Which barrel length for Trap?
30 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
32 39%  39%  [ 15 ]
34 29%  29%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 38
 Post subject: 30 or 32 inch barrel?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thinking about buying a dedicated trap gun. I live out in the middle of nowhere so trying out trap guns is not an option. I shot best with my 390 (B/S with 28" bbl) so I've decided to look for a good used 391 Urika 1 trap or PT. My question is 30 or 32 in barrels? Which one is the "standard", which one do most people shoot? I know I can tell the difference between a 26" and 28" so my fear is that 32" may "feel" be too long. I know I would be happy with a 30", but is that any improvement over 28" (with a monte carlo stock)? Any and all advice appreciated!

Post subject: re: 30 or 32 inch barrel?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

My suggestion would be to go to your closest trap club and ask to hold as many different sized guns as possible. This will give you an idea (not perfect, but its better than guessing).

It's a personal preference. Some like 30", 32" and 34". I personally feel that a 34" is too long and too much for me (I'm a pretty small person), but find there really is no difference between a 30 or 32 in how it feels (I have both).

Fit is the primary focus, so after you decide what you want, and if you have the neck (body) type for a Monte Carlo stock, go for it. Whatever you do, try and get a stock that has an adjustable comb on it or get one installed.

At a minimum, a 30" barrel will be preferable. Where you go from there is really up to you. Good luck!

Post subject: Re: 30 or 32 inch barrel?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

b5davis wrote:
Thinking about buying a dedicated trap gun. I live out in the middle of nowhere so trying out trap guns is not an option. I shot best with my 390 (B/S with 28" bbl) so I've decided to look for a good used 391 Urika 1 trap or PT. My question is 30 or 32 in barrels? Which one is the "standard", which one do most people shoot? I know I can tell the difference between a 26" and 28" so my fear is that 32" may "feel" be too long. I know I would be happy with a 30", but is that any improvement over 28" (with a monte carlo stock)? Any and all advice appreciated!

I pretty much agree with 682gal. I don't think it's the be all.
If you've been using an auto of 28", you're actually, for all intents & purposes using a 30" bbl o/u because the action of the auto is a couple inches longer anyhow. Maybe you already have your trapgun. Why not look into fitting a Beretta adjustable comb to your 390. I have a Beretta adjustable comb & can speak for their strength, ease & flexability of adjustment.
If you really want another gun, then by all means, however, if money's a bit tight right now, it is a viable option.

Regards.................SOT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

B5 -- as an aside and for further consideration.

My husband had a 390 Silver Mallard that he "converted" to a trap gun by buying a 30" 390 Super Trap Barrel and changing the stock to accommodate an adjustable comb. He shot that 390 for a very long time before he re-did my 391 to fit him.

We still have it actually (barrel, not the gun). Something to consider as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You may see this as a simple question, but the answer is very complicated.

682Gal wrote:
It's a personal preference.

This is a most accurate statement.

I have 3 guns that I use for Trap. A 30" Browning Citori XT Trap, a 32" Browning Cynergy Sporting and a Beretta 303 Special Trap with two barrels; a 30" fixed Full and a 32" with Mobil chokes.

The Beretta with the 30" barrel is long. With the 32" barrel is crazy long. But, this gun is really great for Trap. It gives me a long sighting plane and as an auto it's very soft.

The Cynergy is a little barrel heavy and that's why the XT is 30"; I didn't want it to be barrel heavy. I think barrel length is important more to balance than sight plane. Every manufacturer is different and barrels from different manufacturers have different barrel weights.

Having said all that, I don't think semi-autos make good dedicated Trap guns. Can you do well with them? Of course you can. I just think the O/U lends itself better to the Trap discipline.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:55 am 
Field Grade

34" on single barrel 30" n a pump or automatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:36 am 
Crown Grade

b5davis wrote:
I've decided to look for a good used 391 Urika 1 trap or PT. My question is 30 or 32 in barrels? ........I know I would be happy with a 30", but is that any improvement over 28" (with a monte carlo stock)? Any and all advice appreciated!
In an autoloader, the 30" barrel will be most useful for trap. I feel that longer barrels (on an auto) tend to be a bit awkward.
Is the 30" barrel any improvement over a 28" barrel? Not functionally or ballistically. Possibly psychologically it is.....

That's my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I really thought about an O/U for trap, but they are just so expensive. I have a Beretta Whitewing O/U with 28" barrels, but being a lightweight field gun it would just beat me silly after an afternoon of trap (but it may be an excellent skeet gun).

Post subject: Re: re: 30 or 32 inch barrel?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:20 am 
Crown Grade

b5davis wrote:
being a lightweight field gun it would just beat me silly after an afternoon of trap (but it may be an excellent skeet gun).

Does one feel less recoil shooting a skeet target than shooting a trap target?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:06 am 
Diamond Grade

When I went to Joel Etchens to pick out my 391, I planned on getting one with 30" barrels. After shouldering guns with 30 and 32" barrles, I went with 32". Just felt better balanced to me. Remember though with that big reciever capable of handeling 3" shells, 32" of barrel and extended chokes, a 32" 391 is always the tallest gun on the gun rack, and longer than a 34" barreled breack action gun. A 30" barrel is probably the way for you to go, but don't make up your mind until you've handled both.

~Michael

Post subject: Re: re: 30 or 32 inch barrel?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:27 am 
Crown Grade

682Gal wrote:
It's a personal preference. Some like 30", 32" and 34". I personally feel that a 34" is too long and too much for me (I'm a pretty small person), but find there really is no difference between a 30 or 32 in how it feels (I have both).

This pretty much sums it up.

When I started into the game, 30" was pretty standard on a trap o/u and I had two of then in that length. Sometime after the 1970's, they started getting longer.

I am a 6' - 3" "porker" :oops: so by proportion, I have gravitated to longer tubes on the break actions.

I like a 32" on the o/u, my BT99 is a 34" (but a 34" BT's overall length is only about 1/2" longer than the 30" 1100 or 870 trap models I have shot so action type also comes into the mix). I wouldn't go over 30" on a repeating gun for my own use, the action adds overall length to the gun.

It is a personal thing and not everyone will want the lengths I chose, they aren't right for everyone but they work for me.