CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: Is buying a used 1974 Citori worth it?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:10 am 
Crown Grade

There is nothing wrong with buying a use 1974 Citori. Some people have gun for year in there homes and never shoot them. Just make sure that it is good shape and it will last you a life time and more.
I have a old Browning pump that was my fathers and it must be 70 years old and it still work just fine.

Post subject: Re: Is buying a used 1974 Citori worth it?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:36 am 
Diamond Grade

BernieS wrote:
OK guys,

I am new to this forum. I am buying my first O/U. I found a Citori manufactured in 1974, per serial number, that looks to be in excellent condition. It's in my price range, but how much life is left in this gun? Am I better of purchasing a newer o/u for less than $1250? I am new to the sport so hopefully I'll be using whatever gun I buy for years and for thousands of rounds. Thank you.

Bernie S.

Is there such a creature as a 1974 Citori?

I could be mistaken but I thought that a 74 would be pre citori.

Post subject: Re: Is buying a used 1974 Citori worth it?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:42 am 
Crown Grade

son of thurlo wrote:
Is there such a creature as a 1974 Citori?

Yes, there is;

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant ... e=C-013-04

Post subject: Re: re: Is buying a used 1974 Citori worth it?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:43 am 
Crown Grade

xr250rDude wrote:
Older stuff a lot of times is just as good, if not BETTER than the brand new stuff. Over the years with the raising costs of manufacturing

And the fact that most Remington's nowadays are made in Japan or Russia, etc. Yuk, give me American made please. I know some Brownings are Japanese made, I don't know about the Citori.

Most Remingtons continue to be made in the USA. They import some low priced guns from Russia (SPR/Spartan), as well as some mid-range guns from Italy (Premier), but most of today's Remingtons are still made in America.

I'm not aware of Browning ever sourcing their guns from the USA. Browning's standard production pumps and O/Us are all sourced from Japan (and have been for 30+ years), while their current autoloaders are made in Portugal using Belgian parts. I believe you can still order a Belgian-made Superposed through their custom shop, but the price will run you well into the 5 figures.

Post subject: Re: re: Is buying a used 1974 Citori worth it?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:40 am 
Crown Grade

BernieS wrote:
I myself use a 34 year old Winchester .22 rifle and last week shot a 70 yr old Mossberg .22 rifle. These guns still shoot incredibly straight.

My comment on old guns comes from a trapshooter's perspective where the guns are used to shoot 5,000 to 30,000 rounds/year, for years.

If you are shooting that volume and counting on a particular gun, it is not good if you break a firing pin and then have to go on a lengthy search to source one and wait through the process. If you have another gun to shoot, then it may not be as much of a problem.

Old doesn't mean that you can't always get parts, age and the model does. Winchester M12's are old and haven't been made for a while but parts will be available for a long time. This may not be so for a version of a gun that was made for a few years in relatively low numbers.

Old guns will often shoot well, I would not dispute that. I had a 1898 manufacture Marlin 1893 .38-55 that was one of the most accurate traditional lever guns I have seen, when it was 100 years old. It showed no sign of any issues but if it had broken something, I would not have gone into just any shop and obtained parts for it. I sold it not because of concern over parts but due to lack of interest in it.

Old guns will often go 1,000's of rounds without problems, some are in good shape because they spent most of their many decades in a closet, cabinet or safe, not being shot enough to accumulate a high round count, some guns stand a high round count better than others. I have my Dad's A5, made in 1963, its old but has a low round count since it was strictly used for upland game, it will keep a low round count because I honestly don't enjoy shooting it; it will wind up being quite an old gun, in good shape, at this rate.

The question of old guns has a lot of variables, some of which are; how much the person likes the gun, their planned use, what the make/model is, parts (are parts available, condition, not shooting enough to worry, don't care etc.), intial price of the gun....etc. There is no one, easy answer.

As Win M12 commented;

xr250rDude wrote:
And the fact that most Remington's nowadays are made in Japan or Russia, etc.

No Remington guns have been made in Japan, the Spatan line of break action guns and an autoloader are imported from Russia, The recent "Preimer" o/u's are made in Italy, 870's, 1100's & 11-87's are made in Ilion, NY.

xr250rDude wrote:
I know some Brownings are Japanese made, I don't know about the Citori.

Citori's, BT99's, BPS and the Cynergy o/u are all made by B.C, Miroku in Kochi City, Japan. (I really like my BT99 and Citori's, I buy a "Browning" to get a Miroku) There never have been any U.S. made, o/u's branded "Browning" produced for sale.

http://www.clayshootingusa.com/readers/ ... nmaker.pdf

xr250rDude wrote:
give me American made please.

Since the discussion is about an o/u, in currently produced guns, this would limit the choices to the Ruger Red Label or the much higher end stuff like Kolar, pretty much everything else in an o/u comes from overseas.