CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hunting with a single shot shotgun?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello,

Just picked up a used Marlin 12 gauge single shot shotgun (only costed me $50.00, and Id be surprised if 20 shells went through it). Just wondering, who hunts with one? and what do you hunt?

Scout

Post subject: re: Hunting with a single shot shotgun?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:50 am 
Crown Grade

Heck,I grew up with a couple of singles in 410 & 20. Squill, rabbit, birds and deer. I got a 12 single at 16 and still have it somewhere. The 410 still comes out every fall for squills.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:01 pm 
Crown Grade

My first shotgun was a 28 gauge Winchester Cooey Model 84 single shot.At the time it was my only shotgun and it got used for everything.Every so often I take the old workhorse out on a rabbit(snowshoe hare) hunt.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Most hunting situations only give you one clear shot anyway, so a single-shot isn't that much of an impediment. Knowing you've only got one shot also teaches you discipline in shot selection.

I've hunted with guys who always fired off three or more shots at every bird that flushed, even though the most they accomplished was to make clouds of leaves come wafting down.

A single-shot might be at a disadvantage hunting ducks, geese, or doves, but you'd be surprised how fast some folks can reload and get off repeat shots with a single-shot.

Post subject: Re: re: Hunting with a single shot shotgun?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bud Tugly wrote:
A single-shot might be at a disadvantage hunting ducks, geese, or doves, but you'd be surprised how fast some folks can reload and get off repeat shots with a single-shot.

Once got off three shots at one covey of quail with the old 16 gage SS! Big, big covey, or maybe possibly two coveys just overlapping a bit.

The main body got up and then the stragglers just kept on coming up, spread out for quite a few more yards in front of me.

How many down? I honestly don't remember, but I know it was not three! That has to be something like 55 years ago. And I don't think I have seen that many quail, in total, since!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can hunt pretty much any animal that walks or flies in North America with a 12 gauge. Most single-shots are very light, which makes them a delight to carry all day in the field.

That same lightness makes them ferocious kickers, however, especially in 12 gauge. I'd stick to lighter loads unless you enjoy having a bruised shoulder and loosened fillings. :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:05 am 
Diamond Grade

As an adult I only really got back into hunting less than 5 years ago. I've experimented with a number of shotguns, but the season I killed the most ducks, I did it with a single. :o Once in a while I even had time to reload and fire again when jump shooting ducks. I got my first Green-Wing drake that way. :D The birds can't always tell where the shot came from until you fire again. Sometimes a flock will actually roll back over you, depending on wind direction. That's really fun. :lol:

-Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

My Dad bought a single 20ga when I was in my teens. I used it a couple times and it worked. I then bought a pump and used it for a few decades. My Dad passed on and I inherited his guns, an 870, SKB Auto, the single and two rifles. I refurbished the single and the auto. I decided to buy some 20ga ammo and try the little gun again. I have a 3 rooster limit per day and decided to take the auto, my pump and the 20ga single. I took the first rooster with the auto. After a few hours, the second with the pump and then it was time for the single. Had about 2 hours of light left and I knew where to find birds. I admit I felt a little hesitant with no backup shot but when my third rooster flushed, he was in the bag, taken at about 30 yards. He was every bit as dead as with any other gun, so I give the single a vote of confidence. Here's the three guns and three roosters, followed by the 20ga with my little brother back in the '60's and the action of the 20ga. All this said, my all time favorite was (yes past tense due to catastrophic barrel failure) a Parker VH my Dad gave me in the late '70's. I am in the process of purchasing its replacement and hope to have some Parker/Rooster pics this fall. Cheers, Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

My first shotgun at 10 years of age in 1956 was a Savage Model 220A in .410 ga. The Savage Model 220's were hammerless single shots and most had a cas hardened receiver. A few years ago I picked up a Model 220B in 16 ga. that I had bored out to IC. I like to take it when it's just me and my dogs. It's a fun, little, light gun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:28 am 
Tournament Grade

Those of us who started hunting back 40-50 years ago mostly learned on single shots. Part of it was cost, part was the notion that "the kid" would learn discipline with only 1 shot, and part was the fact that breaking the gun open was an instant visual that the gun was safe.

These days lots of folks seem to get a pump or even an auto as their first gun. Either we must have more disposable income these days or repeating guns have become more affordable.

I suppose people brought up on repeaters view single shots as toys, but in skilled hands they are very formidable weapons.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:51 am 
Crown Grade

Scout,

You'll have a great time.

Maybe as experience comes you will want something different, but until then have fun!

Some old frats like me and I suspect Bud will hunt with a single just for the fun of it. I use a wee Webley and Scott .410 for pottering around after rabbits and 12 gauge Greener for flight shooting woodpigeon.

regards
Eug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey there,

Got into hunting only recently when I inherited a single shot winchester 12ga and have been shooting grouse ever since.

Although new to the sport, I can't complain about having only one shot since most of the birds I missed had disapeared behind foliage after the first shot so I would only very rarely have had time for a second shot even if it was available to me.

It is a very light weapon that I carried all day without problem.

Hope you enjoy your new shotgun,

Jethro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Bud, I believe you hit the nail on the head. We learned to wait for just the right moment and didn't fill the air with shot hoping to bring something down. If I'd pulled a stunt like that I'da probably got smacked in the head.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

My first shotgun, still have it, a 12ga single shot. Hunted pheasants with it for years. Fixed mod choke. I would carry an extra shell between my fingers and could get a 2nd shoot pretty quickly. Rabbits, Squirrels, Pigons, Pheasants, Ducks, Crows. I even have a nice little .28ga single shot that I've dropped pheasants with. (Kicks alittle) but very light to carry all day in the field.

Have fun, brings back good memories.

David D. Cruger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:29 pm 
Utility Grade

One of the best learning shotguns has to be a single shot, break open, hammerd gun. I learned to shoot with my fathers model 12, but when it came time to learn how to hunt, my father gave me the single shot. One of the best ways toensure that a new hunter is safe, and lears how to pick their shots.

Just a cheep old H&R. Still have the gun, but haven't fired it in years. Isuppose it will stay in the gun cabnet until I have a boy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:17 pm 
Field Grade

I've still got my first gun, handed down to me by my father. A single shot 20, and I've probably taken more game with it than with any other gun I've owned.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I started with a single-shot 20 Savage, hunting birds, and the moved on from there. My son started deer hunting with me carrying his single-shot .410, then moved to a single-shot 20 gauge, and now that he's 14 he's up to pump 20s.

You can't beat the price, reliability and safety of a single-shot, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:39 am 
Utility Grade

my first gun was a single shot 20ga, hunted deer, rabbits, and turkeys with it for years (had i been a wing shooter i would have been comfortable with that as well)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Only someone who would drown in the rain would snub his nose at the single shot.There purpose in life was to put meat in the pot and they still do. I believe every man should spend at least one day in the field each year with a single so he can remember what brought him to the hunting life and remember how simple hunting can be without all the gadgets

Post subject: Re: re: Hunting with a single shot shotgun?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Amigo Will wrote:
Only someone who would drown in the rain would snub his nose at the single shot.There purpose in life was to put meat in the pot and they still do. I believe every man should spend at least one day in the field each year with a single so he can remember what brought him to the hunting life and remember how simple hunting can be without all the gadgets

Right on, Amigo Will!

-Dave