CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEF Excell Auto 5 - Verona SX 405 Tactical Custom AutoLoader
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here are the two new editions to my shotgun collection. They are NEF Excell Auto 5 shotguns made in Turkey by Sarsilmaz who also makes all the pistols for the Turkish army. There made in a state-of-the-art factory to SAAMI-spec on CAD-CAM machines using CNC controls and has a wallet-friendly price tag. After doing a little research, I found that the Excell is the same gun as the Verona SX 405 that has quite a following at Shotgun World and is no longer being made under that name. I believe all parts interchange. The older models have the Humpback aluminum receiver design and have less features than the newer models. The new models with the Remington style aluminum receivers features a magazine cut-off system that allows safe loading or unloading of the chamber without unloading the shells in the magazine. The shell lifter lock is disengaged when the first shell is loaded through the ejection port and the bolt release is pushed. Then shells can be freely loaded through the loading port without holding in the bolt release. It also has a shell release to download the mag tube. It has rubber O-ring gas system and the gas piston is unique in that it has a top and bottom it can be reversed or flipped over to reduce recoil when shooting magnum loads. With the standard end of the piston in place for all loads, the hulls will spread in front and to the right at a distance of about six to eight feet. When using standard loads, With the piston reversed for magnum loads, the gun either rechambers the hull or partially ejects it. With the standard end of the piston in place I found that this gun will cycle most any load, heavy to light, you put through it. It will cycle cheap low cost shells and light loads other semi autos won’t. It is a very reliable shotgun. The fore end on the Excell is a little longer than other autos because it is a 5+1 shotgun. I like the added length of the fore end it looks nice, gives plenty of room, handles well and with a added tube extension it is a stronger setup because it is much shorter than other 8+1 autos. The fit, finish and stock is excellent for a shotgun in the $350 price range as you can see by the pictures.

Extra Verona SX405 barrels for the Excell auto are low cost right now from CDNN running about $50 each for both 24" and 26" barrels.

Here is what I added to these shotguns.

I had two 24" barrels cut to 20.5" and had them tapped for Tru-Choke tubes. I also had the cone extended to 4" for better patterns with buckshot and a little less recoil. The barrel work was done by shotgun barrel Master Mike Orlen. I custom fitted two mag tube extensions that are even with the muzzle and gives them 8+1 capacity. I also added a 870 sling plate adapter, Marble fiber optic bead sight and a nice set of Aluminum TruGlo rib mounted ghost ring sights. I really like these sights. They will hold up well for my intended purpose; shooting on the tactical shotgun coarse I setup on my property. I needed two very reliable low cost loaner high capacity shotguns for friends who come over to shoot who don't own a shotgun or a shotgun of this type. I have about $500 in each custom shotgun.

The Excell Auto 5 would make a good starting shotgun for anyone looking to get into 3 gun competition on the cheap. I am not a hunter but with the longer standard barrels it would make a nice shotgun for hunting and or sporting clays.

Here are pictures. One is a Realtree Advantage Hardwoods Camo model and the other is basic matte black.

GC

Last edited by MAX100 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: re: NEF Excell Auto 5 - Verona SX 405 Tactical Custom AutoLo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:32 pm 
Field Grade

The Verona SX405 had all those faetures too except you had to hold the bolt release button with some pressure to load it.

Post subject: re: NEF Excell Auto 5 - Verona SX 405 Tactical Custom AutoLo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Excell has a shell lifter lock but it is disengage after the first shell is loaded through the ejection port and the bolt release is pushed. I believe this the only Turhish made auto with this feature. All others you have to push and hold the bolt release to load. I am very pleased with these shotguns. I would like to shorten the length of pull a little and install a better recoil pad. The stock on the Excell is designed for easy shortening. All you have to do is cut it to the right angle.

GC

Post subject: Re: NEF Excell Auto 5 - Verona SX 405 Tactical Custom AutoLo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:37 am 
Utility Grade

Just curious, how is the reliability in these over the last few years? How do the extractors hold up?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:10 pm 
Utility Grade

I've had mine for about a year. I put the 24" barrel on it and the mag extension and other than heavy recoil due to how light the gun is, it's been flawless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:28 am 
Diamond Grade

I bought some pistols 2 weeks ago and bought them "right" as I do a lot of trading.
I traded an Astra .380 even up for a Verona Sx 12 ga. with one tube only.
Over all I'd rate the Verona 95% and only that because it has a UGH; plastic stock.
It has been obviously maintained well and the full choke shoots really tight.
I have $250 bucks in the gun and hard case and the swivel magazine cap and rear sling stud.
It's a real light weight s.g. and I tore it down to give it a complete cleaning which it dod not need.
I shot some 1 1/8 oz . feild loads and the recoil was simply a kitten cat.
I'm sure with 3" or buckshot loads recoil will be greater.
The metal workmanship is excellent, no sharp edges to anything.
I've owned Remington 1100's and you had to be careful cleaning the gas rings and op rod extensions as they were sharp enough to easily cut skin.
Not so this Verona which was designed by Bernardelli of Italy and is well thought of as a gun manufacturer.
Mine it made in Turkey also but they know how to build a s.g. right and Remington outsources several models they sell to Turkey.
I'm buying an extra 26/12,v.r. barrel from CDNN myself to have cut down to 21.5 " and have threaded for Rem chokes as I have about 8 tubves for the Remington.
I like your guns, they look good and look like they are a joy to handle.