CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta al1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:30 pm 
Utility Grade

One of my employees comes into the office with a shotgun and said he might want to sell it. I offer him a $100.00 because I figure he's going to ask me for the money anyway and he says OK.....Well here is what I bought, Pietro Beretta, Gardone VT-Brescia, Mod AL 1 12 guage Semi. 2 3/4", 26" barrell IC. Also has a marking of XXVI. I figured it might be a good/fun backup gun for quail hunting. It's in fair shape...I 've got prettier guns by far, but it'll shoot and cycles rounds without problem. ( just happened to have some 2 3/4 shells in my desk, so I went out and ran some thru it) Can any one give me some background on this, maybe a ball park price on it...No interest in selling it just curious as to what I bought and how I did.

Post subject: re: Beretta al1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Okay, Dude.........

Welcome to the SGW Forum........

Here is what my last years copy of Gun Traders Guide has to say about the AL-1.

Beretta Field Gun: NIB $448, Ex $359, Gd $244

No rib on barrel, no engraving.

Imported: 1971-73

Looks like you owe your employee a little more money!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

XXVI means made in 1970, which was probably the first year they were made. I don't think they were advertised for sale in the US until 1971. AL-1, AL-2,and AL-3 (different levels of trim, engraving, etc) were the names given to them by the importer, Garcia (same company that made the Garcia fishing stuff). Beretta sold them in Europe (and perhaps a few in the US through other importers) as the Model 300. Does yours have the Garcia name on it?

I have an AL-1 that is probably identical to yours. (Date code XX8, 1972) I bought it in close to new condition a few months ago for $300 and a box of doughnuts. The gun shop had it priced at $350, so I offered $300. The salesman looked it up on the computer and came back shaking his head, saying "Sorry, the best I can do is $300 and a box of doughnuts." I said, "Man, you drive a hard bargain - OK, I'll pay that, but you will have to trust me until tomorrow for the doughnuts." So I bought it, and came back the next day with the doughnuts.

I like that little gun, but I couldn't shoot it very well at sporting clays until I put a rubber boot on the stock to lengthen it about 3/4" and replaced the 26" barrel with a 28" bbl off a 303. Then I was really smokin' 'um! In fact, I would consider the AL-1 with the 303 barrel to be my 2nd backup, in case both my 391's fail me. I would even put it ahead of the 303.

Two days ago I won an internet auction for a Model 300, but I don't have it yet. It will be interesting to compare the 300 and the AL-1, I expect them to be identical, since that 300 has the ribless barrel like the AL-1, not a ribbed barrel like an AL-2. I only paid $154 for that one, but it is beat up, banged up, scratched, chipped, dented, cracked, faded, stained, rusted, busted, and disgusted. It is worth more than what I paid, just for the spare parts, since many of the parts will fit all the 300-series guns. I actually shot a 391 with the AL-1 trigger group in it, and it works fine except that you have to press the bolt release button to load the second shell.

The 2005 edition of the Blue Book values the AL-1 at $165-385 depending on condition.

The AL-1 with 26" barrel is very light, so it should be good for upland hunting where you need to do a lot of walking. I think if the stock was cut down a little it would make a great gun for a small lady or a boy. They would have to use extra-light loads, though, because it is so light it will kick some.

A lot of the stuff in the 391 Disassembly post may be helpful. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=101242

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:03 am 
Utility Grade

It does have Garcia on it...never thought about placing it with the reel company...I brought it to work this morning and cleaned it up pretty good, went out back and ran 1/2 box of shells thru and it cycles and ejects good. Still going to let a friend of mine (real gunsmith, not like me, just enough to be dangerous), go thru it and and give it a once over. It does have a 3/4 extended pad on it so it fits really good when I throw it up to fire. Think I'll keep it and take to south Texas on some quail hunts! As for giving a little more for it, I'll just consider it an advance for when he comes back around.
Thanks for the replies.