CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Biggest Rattlesnake I've ever seen
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Granted, I didn't see it in person, but still! I was poking around the Bond Derringer website and saw this. The snake measured 9'1"!

Then there's this one, also in Utah, but there's a bunch more snakes.

Now, I hate rattlesnakes as much as the next guy, but this is rediculous. The need to release about 500 blue indigo snakes in that canyon!

BT

Cole

Post subject: re: Biggest Rattlesnake I've ever seen
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Seen them both before. That first one has been around for years, and claimed to have come from numerous places, as well as Utah.

The second one, I believe was just on here within the last two weeks and was claimed to be a nest of Mojave rattlers. Don't remember it saying whether it was CA, NE, AZ or UT. Could be any of those.

Hogs would likely be a better bet than other snakes that couldn't take the climate. Even the hogs would need water, though.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The giant nest of snakes could have been taken somewhere in Utah, but it looks just like the nest that was found about 20 miles from my home in the High Mojave Desert.

You shouldn't have any hatred toward these snakes. Most of the time they try to avoid humans. Further, they usually try to warn you off. Also, they only bite in self defense. Let's face it, you're too big to be food.

I've lived in the Mojave Desert for 18 years. I've walked hundreds of miles through the desert and I've never had an encounter with a rattle snake. Most of the people that get bitten were either provoking the snake or accidentally stepped on it. Both situations are avoidable; first by not being stupid and second by paying attention to where you are walking.

The snakes are a good thing for us here. They keep the rodent population down and provide food for the hawks.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Actually, I haven't had near the trouble with rattlesnakes as I have with Cottonmouths. I've been fishing and had a cottonmouth bite a sinker, and had them grab onto stringers of fish too (hanging off of the boat). Rattlesnakes do seem to stay away from humans much more readily than Cottonmouths, which, IMO, are fairly aggressive snakes.

BT

Cole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:37 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm in south La, and will take a rattlesnake over a Cottonmouth any day! A Cottonmouth is 10 times agressive as a rattler. I have lost 2 dogs to Cottonmouths and none to rattlers in the last 10 yrs. Just my experience!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Amen to that. I've seen enough of them both. I've actually had cottonmouths charge my boat and try to climb in. They are nasty critters.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

(repeat)

Last edited by Irish Setter on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

(another repeat) What's going on? Why does my post keep repeating?

Last edited by Irish Setter on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:07 pm 
Limited Edition

There was a picture of a Eastern Rattler that was over 11' ( I recall 11' 9") back in the mid 80s. It was ran over as it was crossing a road.

I have been to rattler dens when they are emerging, kind scary seeing 100s of them in the sun all bundled up...I dont kill them anylonger as they do good for us & I have never been bite, but warned many many many times by them in my hunting excursions & prarie dogging.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:13 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It's something how these things get attached and tagged..

See that gas compressor station in the first pic, I can be sitting right there in less than 20 minutes----in a good Chevrolet of course. Since probably several people would know the name, I'll use Dumas, Texas as a reference. Go East on 152 out of town 14.5 miles, then South near the edge of the breaks on Hooks/Natural Gas Road and go about 3.5 miles. You're there.

EDIT: And.....the snake the guy is holding up wasn't 9' 1", pretty sure it was 91 inches which is still a danged good snake. Biggest coontail I ever caught was 79 inches and he was more than a handful.

The pic of the swarm of snakes was taken in April IIRC, in the Palo Duro Canyon. South of Amarillo, East of Canyon http://www.palodurocanyon.com/ and was on local TV that night. Since that's the time of year that so many get out and hike/bike the canyons------as a warning.

Was just an exceptionally warm day (upper 60's) and they got up enough heat to come out and Sun.

I've got a picture here somewhere of another mess, taken within that same week but ~80 miles South in the Caprock Canyon State park http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/find ... k_canyons/

I'll see if I can find it in this mess of stuff.

Post subject: Re: re: Biggest Rattlesnake I've ever seen
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:45 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Rastoff wrote:

You shouldn't have any hatred toward these snakes. Most of the time they try to avoid humans. Further, they usually try to warn you off. Also, they only bite in self defense. Let's face it, you're too big to be food.

I've lived in the Mojave Desert for 18 years. I've walked hundreds of miles through the desert and I've never had an encounter with a rattle snake.

Knock yourself out, but you don't have a clue :roll:

Go live and work around them ALL your life and see if you have the same attitude.

1. Not all rattlers have rattles, in fact it isn't uncommon at all to find one (found 2 this year alone) that lost them early in their life. They may also be bound up from shedding. Or for all anyone can tell, they never developed.

