CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying a used semi-auto
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:00 am 
Utility Grade

Hey Everyone,
I have been looking at a few used semi-auto's and I was wondering what all of you look for when buying a used one.

What are signs of wear, damage?
What are signs that it is a good buy?

I am just kind of thinking of this like buying a car. You lose money on it the minute you drive it off of the lot.

What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Post subject: re: Buying a used semi-auto
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:22 am 
Limited Edition

Ducksquasher, hello. We need to know first what for you need to buy a shotgun, is it for clays, trap, hunting, what type of hunting? And what is the budget you are planing to pay? How long have you been shooting - hunting? Do you like heavy shotguns or light ones?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

First indicator it the appearance. If the outside looks pristine, the inside is probably at worst, dirty. A little honest wear, thin bluing along sharp outside corners is okay, some light scratches on the stock, but no gouges in the wood or steel. Inside, look at the recoil system and gas parts. If you have a dial caliper, measure things, but you can usually see heavy wear pretty easily. If you can, shoot it. That will tell you tons of stuff in a hurry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:10 am 
Crown Grade

Adding to what Virginian said, look closely at the forearm for cracks or repairs, especially on recoil operated guns.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

There are many good deals available on used semi-auto's, especially older Remington 1100', and 11-48's. Usually they are available under $300. Brownings are "pricier."

Unlikely they are worn out, as they last a long time. I'm shooting a 1951 Remington 11-48 I bought for $175 four years ago. I've probably fired almost 2,000 rounds through it, and it was 50+ years old when I boughr it used.

Cracks in the buttstock or forearm are no big deal, and can easily be repaired with epoxy.

You may want to add a new recoil pad if the gun is 20+ years old.

JERRY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I am all for buying used guns. Let someone else take the big hit. Don't get me wrong if I could afford to buy new I would. As said above look at the overall appearance of the gun. If it's beat on the outside then it's probably not been taken care of lubed,cleaned... Also look carfully at the barrel make sure there are no bulges. Sometimes the barrels have a slight bulge at the choke tube to allow room for the choke tubes. Also be aware some clay guns have been used a lot. Just be patient there are many good used guns out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:08 pm 
Crown Grade

I know Remington's the best and with them they have their own sound/feel. If either is off either they are dirty, abused or broke. Looking at the outside could be good indicator of which. Taking it apart could revel things as well. You have to know what to look for though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Often the outside appearance provides NO indication of the functioning ability of a semi-auto.

Stock scratches and blue wear may mean it was stored poorly or carried a lot, and may have crossed many barbed wire fences while hunting. However, the internal shooting parts may still be excellent (and usually are!). It is difficult to "wear out" a semi-auto; and unlikely that any hunter would do so.

A clay bird shooter can wear out a gun, but usually the exterior finish is still perfect.

It is worthwhile to decide up front if you are buying it to USE, or to LOOK AT. A gun with scratches can usually be purchased for much less -- but still be a great hunting gun. If you wish, refinishing the wood is easy to do at home.

When buying a semi-auto it is best to obtain a one week trial period, to disassemble and to test fire.

JERRY