.

This old-timer is a wealthy member of my club who has been shooting and reloading for about 50 years.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:15 pm 
Crown Grade

The Remington Nitro series of target loads come in a gold hull. They are the same as the green STS. I think these hulls (green and gold) are currently the best 12 ga hulls for reloading.
As Spencer mentions, Winchester did make red AA hulls for a while starting back in the 1960s but I believe they stopped by the very early 1970s at the latest. Remington made green SP hulls in all gauges until the late 1970s at least, or until they dropped the 97* size primer. All the 209 primer sized hulls from them I have seen were yellow though that does not preclude green ones from having been made as I don't think I have seen all of Remington's offerings. I have a board with of both makes of hulls that I too pass around during hunter safety courses for the same reasons mentioned earlier.
Now, when I get home, I'll have to dig around and try to find my box of "odd" shells; I'm sure to have a number of non-standard hulls in there.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If I remember correctly, Federal beat the drum for color coded shells in the late 60's, or early 70's. Federal still does it. It's a really good idea. The other manufacturers usually make their 20 gauge shells yellow, but I've seen plenty of those red Winchester 20 gauges.

There's not the slightest need to "color code" .410's. Everybody can see what they are at a glance, or by feel, even without looking at them.

As for 28 gauges, I can see somebody mixing them up with a 20 gauge. But, the 28 gauge is scarce, really, and the majority of shooters can sort out a 28 from a 20 with no trouble.

The main reason to color code shells is to make the 20's yellow. Put a 20 gauge in a 12 gauge, and it just might drop down into the chamber, and the next 12 gauge shell on top of it just very well might blow the gun and shooter up. This is quite a bad thing and famously so.

But, what gives me fits are the virtually identical black 16 gauge and 12 gauge Remington shells. I'll be running 12 gauge black Remingtons through the reloader,,,,and whoops!!!,,,,I'll stick in a black 16 gauge and it hangs up in the first station.
But, the 16 is getting scarcer and scarcer, so in the long run it won't matter much, anyway.

The government is always passing laws. They really need to pass one that 12 gauge shells can be any color but yellow or purple, all 16 gauge shells are purple, and all 20 gauge shells are yellow. They could leave the 10's, 28's, and .410's up to the maker's discretion. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

astomb wrote:

drsfmd: I have actually seen Winchester 20 gauge shells that were red, so you cannot count on color coding. It was about 20 years ago, but we passed them around in a hunter ed class to make the point that color coding is a good idea but it is not universal.

Yup. That's why I included the word "current" in my earlier post. I have a few of these that I picked up on the range, and kept them as a conversation piece.

When I first started shooting these were actually pretty common, but you don't run into them much anymore, and they certainly aren't available new.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

I know for a fact their are red 20's. NEVER Assume shells are what the color suggests...READ THE HEADSTAMP.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

cookoff013 wrote:
i`ve got it !
RC `sipe` shells 12g 32grams.

http://www.rc-cartridges.com/
-game cartridge
-light loads.

avalable in shotsize 11 ??

How about 24ga?????! They have quite a few yellow 12ga......and a green 20ga.....