CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta Xtra-Wood
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:32 am 
Limited Edition

I am placing an order for a 391 Teknys Gold Sporting, and was wondering what you thought of the Xtra-Wood option.
The shop does not have any of these models in stock so that I can see them first hand.
I lools good in books and on the web. But I would like to know about how well it holds up, in the Real World.
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Beretta Xtra-Wood
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:06 am 
Field Grade

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm getting ready to buy one too, but none of the dealers have them in stock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don't get it, to me it just looks goofy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:55 am 
Tournament Grade

BLKLABMAN wrote:
I am placing an order for a 391 Teknys Gold Sporting, and was wondering what you thought of the Xtra-Wood option.

Thank you.

The Xtra wood option is only on the Teknys Std. "Field" models, all the Sporting models have real wood.

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

xtra wood looks like a$$ it looks chintzy when i see it an image of one of those station wagons w/ the fake wood on the sides comes to mind ive seen one firsthand and its just plain ugly.

Aaron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

The first time I saw that junk was when shopping for my Silver Pigeon II. I lost quite a bit of respect for Beretta that they would ever let something that god awful out of their shop. I hope whoever designed it was drunk at the time. Anywhoo, I think it's wise to stay away from it. Unless ugly is your thing, hey ugly guns need love too I guess! Fortunately all the respect came back when I snapped shut the SP II for the first time, SOLID.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:47 am 
Limited Edition

Xtra wood is, as I described it in another post, the shotgunning equivalent of breast implants. If you know anything about either subject you can easily spot the fakes.

Xtra wood does however provide a service to shotgunners. It helps weed out the know-nothings from the knowledgeable. If a person's reaction to a gun with Xtra wood is "WOW, looka da AWESOME wood," they instantly reveal that they don't know much. If the reaction is "Well, um, isn't that uh, interesting" then you know they are people who know something about shotgun stocks.

To a lesser extent sideplates can serve the same purpose. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:13 pm 
Field Grade

I saw it on the rack and it did catch my eye so I asked to take a closer look. Looks like wood grain painted onto a plastic stock. Not for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:03 am 
Limited Edition

YUCK :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:29 am 
Tournament Grade

ok I agree it isn't for me but it isn't as bad as all the others have been bashing it. It is a laminate not unlike some of the higher dollar rifle stocks out there and it is still a wood stock underneath not plastic. Plus beretta will reskin it anytime it gets damaged. It does look good too it looks like one of their high dollar gun stocks like the eel or s09 models.

sabatti 12g ou 28"
verona lx692g 20g ou 28"
beretta urika sporting 12g 28"
Franchi 712 raptor 12g 30"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:41 am 
Limited Edition

I have a teknys gold sporting and it has the xtra wood. I think it looks ok, at best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:33 pm 
Field Grade

I just saw the Xtra Wood at a gun show. Stay away unless you like the look of plastic slipcovers on your livingroom futniture, lime green shag rugs or the romatic glow of a lava light reflecting on the velvet image of Elvis!!!

Stick with the real stuff!!!

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:28 pm 
mattyt98 wrote:
ok I agree it isn't for me but it isn't as bad as all the others have been bashing it. It is a laminate not unlike some of the higher dollar rifle stocks out there and it is still a wood stock underneath not plastic. Plus beretta will reskin it anytime it gets damaged. It does look good too it looks like one of their high dollar gun stocks like the eel or s09 models.

Except it is really shiny. I've seen this on their O/U shotguns and I think it looks cheesy. I'd rather have plain walnut than the so called Xtra-wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Onyx pro 12 ga. with 3 1/2 inch chamber comes with Extra Wood,but it is a flat finish versus a shiny one. It looks pretty good, still looks fake but not nearly as bad as the shiny that comes on the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:09 pm 
I really don't understand why many of you don't like the Onyx Pro. Kind of like one of the trap models that look so different from regular wood? Just my opinion.

My real concern would be how durable the finish actually is? I don't like the idea of a gun that has to be sent back to the factory for a scratch in the stock? Thinking long term, would the finish still look good after some real use. Looks ok but IMO, have some real concerns with the finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:13 am 
Utility Grade

Handled an O/U w/ Extra Wood at Bass Pro Shop a few months ago it looks just like what it is "PLASTIC".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:25 pm 
Want a Teknys Silver real bad. However, when I went into the gun shop the Xtra Wood immediately turned me off. Trying to get the distributor to locate one without the Xtra. Doesn't seem like my chances are too good. Will probably roll over to a Benelli Monte.

How could a company this old and knowledgeable make this big of a blunder?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:34 am 
I made the dealer take the forearm off to prove to me that it wasn't plastic. Some of the darker versions aren't quite so bad but it certainly isn't a plus in my book.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

For whatever it's worth I've seen a couple at the range and I thought they looked over done/cheesy.

Keep well, keep happy & keep your head on the stock. - Robert Stack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:41 am 
Field Grade

I have the Teknys Silver with the extra wood. I get nothing but compliments on it even from people who don't like the "synthetic" nature of it admire it's look. Sorry to say, but the only people who reacted so poorly and with such venom about this finish at my shooting club were hill billy types.

It really is a matter of taste. Some people here describe it as Plasticky, *ss, cheesy. I think it looks great. Get what YOU like. Opinions are like ***holes. Everyone's got one.