CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IAB shotguns
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:21 am 
Utility Grade

Anyone have any info on IAB shotguns? I've never heard of 'em, but I ran accross one for sale and I can't find anything on the web about 'em.

Thanks,

Tom

Post subject: Re: IAB shotguns
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I remember IAB's were imported into the US from Italy during the mid to late 80's. They offered O/U's and O/U/unsingle combos. Many trapshooters I knew talked about them quite a bit and compared them favorably with the Beretta combos (680?).

A guy at the range I worked at had an IAB combo - circa 1988. He liked it alot. However, I don't know how durable they were, or if you can still find parts for them.

Post subject: Re: IAB shotguns
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:49 am 
IAB, Industria Armi Bresciane. Not being imported for 20 years. Were quality made o/u's but parts would be difficult I suspect. I saw one at the Reno gun show, 30" o/u" mint cond., $700. in original hardcase. Try Batchhelders Gunsmiths in Grand Rapids, MI. for repair history on these or many Italian guns.

Post subject: re: IAB shotguns
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:53 am 
DELETED

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:20 am 
Limited Edition

The IAB guns of the 80's were very good high grade guns and easily comparable to Perazzis of the time. Boss action, flat springs, high quality engravings, great timber, etc. A number of models were available. A mint condition cased IAB for $700 is a genuine bargain.

The IAB website mentioned above does and doesn't have much to do with those older guns. I can tell you the old IAB doesn't exist anymore.

I did a search for IAB myself a couple of years ago before a trip to Brescia. Having seen a few of the guns years ago they were one of the factories I wanted to visit. I contacted them beforehand, via the mentioned website, learnt a little about what they do these days and made an appointment to call in and say hello. What I found when I got there is a factory producing not only the Sharps replica carbines etc., but amongst other things makes folding .410 hunting shotguns en masse, ball bearings for Meredes, various other component parts for the automotive industry... and another line of top quality Boss actioned over and under shotguns. Their wood room is amazing. Quite a large room, fully climate controlled, with racks and racks of Walnut stock blanks! You can select your own blank and have it cut to measure.

The new IABs are marketed under the rather unfortunate but maybe somewhat appropriate name of Investarms, as the guns would retail between $10k+ and $30k here in Australia. I recently came across them being promoted under another company and brand name, both of which unfortunately escape me at the moment. Investarms told me their guns were designed by some guys who also used to work on the Perazzi design team, and that their actions are even more stramlined. The Investarms link is here, nice intro music... http://www.investarm.it/

Post subject: Re: re: IAB shotguns
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:11 am 
Utility Grade

justrbloke wrote:
A mint condition cased IAB for $700 is a genuine bargain.

Justrbloke,
What you described sounds like a completely different IAB to the one I owned for about 10 years. I actually sold mine for AUD$700 with case which I & the buyer thought was pretty fair, and no it didn't compare favourably with a Perazzi.

I see you're from Brisbane. I actually bought mine almost new from Bill Stevens in Brisbane in 1989 who used to import them during the 80s. A colleague near where I live joked that IAB stands for "I Am a Boito"! (Boito = Philippine/Brazilian double barrel junk); but I reckoned that was a bit harsh!

Mine was a "Record Trap" model and the action style was just a typical mass produced Italian style like the current Rizzinis & others; ie it was not a Boss/Perazzi style action. It had flat-sided monoblock with a full width hinge pin & underlug and bolt under the bottom barrel (like Miroku/japanese Browning). It had no side ribs on the barrel (like Krieghoffs), but it was a fairly basic gun, although it had a very good trigger. I've heard that parts are difficult to source now, which is partly why I got rid of it.

It served me well and got me into the sport of trap shooting and I enjoyed using it, but have moved on to another gun since then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:36 am 
Limited Edition

KM4,

That certainly is a different gun to those I saw years ago. I was living in Victoria back then and saw none of those you describe.

Considering the factory currently makes a range of guns from dirt cheap to fairly ex'y, it's quite possible they did the same back then under the same brand name and the gun you had was one of the cheaper models.

As I said, IAB claim some of their staff were on the Perazzi design team, for the MX8. The guns I saw during the 80's, and certainly their current Investarms models are very similar. The IAB's I'm familiar with were very well made, finely engraved and had excellent wood. I nearly died when a guy who had been showing off his beautiful new IAB sidelock to me decided a couple of weeks later that the stock needed some adjustment, and he proceeded to clamp it to the club house kitchen bench and take to the comb with a belt sander! :shock: Fortunately he did know what he was doing.

Sounds like the gun Cooter1 refers to needs to be considered in light of both our experiences and evaluated accordingly. Might be a bargain, but not neccessarily so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:51 am 
Utility Grade

Yes I was quite happy with mine for the time I had it. The stock on it had reasonable figure & came up quite well with a smear of linseed oil on it once in a while.

The only problems it developed was that a screw in the foreend iron used to constantly loosen so the fore end wood felt a bit loose; and I think that might have had something to do with the bottom ejector timing being out. An empty shell in the bottom barrel would eject just before the barrels were open far enough for it to clear the breech (so in other words, the shell wouldn't actually eject completely out of the chamber). Never stopped me shooting with it though.

But it was a good gun for the money. I also didn't realise they made guns in other price brackets. I've only ever seen two others similar to mine (one a skeet gun), & I think both of them were originally sold by Stevens & Sons in Coorparoo, Brisbane where mine came from. That business is still going, run by Bill Stevens sons I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:08 am 
Limited Edition

KM4,
Stevens's shop is not far from my place, but the story is it will be closing soon. Bill's 3 sons run the shop these days and apparently one of them has just taken up a position with Nioa Trading. Another does excellent stock work and is apparently going to concentrate solely on that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:09 pm 
Utility Grade

IAB shotguns were indeed manufactured in the late 60's and early 70's. I have two [2] Catalogues in my collection. They were imported by Mars Equiptment of Chicago Ill. I was work for a ammunition mfg. here in Wi at the time and we sold Mars 9 mm ammo. I could have purchase a custom trap for about $300.00. I have seen a few single bbl Traps for sale over the years. The top of the line was call "TIGER". The firing pin were coil spring activated and were very fast acting. They were truely well made and very handsome guns.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Spot on Phil. One of the guns I saw back in the early 80's was in fact a Tiger. The guy who had it was considering selling it for around $2,500, second hand obviously. This was at a time when a near top of the line Miroku trap gun was selling new for under $1,000. It was a truly beautiful gun that as a young teenager I simply couldn't afford. Never forgot it though, stunning wood and engraving.

Peter Tobin
www.oli.net.au