CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tightest #9 lead shot pattern at 20 yards
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:37 pm 
Field Grade

Hi,

I'm looking for a choke that will give me the tightest possible pattern at 20 yards with #9 lead shot, i tried a turkey choke but this actually opened the pattern up wider than with an improved modified choke, up until now i've been using a normal flush beretta choke, extra full, but if something excists that will make the pattern smaller i would really like to know.

You might wonder why on earth i would want super small patterns with #9 lead pellets at 20 yards, the thing is, here in Norway there's a form of competition where the idea is to get as many pellets as possible inside a small piece of cardboard mounted in the vital sone of a metal target (recembling various forms of animals), not unlike the still target championships you have in the US.
These targets run along a steel wire at different speeds on each event, so it makes it a bit difficult to get a clean hit, but none the less, it's a lot of fun.

Post subject: re: Tightest #9 lead shot pattern at 20 yards
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

go to www.turkeyshoot.net
and look under the equipment link

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:32 am 
Diamond Grade

It is possible to overchoke a barrel and ruin a pattern.Here in the Midwest those shoots are known as spot shoots or card shoots--they are stationary however--The winner is decided by the pellet closest to the center dot 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:12 am 
Field Grade

I see that pure gold makes a .640 choke specifically for card shoots or turkey shoots using #6 and smaller lead shot, anyone have any experience using these with #9 lead shot?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:44 pm 
Field Grade

What shell are you using? Some of the builders on www.turkeyshoot.net, can build you a barrel capable of blowing holes at that distance

Post subject: Re: re: Tightest #9 lead shot pattern at 20 yards
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:49 pm 
Field Grade

tommyt wrote:
What shell are you using? Some of the builders on www.turkeyshoot.net, can build you a barrel capable of blowing holes at that distance

I'm not that serious about it, and i'm not sure it would be legal either, your supposed to use normal hunting shotguns ;)

I use the shells that are given to me at the event, as you don't get to choose yourself, but it's always #9 lead.
So what I want is a screw-in choke that will give me the smallest possible pattern at about 20 yards with this type of ammunition.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:10 pm 
Limited Edition

thanks for the support tommy!!!
Slemmo , what gun are you shooting to be exact?
this will help me to help you.
I can tell you some things that will help you with out having to do much.

Post subject: Re: re: Tightest #9 lead shot pattern at 20 yards
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:42 am 
Field Grade

Dustcha wrote:
thanks for the support tommy!!!
Slemmo , what gun are you shooting to be exact?
this will help me to help you.
I can tell you some things that will help you with out having to do much.

I'm shooting a Beretta AL391 with mobilchoke system, I've ordered a comp-n-choke .640 cardshooter choke now, but I have no idea if it's actually going to work. Any help would be much appreciated.
Also, in this form of competition, it the pellets can't be counted it's a reshoot, so no shooting big holes....not that I actually believe it's possible with any kind of stock choke though ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:14 pm 
Limited Edition

ok slemmo,
I understand. How do they check these guns ?? do they check at all? What does the rules say specifically?
You can beat them guys.. But if you really want to stay stock and not use the gray areas of the rules it will be harder. I think the gun you are shooting uses a 7.29 average bore. at that distance ( staying pure Stock ) a gun such as browning with invector plus system would help you some because it is a bigger bore around 7.40 that gives you a tighter choke constriction from the get go. Use after market extended chokes--- that will extra length is needed for the choke to do a good job. try to use guns that are made for 2 3/4 inch shells only -- the 3 inch and 3 1/2 inch chambers will hurt you. If you will get you a aftermarket choke and send it to a builder on my site (cardshooters.com) they can do some work on the choke and that will help you alot also. the best is buy a custom choke from a builder -- some can build a choke that look just like the ones you buy at the store-- but alot better for what you want to do with it. while it is impossible to win every round , you can increase your odds of winning more often. the main thing is to enjoy what you are doing. I hope this helps . You can always read back at some old post in this section - called turkeyshoots. Or visit me at my site for more guidance and tips.
Let me know if you have anymore Questions or need some more help
Thanks Dustcha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:43 am 
Field Grade

As far as i know there are no rules against using custom chokes, the rules basically state that you must use a shotgun legal for hunting, but I have heard of people using 20 gauge chokes modified to fit in 12 gauge shotguns for instance.

I've had a chat with Lewis Ogle via mail about making a custom choke as well, and that's absolutely an option if the stock choke don't work out as intended.

I'll search a bit for turkeyshoot and keep an eye on your site also, and see if I can learn something :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:26 pm 
Limited Edition

that sounds great Slemmo,
Lewis is a great choke builder . You can often find him in the chat room at my site . He is listed and has a web page on the site also.

Dustcha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:20 am 
Field Grade

Tried the comp n choke .640 choke today, it gave a slightly smaller pattern than a Full Beretta Victory extended choke, and also smaller than a flush extra full choke I've been using, so so far this is the best yet, but I'd still like an even smaller pattern ;)