CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SKB 3000 Duck Unlimited
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:24 pm 
Field Grade

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum here but I've owned a number of SKB's, (2 model 500 ithaca's in 12 and 20 guage) and 2 XL900's, currently own a 1900 DU gun, and just bought a model 3000DU 12 guage out of Connecticut (I'm from near Vancouver, Canada).
The new gun is a beauty, never seen one but I now know where there's 2 more 3000DU guns (12 and 20ga), unfired for sale in NC.
It'll take at least a month to get the gun up here but I can wait. This gun is also unfired and I think I got a good deal at $500!
Has anyone used a 3000? I really like my 1900 and I've shouldered a few Brownings with the semi-squareback and liked it (I shoot an A5 mag for ducks).
Thanks for any information, thought I was lucky to find these guns in North America, being a DU model is a bonus (in my opinion).
Dan

And one of the 1900. I use it a lot for upland and skeet.

Post subject: re: SKB 3000 Duck Unlimited
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Dan,
Congrats on your recent acquisition, must be frustrationg to wait! I've just got a 1900 DU in 12 ga and love the gun. While the DU's are frequently set at a premium price, the gunshops around here tell me that the reality is that they are too common to realistically get any more for one than a good condition standard version. Mine had some problems with the trigger/hammer release at first, I believe the result of sitting in a closet/safe since "88. Pulling the trigger group and some minor polishing and lubrication fixed the problem.
Like you I've got some of the O/U's, and am so taken with their quality and value versus the "B" guns, that I've recently branched out into the semi-autos. The 12ga's are relatively easy to find, the 20ga MUCH harder to come by. Finally found a XL300 20ga 28" mod plain barrel for <$400 in the hand.
A lovely lightweight soft shooting piece that first time out at the clays course managed a 75/100, very pleased! And 100% functionality "outa' the box".
The 3000 "humpback" look is starting to grow on me, A Belgium A5 "Light Twelve" shoots so well that I'm developing a soft spot for the appearance. Love to get my hands on either of the 2 SKB versions.
Cheers,
R*2
Ps. PM sent.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:30 pm 
Field Grade

One reason I posted was to help anyone here who may be interested in the other 2. As far as I know, the 3000 wasn't available in North America, the DU version may have been a special deal (anyone know for sure?).
The only trouble I've had with any of my SKB XL900 or the 1900 was sloppy bolt and my buddy had a problem with his XL900 not reseting after a shot. Both problems corrected with a new spring that is in the stock and up to the bolt assembly. $20 apiece, guy in Ontario had them.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:18 am 
Field Grade

I finally recieved my shotgun and have had a chance to shoot it.
The gun is lighter than my model 1900 and shoots very smooth. I have a superstition that I have to hit a target with the first shot from any new gun I buy and this gun didn't let me down at the trap range!
Next week I hope to get out to shoot a round of skeet with this gun. I plan to use it for pheasant, chukar, and grouse hunting.
Dan
BTW, I paid $500 for the gun, 150 for the broker, 175 for shipping (Air Canada added a $50 charge as it was a firearm... :roll: ) and customs wanted $80 because... they always take something more out of our pocket! So I'm into this gun for about $900. I'm happy with it and the only other one I have seen was $800 and it was in North Carolina. I plan to keep this gun for a long, long time, it's a beauty!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:00 pm 

Very nice Canso_Dan! They did sell the 3000 in the US and also had a 3000 Presentation which looked like the same gun minus the DU on the receiver. I love the lines of the receiver!

I'm sure you found that the 3000 is pretty much the same model as the 1900 with a different receiver shape. They also had the 1300 which was a lower grade 1900. The 1900 was also used in the first couple of years of the Weatherby SAS before they went from SKB to Valtro for manufacturing and a different design.

I'd like to see SKB market a semi auto to the US again. I think it would do OK here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Dan,

You mentioned that you own 2 XL900s. How does your new 3000 compare to the XL900s? I am replacing a stolen XL900 for my father and I'm debating between the two guns.

Is the engraving the same image? Is the 3000 heavier or lighter? Is there any difference in steel shot shooting ability between the two guns? (I thought I read that the XL900 shouldn't be used with steel shot) How long is the barrel on the XL900?

And most importantly, how does the 3000 shoot compared to the XL900?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:17 pm 
Field Grade

Hi David,

I prefer either the 1900 or 3000 over the XL900 but mainly due to the quality of the wood and the fact they both have the ability to shoot 3" shells and they have choke tubes.
The XL900 is a nice shooting gun, I think the 1900 is about the same but a little heavier weight to it. The 3000 is smoother acting when it cycles, I also like the semi-squareback styling and sight plain.
The XL900 is by far cheaper and the 3000DU at the top of the scale. I would recomend either of the 1900 or 3000 over the XL900 if you are willing to spend the extra cash. Just for the choke tube option, I think it's worth it. I use my gun for both skeet and hunting and use imp and mod chokes for most of my shooting (the browning Invector shorter chokes interchange).
I know where there's a 3000DU for sale and they are asking $799 (said they would take $700 for it). The 1900DU pops up on gunsamerica and gunbroker website from time to time for under $500.
Hope this helps,
Dan
P.S. To change the 1900 and 3000 from 3" shells to 2 3/4" you remove the forearm wood and rotate a small valve (I use a coin, it's just a slotted tab). Easy and fast.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Dan,

Wow, quick reply! :D

Thanks for all the information. You confirmed some of the reasons I was leaning towards the 3000. The 3" capability and choke tubes do sound nice. I shot fairly well with the XL900, so I just wanted to make sure the 3000 was as easy to shoot.

