CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Mossberg 930 SPX With Heat Shield Better Pics
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

I found a heat that fits the SPX quite well. It is made of fiberglass resin which in my opinion works better because it doesn't conduct heat like metal. Tell me what you think.

This is what I have added to my SPX:

Vang Safety
NOB bolt Handle
John Masen Win 1200 Heat Shield
UTG Moss 500 Scope Base
Falcon rail cover
Scattergun 870 Sling adapter
Fore end trimmed
Colonial Arms extended Knurled Modified choke Tube
Barrel work by Mike Orlen - 4" extended cone & Accu-Choke installed.

GC

Last edited by MAX100 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Mossberg 930 SPX With Heat Shield
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MAX100 wrote:
I found a heat that fits the SPX quite well. It is made of fiber glass resin which in my opinion works better because it doesn't conduct heat like metal. Tell me what you think.

Oh hell. You've just started a trend.
In before the "Why do you need a heatshield on a shotgun?" and related arguments.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

Post subject: re: The Mossberg 930 SPX With Heat Shield
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:11 pm 
Field Grade

That looks good, do you mind mentioning the brand and where you got it so other 930spx owners can get one? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Looks good. How much does it weigh and what's that little tab sticking up thru the shield about 2/3 of the way back?

Rob

Post subject: Re: The Mossberg 930 SPX With Heat Shield
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

m24shooter wrote:
MAX100 wrote:
I found a heat that fits the SPX quite well. It is made of fiber glass resin which in my opinion works better because it doesn't conduct heat like metal. Tell me what you think.

Oh hell. You've just started a trend.
In before the "Why do you need a heatshield on a shotgun?" and related arguments.

I wish we could put a shield on our demo gun, I've burned the hell out of my hand on that thing several times :(

http://www.kingarmory.com

Post subject: Re: re: The Mossberg 930 SPX With Heat Shield
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:35 am 
Presentation Grade

firefuzz wrote:
Looks good. How much does it weigh and what's that little tab sticking up thru the shield about 2/3 of the way back?

Rob

It doesn't weight enough to mention.

The little tab is a zip tie to secure the lower portion. I may make a metal bracket, clip or something later to secure the lower portion but for now it is zip tied. The zip tie holds it rock solid.

The brackets in the front are made of the same fiberglass as the heat shield but they seen to hold very well. It can't be rotated by applying pressure. The heat shield has brass threaded inserts for the screws. I haven't fire it yet and I don't see any problems but you never know. I will test it out on Sat.

You either like heat shields or you don't there is no in between. I like the way heat shields look and the fiberglass ones do help because they don't heat up like metal but of coarse the metal HS are more durable

I tried It on a Remington 870 and it fits very well with no modifying. It will probably fit a Remington 1100 & 11-87 too. On the SPX I took off the two flanges that hug the barrel at the receiver with a grinder. That's all the modifying that was needed.

Here is the link to the heat shield. It is put out by John Masen and it is a Winchester 1200 HS. This is not a top quality heat shield but it is good quality. It looks nice, it will work well and only cost $15.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=787638

There is also one made for the 870 but I haven't tried it.

GC

Last edited by MAX100 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just as long as thier are no plastic GRS mated to it.... :wink:

Post subject: re: The Mossberg 930 SPX With Heat Shield Better Pics
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Really reminds me of an M1 carbine. I like the looks! Please let us know how the tie wrap holds up under fire. Just a thought... Do you think the tie wrap will be able withstand the heat of the barrel during extended shooting? Guess I'm thinking it might melt or weaken. Do you think it would work on the tactical model with the breecher barrel?

And I'm thinking the only thing that gun needs to be "perfect" is a bayonet...sweet Jesus now I've got a project to work on!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Max,

I curious as to the barrel and choke work you had done. Did the installation of the mod choke improve your patterns enough to justify the cost of the modification? And did the forcing cone work reduce the recoil any appreciable amount?

I'm seriously thinking about having KingJoey install one of his muzzle devices on mine. Love the NOB by the way. Still working on the pics.

