CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 good old ribbed forends?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:47 pm 
Utility Grade

hello, I am new to these forums and i was hoping yall could help me with a problem i've been havin: iv searched all over the internet and what not and i have NOT been able to fine a place where you can aquire good old wooden "ribbed" forends for remington 870's, because everyone else makes synthetic ones and usualy no "ribbed" forends at all, just the smooth, clunky, checkered kind that remington has vomitted on all their new 870 product line. :(

THIS IS THE GENERAL IDEA OF THE KIND OF FOREND I WANT BUT STUPID REMINGTON DOESNT MAKE ANY NOR DO THIRD PARTY COMPANIES:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... l%26sa%3DG

if anyone is interested or has any pointers, what I am attempting is to convert the Rem870 to an AOW with a 14" bbl, with speedfeed bird's head pistol grip, and the wooden ribbed forestock iv been ranting about.

Post subject: re: Remington 870 good old ribbed forends?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:12 pm 
Field Grade

I think you are looking for the walnut "police" forend. Brownells has them if thats what you want... PN 767-000-222. Call them to confirm that is really what you are looking for. They should have it and will match the standard 870p click the pdf link here
http://www.remingtonle.com/pdf/08LE_Firearms.pdf and go to page 5 of 17, top of the page, is this what you were after???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:41 pm 
Utility Grade

yes the very same "police" walnut forend that were seen on the 'Remington 870 Police Pump' shotguns in the 1970's. the one in page 5 of 17 in that pdf you linked me to is a pretty good example of what i mean. the only problem is that that remington factory police model there is only for law enforcement/military.
the Brownells forend you reffered was very nice and helpfull.
Thankyou very much for the help.

Post subject: Re: re: Remington 870 good old ribbed forends?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

GunNutTom wrote:
the one in page 5 of 17 in that pdf you linked me to is a pretty good example of what i mean.

You see these quite often on Feebay.

Last week there were at least 5 of them (being auctioned alone) in various conditions, most pretty nice.

One really nice one sold for about $20 dollars.

Sorry to say this stock set is all I could find today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remington-870-Shotg ... dZViewItem

Keep watching...

Just saying...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:12 pm 
Utility Grade

thats a good idea never thought about ebay having them

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:23 pm 
Field Grade

There are also other gun auction sites since EBAY is becomiong so anti anything that can hurt. gunbroker is one as is gunsamerica. As for the police thing. Actually several of us on here own one or a few. my 870P... still want a common wood stock bead sight like I post for you to add to my collection.

Welcome to shotgunworld and the basement.
Here is my 870P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:58 pm 
Utility Grade

Nice, is that a Advanced Technology stock? and iv never seen that kind of a forend light mount before, wher'd you get it?

heres another project that iv allready set up to go into works:

Mossberg- Model 500: Special Purpose Series Tactical Cruiser
Type: 6-Shot
Item: 54125
GA.: 12
Chamber: 3”
Description: Pistol Grip Only
Capacity: 6
BBL Length: 18 1/2”
Sights: Bead
Choke: Cylinder Bore
OA Length: 28 3/4”
Finish: Matte
Stock: Synthetic
Weight (Unloaded): 5 3/4lbs
MSRP (2008): $413.00

heres the accessories:

Advanced Technology, Inc. – ATI Deluxe Heatshield with Ghost Ring Sights in Black
$28.49

Mesa Tactical- SureShell Shotshell Carrier for Mossberg Shotguns, 6-Shell
$62.30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:45 pm 
Field Grade

Its a knoxx spec op stock. I cant tell if I like it or not. The recoil is cut down but its just akward to hold. I switch out every few months between this stock and a speedfeed I. As for the light, its a surefire 618FA, kind of pricy but worth every cent.

The cruisers are nice, but being a pistol grip only it kind of sucks to actually aim and shoot, plus I posted a few videos that I linked at the end of the post of people shooting pistol grip only shotties and popping themselfs in the head. I would recommend away from the sight and heatshield combo. The heatshield is good but the plastic sights they attach are not stabile and I also recommend some sort of folding stock, so you have the compactness you are looking and the stability when you need it. Knoxxs (now blackhawk) has a few, I have a copstock equipped 870 express with a mossberg "tactical breecher barrel" just because I though it looked cool and had some money to blow. The express I did this too was a birthday present I received from my father when I was 14 (16 years ago). A few minutes and I can swap back out the stock (furnature off of my 870P) and barrel (28" ribbed)and go out duck hunting/ skeet shooting.

videos of why I do not like pistol grip only.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ioAjVvd4SjM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LGiPAZFOOnk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoClSZyLWqc&NR=1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 pm 
Crown Grade

spoolup wrote:

videos of why I do not like <a href="http://www.pistolworld.com">pistol</a> grip only.

