CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgraded replacement stock on Baikal IZH-27
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:47 am 
Presentation Grade

The Russian owner of this IZH-27 with nice engraved receiver never liked the wood on it. When he scratched and damaged the stock a number of times in the field, he decided to replace it with a better looking stock that he had to special order.

I like the new one very much. Opinions?

Old stock (as purchased in 2006)

The engraved receiver (PRESTIGE version)

The forearm has been replaced but the stock has just been repaired so far

Replacement completed.

Post subject: re: Upgraded replacement stock on Baikal IZH-27
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Very nice, Toz......

I'm a big fan of darker walnut wood and this custom job looks just right.. This shotgun appears to have been done in Black Walnut rather than the lighter shades of wood commonly found in the Eastern European regions.

Adding a well defined cheek piece, thumb pad cut and pistol grip really sets this gun off. A very good example of what can be done and be done in good taste.. It makes me want to quit procrastinating and get on with my own projects...

The Russians apparently haven't discovered Limbsaver or Pachmeyr Recoil Pads yet and we in the U.S aren't insisting on having sling swivels installed on these imported firearms.... The Russians pound their shoulders "black and blue" but they can carry them comfortably. We lug these guns around hunting all day wearing our shoulders out but insist on comfortable recoil pads .... go figure!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That is the same checkering pattern design that is on my sporting clays IZH27EM-1C. I also like very much that dark stock myself. Mine is much lighter but the wood has decent grain in it. And needles to say I don't have the cheek rest either although I can live with out it on a shotgun. No doubt about though, that is one nicer looking Baikal. Too bad we can't get the special order stock upgrades over here in North America. Thanks for the pics Toz.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:28 pm 

Toz if I get my hands on a ruski o/u can I send it to you for some woodwork?

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hummmmm...

We better stop talking about cheek rests, jds.. Who knows -- if Baikal/Remington people monitor this forum they could decide it would be a good idea to start making them a regular production item on new 310's.

The problem would be Baikal apparently builds all their firearms for right hand shooters and I doubt they'd do a specially designed run for lefties like me.

The cast is for right hand shooters, the palm swell on the Sporting is for right hand shooters. Even the vent ribs on some models shows a design bias toward right hand shooters. All understandable because right hand shooters make up such a huge portion of the population.

These features are very subtle and don't interfere in the least with comfortable shooting for a lefty, but the usual sharper edge of an elevated cheek piece on a gun intended for a right hand shooter can be a different story....

Just my humble opinion on an issue that could materialize someday....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I could be dead wrong but I don't think you have to worry TDC. Other then custom type or altered Baikal’s I see here, the only shotguns I can think of that come with cheek rests are some outrageously priced English and German built ones . I'm sure there are others but they are usually pretty higher end scatter guns. As for any advantage of a cheek rest on a shotgun...? I really don't think there really is in my opinion. I was watching the US shotgun team getting ready for the Olympics on Shooting-USA. They showed many of the guns and none of them had a cheek rest. They had just about every other known adjustable contraption for comb height, casting and drop but no cheek rests. Now I think the cheek rest is nice on a hunting rifle but I personally don't really care or think you really need them on shotguns. Especially the way some of these Baikal’s are cast. If they ever start making check rest stocks for the SPR line...Nothing a good belt sander couldn’t take care of...:D Especially for a guy like you who has the knack for working with wood.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here is another one upgraded in a different way. Also with a cheekpad. This one has a recoil pad and high visibility sights added.

I prefer the first gun to this one. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like the first one better Toz but no doubt they are both really nice looking Baikals. I would be happy with either one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I like them both. These two guns show a lot of patience and talent by their builders. Neither gun appears to have been created from an original factory stock but were custom built.

I like the dark wood on the first gun and the wire scroll engraving on its receiver (without the turkey). I like the unique border of the checkering on the second gun (looks like stitched leather), and the grip cap on the second one (I know how difficult it is to shape the grip to the cap for a perfect fit and contour).

I'm not a big fan of the smoothed wood area behind the receiver and above the trigger on the second gun. I like some wood shaping in that area, whether merging to a point like the first gun or rounded...

I'm with you guys on preferring the first gun over the second. The whole package from the wood choice, the tasteful checkering, the thumb pad cut, the cheek rest workmanship and all the other work just seems to fit..

Keep 'um coming, Toz. It's always interesting and fun to see nice workmanship and creativity by talented people.... 8) :D