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Fine looking battle gun, clean and to the point.

bd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

While that looks OK, I like the Mossberg factory heat shield. IMO, it is the best one out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
I curious as to the barrel and choke work you had done. Did the installation of the mod choke improve your patterns enough to justify the cost of the modification? And did the forcing cone work reduce the recoil any appreciable amount?

Glad the NOB is working for you.

I like Modified choke and run one in all of shotguns with choke tubes. I get the best patterns with all types of buckshot using a modified choke. The barrel work only cost $100 total with shipping included there and back. Money well spent.

When I have choke tubes install again on one of my shotguns I will have Tru-Choke installed instead of Acc-Choke. The AC thinned the muzzle out quite a bit. I specified I wanted AC installed. The SPX barrel is close to the borderline as to where it can have AC tubes installed. That is one reason why I use a extended tube to protect the muzzle. It is not a bad idea to use a extended choke anyway to protect the muzzle on a choked tactical shotgun. The colonial Arms tube only extends 1/4" which is perfect.

The cone did lesson recoil a little and my patterns did import but I don't know if it was from the cone work or the choke. It was probably both. What did improve was reliability with cheap ammo. I was having problems with some shells not ejecting because they were sticking in the chamber. After the cone work that all went away. I believe the chamber on some 930 shotguns are a little tight and or rough. When Mike did the cone work he also polished it and the chamber very smooth. Now my SPX feeds very reliably with all types of ammo.

Quote:
Do you think the tie wrap will be able withstand the heat of the barrel during extended shooting? Guess I'm thinking it might melt or weaken. Do you think it would work on the tactical model with the breacher barrel?

Only time will tell if the zip tie will hold up or not. The barrel would have to get very hot to melt it but I believe it is possible. If it doesn't hold up I will make a bracket for it. I know one thing, zip ties are very strong, have you ever tried to snap one.

A heat shield would look good on a 930 breacher and fit well.

Quote:
While that looks OK, I like the Mossberg factory heat shield. IMO, it is the best one out there.

You are right the Mossberg HS is a very good shield but it is made of steel and will heat up along with the barrel. Also if you are in the hot sun it will be worthless. I prefer fiberglass heat shields because they work much better.

GC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

tag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

I found that the John Masen Remington 870 heat fits the SPX better than the Win 1200 shield with no modifying. Also I took the tie off of mine and I haven't had a problem with it.

GC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Not to sound like an idiot, but what is the purpose of the rail cover???

Post subject: Re: re: The Mossberg 930 SPX With Heat Shield Better Pics
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Ridge Runner wrote:

to cover the rail maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ridge Runner wrote:

They protect the rail. Not really needed on the SPX scope base but it looks good to me. It doesn't hurt anything.

Rail covers are needed on fore end rails because they protect the rail, gives a comfortable place to put your hand and serve as a heat shield.

GC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:35 pm 
Crown Grade

MAX100 wrote:
Ridge Runner wrote:

They protect the rail. Not really needed on the SPX scope base but it looks good to me. It doesn't hurt anything.

Rail covers are needed on fore end rails because they protect the rail, gives a comfortable place to put your hand and serve as a heat shield.

GC

I run covers on all of the unused rails on my AR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Why did you decide to go with the UTG Moss 500 Scope Base over the Mossberg one?

Where did you get the base?

How closely does the color of the heat shield match the shotguns furniture? It looks spot on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ridge Runner wrote:
Why did you decide to go with the UTG Moss 500 Scope Base over the Mossberg one?

Where did you get the base?

How closely does the color of the heat shield match the shotguns furniture? It looks spot on.

The reason I went with the UTG base is because it fits the 930 receiver a little better than Mossberg scope base choice. It sits lower on the receiver so it give a little more elevation adj. It also allows the two short front screws to screw into the receiver a little deeper for more thread engagement. It is longer and even with the end of the receiver. The quality is just as good as the Mossberg base. I used the factory screws with the UTG base because the factory screws are better quality.

The UTG base cost about $8 from Cheaper Than Dirt or Optics Planet. Others may carry them also.

This Heat shield works because it doesn't conduct heat like a metal ones. It is not as durable as metal shield; so I guess it is a trade off. It is a little darker black than the stock but it looks good. I like heat shields some don't.

GC