Quote:
I've lived in the Mojave Desert for 18 years
And I've walked a mile from a tractor to my pickup and killed 6 in under 30 minutes.

3. I've had them come across a flowing ditch full of water, to get me------they didn't give a crap if I was food or not.

Go lie under a truck taking the driveshaft out and have one come look you in the eye, he ain't just lookin to follow heat traces either. I can name you dozens of such instances.

Quote:
They keep the rodent population down and provide food for the hawks.
Yeah well, so do Bullsnakes/Racers/Hognosed etc etc, we don't kill them, but I will and have killed every damned rattler I come across, will go out of my way to kill one and so does everyone else that has to work around them. We sure haven't hurt the population much.

I've been around my share of Copperheads too, they get the same medicine. Stink to high heaven.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Kind of tough to shotgun or shovel them when you're lying under a pickup, isn't it? What do you do in that situation, nail them in the head with a wrench?

BT

Cole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:31 pm 
Crown Grade

That nest of rattlers looks creepy! That's one good thing about living where I live is we don't see any of those. 8)

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:33 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
What do you do in that situation
Slap them out of the way before they strike, you can't move a wrench that quick, get the hell out from under there while they regroup.

You hit them hard enough, especially in the head (and don't get hooked) they are going to boogie out, or cover their head with their body to protect it.

If a bullsnake gets after one, the first thing they do is try one strike and the bull usually gets them behind the head. If he doesn't, the rattler will coil up and over his head, with it on the ground.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:09 am 

jugchoke wrote:
Quote:
The second one, I believe was just on here within the last two weeks and was claimed to be a nest of Mojave rattlers. Don't remember it saying whether it was CA, NE, AZ or UT. Could be any of those.

Don't believe Mohaves. Lived many years in the AZ desert and I'm pretty sure that Mohaves are pretty much confined to the Sonoran Desert. There's an old saying in Arizona, "Spring has sprung; the grass is riz; I wonder where the Mohaves is?

Color alone is not the way to identify a snake, but it also bothers me that none of the snakes in the nest seemed to display the pale green color common to a Mohave. They look like Western diamondbacks.

BTW, I once killed a 5' Western that was laying on the steps of our house N of Wickenburg when my wife and I were doing ranch work. We just returned from a fireworks show on the Fourth of July. I tanned and mounted that one and presented it to my godson; it was pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is the Mojave Green rattlesnakes most likely habitat. I'm sure you can find some outside of this area:
Just because you don't see one every day doesn't mean they aren't there. But I don't have a clue so, this is probably faulty information.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:28 am 
Crown Grade

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that NO ONE has ever reported, or even seen a Mojave rattlesnake out in the Big Bend.

BT

Cole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Having spent about half of my life in Tucson, way back when men wore cowboy hats not ball caps backwards. I have come upon RattleBugs. The biggest one I have seen was attached to my buddies fatty part of his palm/thumb. We were clearing some brush and he was unlucky enough to have the plaeasure. He is a Yaqui indian and thought he was somehow immune to the bite, long story short, we got him to the hospital and they administered anti venom. You need to see the flesh eating abilities on a hand to appreciate the venom and what it can do to you. At any rate, he jumped up with the rattler attached to his hand and threw his hand over his head, he is just under 6 feet tall and the snake still dragged its tail on the ground. I did the old "shovel" manouvre on it which put an end to the conflict.
It took several months for his hand to heal somewhere near normal as the venom was eating his skin and flesh.
I had a house up in the Tucson Mtns before it was populated like it is now. I ran across a bunch of baby rattlers and happened to have my trusty shovel. It was funny, they wouldn't strike at the shovel (steel) end, but hit vigorously at the wood end warmed by my hand. Sorry to report, I shoveled them too, cut their heads off and threw them up onto my house roof so my dogs wouldn't find the heads and get poisoned.

Post subject: Re: re: Biggest Rattlesnake I've ever seen
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Irish Setter wrote:
Amen to that. I've seen enough of them both. I've actually had cottonmouths charge my boat and try to climb in. They are nasty critters.

....note to self... sell boat...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:59 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Notice how he's holding it at the end of a long pole, snake towards the camera, and himself further away? That's an old fisherman's trick to make it look bigger than it really is. In the pic, it appears as though the part of the snake that's dangling from the pole down is as long as he is tall; if you think about it, that can't possibly be. I'd like to know how long that pole is.

Is it a big'n? Hell yes. Is is 9'+? I doubt it. If it was, why not stretch it out on the ground next to a tape measure to eliminate any doubt, rather than using opitical illusions to make it look bigger than it really is?