[]

rookies :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:34 pm 
Utility Grade

oh thanks for the warning, about the sh*tty heat shield sights and the dilluding temptress that is the pistol grip/sight combo, but, come to think of it, that skeletonized folder looking "wire" stock you've got there looks pretty low profile and suitable, ill deffinately add it to my wishlist, and ill take the advice on the sights, but i would still like to have a heat shield. i think what ill do is have a standard heatshield with no sights, but have the reciever drill/tap'ed for a picatinny rail for a Trijicon Reflex Sight. hows that sound? can the top of the reciever even BE drill/tapped without sabbotaging the chamber/bolt?

oya Banshee, thanks for the pointer on the birds head grip from before... :wink:

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 good old ribbed forends?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:14 pm 
Crown Grade

GunNutTom wrote:

if anyone is interested or has any pointers, what I am attempting is to convert the Rem870 to an AOW with a 14" bbl, with speedfeed bird's head pist0l grip, and the wooden ribbed forestock iv been ranting about.

you do know unless you are a manufacture with a SOT/FFL it is a $200 tax to build an AOW ? The $5.00 is only for a transfer. Plus you can only make an AOW from a gun or receiver that has never had a butt stock on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:15 pm 
Utility Grade

i knew about the $200 rule and everything but i never knew that you could only make an AOW from another "stockless" shotgun! that pisses me off... though i am very lucky to live in america and have such leaniant firearm laws and restrictions, i still must say we have some outragious and stupid rules that need to be fixed/more leniant, instead of these rules that only make things complicated that were only meant to be a thorn in gun owners sides/ a mosquito bite from the liberals.

but building the other AOW i was looking into, the Mossberg 500 tactical cruiser that i plan to modify, wouldn't be a problem with that wierd rule then would it? it already comes with factory pistol grip.

but, with the Rem870 i want to customize, since i cant make it an AOW, due to the buttstock rule, if i am not mistaken i CAN make it an "SBS", right? or do sbs simpley mean that you can convert from a buttstocked shotgun, but you still can't replace the buttstock with a pistol grip?

would THIS be 'something i could purchase' to make into an AOW?
http://www.autoweapons.com/photos07/may/1930kac.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tom,

It seems like I remember the fore end you are looking for as being called a Remington 870 "corn cob" fore end. You might Google that and see what comes up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:17 am 
Crown Grade

with a SBS you can have a full stock or pistol grip, it doesn't matter. You can swap them back and forth. My shorty 870 is a SBS. I have had a full stock on it a couple of times. It does looks kinda odd with a stock.

the Knight masterkey is a little on the expensive side. It is already a SBS and it would depend on what Knight used to build it on. If you MUST have an 870 AOW, just buy the 870 that comes with a pistol grip only from Remington.
Personally I wouldn't worry about an AOW, just built a SBS with a pistol grip and forget about it. The tax to built it is the same, but if it is sold the tax will be $200 for the SBS instead of $5.00.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Oh, i see now, now everything is CLEAR! Thanks, for all this time I always thought AOWs and SBSs were one and the same, just different nomenclature. Well, to edit what I origionaly said: I intend to make an 870 SBS...
So theoretically, just to clear things up, I could take an old Remington 870 Police, or a newish 870 Wingmaster, stock and all, and make it an SBS, rather than an AOW? (just to clear things up.)
That super short 870 forend you've got there, Banshee, is pretty cool.... is that like some rare oiled finish o walnut or something?
And i've seen many people do what you did to their "shorter" AOW/SBS's, where they have that kind of sling mount on the front of the tube, and i've always been interested in them more as a handguard then a means of attaching a sling, so what kind of sling mount do you have there?

And does anyone know if Mossberg 500 Tactical Cruisers come already factory drilled and tapped???? Mossberg customer service STILL hasn't responded.......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:35 pm 
Crown Grade

GunNutTom wrote:
That super short 870 forend you've got there, Banshee, is pretty cool.... is that like some rare oiled finish o walnut or something?
And i've seen many people do what you did to their "shorter" AOW/SBS's, where they have that kind of sling mount on the front of the tube, and i've always been interested in them more as a handguard then a means of attaching a sling, so what kind of sling mount do you have there?

the fore-end is a cut down 870 TB TRAP Walnut unit. I wanted my 870 to look like a 870 shotgun, just shorter. The vertical fore-end is the easiest way to go, but I wanted mine to be differant. For a sling, I just use an AR15 sling with a detachable loop on the grip end and the sling plate on the front.