Thanks for the information on the gun that is available. I am looking at a couple closer to home currently, but if those fall through, I'll contact you. :o

Oh, and thanks for the tip on how to change the gun to shoot the different sized shells. I just assumed it would cycle either one automatically. What does the valve do exactly?

David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:13 am 
Field Grade

The valve is just a shaft that is between the barrel and the gas operating system. For light loads, it is larger and allows more gas to operated the system. For heavy loads, the smaller port lets less gas through to operate the system. If you shoot heavy loads on the light system, it will eventually beat up the mechanical parts.
Other than the "hassle" of removing the end cap and forearm to change, it's no big deal. Just don't mix up light loads with heavy loads if it's set on heavy (it may not cycle).
Here's a pic of the 2 recievers (1900DU on top, XL900 on bottom).

Here is the barrels, the 3" with valve is on the bottom. The other 2 are off a xl900, one is a fixed port 3" chamber and it won't cycle light loads (seems to cycle 2 3/4" steel ok though).

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Dan,

Thanks again. Those pictures are great.

Now when it comes to "light" vs "heavy" loads, do you only switch settings when moving from 2 3/4 to 3 (or back), or do you also use the heavy setting for high velocity or magnum 2 3/4 rounds?

Or is the best way to figure it out to shoot the rounds on heavy mode and if they don't cycle, then switch to the light mode?

David

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:24 pm 
Limited Edition

"Or is the best way to figure it out to shoot the rounds on heavy mode and if they don't cycle, then switch to the light mode?"

Ayup!

Post subject: Re: re: SKB 3000 Duck Unlimited
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:40 pm 
Field Grade

Rrusse11 wrote:
"Or is the best way to figure it out to shoot the rounds on heavy mode and if they don't cycle, then switch to the light mode?"

Ayup!

Ditto! It ensures your gun will cycle softer if you can use the higher setting for any load (and still get the empties to eject). Shooting a higher velocity load on the low setting will beat up the action over time.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks again for the comments.

Your pictures of the game scenes were for the XL900 and 1900. Do you have a picture of the 3000's game scenes? Also, what year is your 3000? Were they all made in 1990?

The reason I ask is because I'm considering some over the net and I'm wondering if there are any variations depending on the year they were made.

Thanks,
David

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:41 pm 
Field Grade

David,
The top 3 pictures on this post are of the model 3000DU. It has the semi-squareback reciever and is the 1990 edition. The 4th pic is of a 1989 model 1900 DU Canada edition. I believe the model 3000 was available these years too but it was the higher priced model.
My model 3000DU also has the black finish on the top of the reciever and barrel.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Heh, the thread was so long, I forgot those were up there. Nice pictures.

When you say your 3000 has black finish on the top of the receiver and barrel, how is that different than the other guns?

Thanks again,
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Dan,

Thanks again for your help. Just wanted to share that I did get the SKB 3000 DU made in 1990. Bought it semi-locally, so no shipping or dealer costs. $650 in my hand. :)

The gun was brand new, in the box, never fired. Heck, I don't even think it had ever been assembled. :)

Gave it to my dad a couple weeks ago and we went out to a game farm this past weekend to break it in. Unfortunately, 6 inches of snow on the ground made for hard going, but we did get a couple chukar and two roosters. We'll have to go back in the spring when the snow is out.

David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:20 am 
Field Grade

Hope your dad likes the way it shoots. My buddy and I both think the 3000 is a smoother recoiling gun than the XL900 and 1900DU guns we have.
I use my 3000 for pheasants at the preserve, grouse and skeet with Imp choke. If the weather is nice in the next few weeks I'll have to take it out for the end of our duck season as a spare at the very least. The forestock on my Browning A5 mag really cracked this time and I'm shelving it until the spring (I use my Beretta A303 as my spare duck gun but my buddies and I all shoot autos so we always take a spare and leave it in a case in the blind).
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Dan,

He didn't get in a lot of shooting this trip, but I didn't hear any complaints either. :) I know when I was using it, I didn't even really notice I was shooting, which is a good sign.

We were using the full-choke on that gun, with the thought that after a while, he'd swap guns with me and I'd hang back with the full choke and he'd take the first shot or two with the Improved choke on a 20 gauge.

Sorry to hear about your other gun. :(

David